Film | Leonardo Dicaprio | News

A New Trailer for Baz Luhrmann's 'The Great Gatsby' Has Arrived: VIDEO

Gatsby

A new trailer for Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby has hit the web today and features music  from Beyoncé x André 3000, Florence + The Machine, and a moody track from Lana Del Rey.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_gatsby

Comments

1. Seems to me "Gatsby" was always better reading than a movie. And I'm not a DiCaprio fan. Pass.

Posted by: MIke | Apr 4, 2013 9:44:49 AM

2. I swear I feel like I fell down the rabbit hole with this. I despised the book in English class. I found it horribly pretentious and boring. And the fact that its being made into a bizarre 3D extravaganza seems like something I would have some weird stress dream about. No thanks!

Posted by: AJ | Apr 4, 2013 9:54:00 AM

3. Love it.

Posted by: lucas | Apr 4, 2013 9:58:19 AM

4. Carey Mulligan is wearing the same expression throughout the whole movie.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Apr 4, 2013 10:06:37 AM

5. Most of us who love Gatsby love it for Fitzgerald's writing and for the sort of impressionistic take on 1920s fantasy life. It's not really a story that lends itself as well to filmmaking format; it needs to be read to be appreciated. But maybe one of these days some director will prove me wrong. I have a feeling Luhrmann won't be the one.

Posted by: DMC | Apr 4, 2013 10:14:13 AM

6. I've never seen a Long Island estate quite like that, thought it does remind me of the Beast's castle in Beauty and the Beast -- particularly when it gets to the fireworks.

I wonder what Nick Carraway is doing while all this is going on....

Posted by: Elsewhere | Apr 4, 2013 10:19:59 AM

7. Was that Adele doing the vocals? I got major chills.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 4, 2013 10:24:05 AM

8. Looks ridiculously over the top, and not in a good way. This won't appeal to the purists who appreciate the novel, nor will it attract cinephiles looking for a ground-breaking movie experience. Doomed to failure.

Posted by: Deets | Apr 4, 2013 10:31:32 AM

9. Deets - I'm not going to advocate for a movie that I haven't seen, but I would argue that the sort of cinematic opulence and overexposure are purposeful effects. The novel focuses on the over-the-top excess and grandiosity and uses that to build expectations in the reader. I think Luhrmann understood that and used his characteristic visual opulence to reinforce that point.

Posted by: Tyler | Apr 4, 2013 11:19:23 AM

10. Deets - I'm not going to advocate for a movie that I haven't seen, but I would argue that the sort of cinematic opulence and overexposure are purposeful effects. The novel focuses on the over-the-top excess and grandiosity and uses that to build expectations in the reader. I think Luhrmann understood that and used his characteristic visual opulence to reinforce that point.

Posted by: Tyler | Apr 4, 2013 11:19:23 AM

11. Jack M: That's Florence and the Machine. If I don't see the movie I will probably pick up the soundtrack. DAMN!

Posted by: AJ | Apr 4, 2013 11:22:59 AM

12. Why not include a gay spin in there somewhere with someone so much nicer and better looking than anyone else that you can't help wondering why he doesn't fall in love with him instead. Say Jake Gyllenhal. Oh, right, the film's already made. Too bad, the best part I can see is the Art Deco design work.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 4, 2013 11:57:40 AM

13. Looks fascinating to me.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Apr 4, 2013 11:59:16 AM

14. Well, it's not quite like the book is it...

Posted by: Max | Apr 4, 2013 12:13:44 PM

15. That. looks. awful.

Posted by: Darren | Apr 4, 2013 1:00:14 PM

16. "bloated" is the word that comes to mind.

Posted by: bandanajack | Apr 4, 2013 1:06:34 PM

17. Pretty much looks like it is going to be the worst movie of the year. If you can't even make a good two minute trailer then a two hour movie is going to be painful to watch.

Posted by: KM | Apr 4, 2013 1:26:26 PM

18. there's no way it can be as much of a misfire as the 1970s version. despite opulent sets and costumes, and game performances by Mia Farrow and the classic eyes of Karen Black, it's a complete freakin' bore.

i mean, it doesn't even have the sense to end with the classic words that end the novel - that green light on the water is all but ignored.

i enjoy luhrmann's filmmaking, i respond to his cinematic language.

but as others have commented on, the novel is in so many ways about the glories of excess, bravado, show and "performance". this seems rather fitting.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 4, 2013 2:15:41 PM

19. Looks totally entertaining and indulgent. God I would hate to watch movies with you people!

Posted by: Gregoire | Apr 4, 2013 2:32:21 PM

20. What part of "Jazz Age" does Luhrmann not understand? The score sounds totally inappropriate to the period. If one wants to score a 20s story with contemporary singers, why not do it - as in "DeLovely" - using today's artists performing in the style of that era? Nothing about the music in the trailer is evocative of the 1920s. Now it's out that Beyonce will be singing Amy Winehouse on this soundtrack. WTF?

As a bloated exercise in CGI abuse (shot in Australia for NYC & Long Island) and 3D (why?).

Another stunning fact: "Chicago" got made for $45million - 1/3 the budget of "Great Gatsby". Same period, A-list stars, fully sung score, elaborate choreography, etc. What the hell did they spend $127million on here?

Posted by: MFinBH | Apr 4, 2013 2:47:45 PM

21. MF - I guess you didn't see Luhrmann's "Moulin Rouge" - it's artistic conceit - intentional anachronisms.

you know, like in Moulin Rouge. and Romeo + Juliet.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 4, 2013 2:56:06 PM

22. I could not sit through Moulin Rouge and I tried 5 times (I love Ewan McGregor and I love musicals), as I found it to be wildly overproduced and hard to watch. The film techniques that work in a 4 minute music video are hard to sustain (to this viewer)for 2 hours.

I suppose it would be the videogame afficionado's idea of a film musical, and Great Gatsby is being sold to the same audience. But is there enough audience seeking that in what is really a languidly paced mystery/romance? I guess we'll see.

Posted by: MFinBH | Apr 4, 2013 3:21:48 PM

23. Leonardo does not seem right to me as Gatsby, but I loved the book & loved "Moulin Rouge", so I'll risk the price of a ticket to see this version.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Apr 4, 2013 4:59:55 PM

24. poorly cast.
    dicaprio continues to annoy....

Posted by: clydee | Apr 5, 2013 1:48:30 AM

25. This looks GORGEOUS! I've never read the novel, and from countless people I'm told I'll be bored to death if I do (yes, I know, it's a classic) .... but VISUALLY this looks amazing and the MUSIC is Baz at his best!

I'm sold.