Jimmy Kimmel | News

Jimmy Kimmel Asks Audience to Guess the Gay Couple: VIDEO

Couple2

Jimmy Kimmel asks his audience to play another gay guessing game like the one last week during the Supreme Court hearings in which he asked his audience to guess whether random strangers were for or against gay marriage.

THIS TIME Kimmel asks the crowd at his show to guess whether random couples are gay couples, or straight friends.

Another fascinating look at perception, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hmmm. Fascinating? Yes, I've always found stereotyping fascinating. Well, at least we've gone from being punched to being a punchline. I guess that's progress.

Posted by: HirsuteHeuristics | Apr 3, 2013 9:20:58 AM

2. Oh, relax Hirsute, the audience was mostly unsure and it ended with Kimmel saying "It's hard to tell, I guess is the point."

What's the big deal?

Posted by: MDK | Apr 3, 2013 9:37:49 AM

3. Well thank God the Towleroad thought police will be along shortly to tell me how to feel. So relieved.

Posted by: HirsuteHeuristics | Apr 3, 2013 9:42:13 AM

4. Wow defensive. No ones telling you how to feel. Just because gays are part of the joke doesn't make them the punchline. That is progress.

Posted by: Not that Rob | Apr 3, 2013 9:46:23 AM

5. I am loving these segments. And gay people can't get up in arms over it. We do this every single day. I wonder if he is Gay or straight...

Posted by: TONEZ | Apr 3, 2013 9:47:09 AM

6. One of the better Kimmel videos I've seen in a while. I still don't find him that funny! Interesting experiment though

:))

Posted by: WinnDixie | Apr 3, 2013 9:49:07 AM

7. Pull the stick out Hirsute.

Posted by: Mastik8 | Apr 3, 2013 9:49:22 AM

8. OMG, the older stocky guy beside the cute red head in the third clip was clearly crushing. That guy was cute, the red head.

I guessed all five right but ultimately the point was achieved anyway. Appearances are just that and judging based on looks will often lead you to being wrong.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 3, 2013 9:49:57 AM

9. The straights are lying. Everyone's gay.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 3, 2013 9:57:44 AM

10. Ahh, not surprised. Participating in comments on Towleroad is always a crap shoot anyway.

Obviously this wasn't done to be mean spirited, but stereotyping for whatever reason is wrong and in the wrong hands leads to other problems. My opinion, not yours...so be it.

Posted by: HirsuteHeuristics | Apr 3, 2013 9:58:13 AM

11. I got them all right!

Yay!!!

I expected bigger laughs over the GOP lady in Georgia. I think I'm concerned people don't follow how illogical her thinking is.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Apr 3, 2013 9:59:09 AM

12. I don't think Jimmy was making a joke of gay people. The segment making a joke of stereotypes so if anything it was a gay positive segment. I think most of us know that's a fine line and there's a big difference between those two things, joking about vs making a joke of.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 3, 2013 10:14:50 AM

13. Gay couple or straight friends?

"Depends on how many beers we've had."

Posted by: Gus | Apr 3, 2013 10:15:53 AM

14. That was dumb. The last couple had the same last name thereby automatically making you assume they are sisters. It would have been better if the interviewees had just said their first name and NOT where they are from.

Posted by: CVP | Apr 3, 2013 10:21:02 AM

15. Seventhirty- Wow. Classy.

Posted by: HirsuteHeuristics | Apr 3, 2013 10:32:08 AM

16. seventhirty- Just caught your comment on the Feb 2013 Beyonce post. I rest my case.

Posted by: HirsuteHeuristics | Apr 3, 2013 10:40:13 AM

17. Lighten up Hirsute. The point is that we all make snap judgments, ALL THE TIME, but that those can sometimes lead us astray. We are evolutionarily wired to do it, not least for survival reasons. Kimmel is merely providing a humorous insight into the reality and its shortcomings. At no point did he make gay people the punchline.

Are you really just perturbed that the stereotyping phenomenon is being examined by a comedian rather than a respected dilettante like Malcolm Gladwell?

Posted by: Lars | Apr 3, 2013 10:48:39 AM

18. OK, once again for all you slow types who didn't get it the first time:

Are we clear now?

Posted by: HirsuteHeuristics | Apr 3, 2013 10:52:19 AM

19. I got them all wrong but one. Or did I?

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 3, 2013 10:52:44 AM

20. What about gay friends? Gay-straight friends? I suppose they could weed those out. The matching outfits was definitely odd.

Posted by: anon | Apr 3, 2013 10:58:31 AM

21. Unless someone here in Indianapolis is using his pictures to create fake profiles on Grindr and a4a, Seth (the cute ginger with the older guy) is definitely NOT straight. :-) I have a feeling someone's daddy was treating them to a spring break in LA. Not judging, but I thought this was pretty funny, especially considering their b!

Posted by: Indy | Apr 3, 2013 11:03:55 AM

22. Unless someone here in Indianapolis is using his pictures to create fake profiles on Grindr and a4a, Seth (the cute ginger with the older guy) is definitely NOT straight. :-) I have a feeling someone's daddy was treating them to a spring break in LA. Not judging, but I thought this was pretty funny, especially considering their b!

Posted by: Indy | Apr 3, 2013 11:03:56 AM

23. Unless someone here in Indianapolis is using his pictures to create fake profiles on Grindr and a4a, Seth (the cute ginger with the older guy) is definitely NOT straight. :-) I have a feeling someone's daddy was treating them to a spring break in LA. Not judging, but I thought this was pretty funny, especially considering their body language!

Posted by: Indy | Apr 3, 2013 11:04:31 AM

24. No "gay friends" option?

Posted by: unruly | Apr 3, 2013 11:30:42 AM

25. That was fun to watch.

Posted by: andrew | Apr 3, 2013 11:52:50 AM