Film | News

G.B.F., the Teen Comedy About a School's First Out Student and the Race to Be His Gay Best Friend: VIDEO

Gbf

And well, Megan Mullally as a mom with a thing for poppers.

Watch the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

I posted a behind-the-scenes look at the new film, dirrected by Jawbreaker's Darren Stein, back in March. It's premiering at the Tribeca Film Festival.

Gbf

Comments

1. Only in Hollywood, not in most of the world.

Posted by: S. | Apr 12, 2013 3:24:05 PM

2. This is totes adorbs. Like Jawbreaker, it will B a cult classic. It's totes almost Jawbreaker 2 but gayer. : )

Posted by: RMc | Apr 12, 2013 3:26:10 PM

3. CANNOT WAIT.

I'm glad I'm alive right now at a time when this subject can be broached with quirk, whimsy, self-awareness and what looks to be a lot of heart.

anything to get young'uns talking about this is a great thing, indeed.

coming out in high school was a really interesting experience: some of the people i thought were going to be more supportive seemed passive and distant, and people whom i'de previously discounted or even figured would give me crap ended up making the effort to engage me, support me, and have my back. specifically, some of the people who'd given me crap in freshman year ended up doing a complete about-face and became some of the most astonishingly awesome buds and Allies ever.

and i'm glad the kids in this film look like versions of myself and the other gay kids who were coming out while i was in school. it's not a stereotype. it's an archetype. those were the vanguards, baby.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 12, 2013 3:26:46 PM

4. That looks like fun!

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Apr 12, 2013 3:29:03 PM

5. Great blog! check out our gay podcast :)www.twoservingsoffruit.blogspot.com

Posted by: Taylor Finds | Apr 12, 2013 3:32:50 PM

6. Looks teriffic.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 12, 2013 3:46:52 PM

7. I don't get this premise. All these students are apparently pro-gay and watch gay reality shows and want to be the first to have a gay best friend -- and this is the FIRST out student in the school ever? It seems inconcievable that throughout all the stuff happening in the culture in the past 15 years that there would be no out gay student if at least 3 or 4% of every student body was gay. Maybe I am overanalyzing this.

Posted by: will | Apr 12, 2013 4:17:39 PM

8. This does look good, quite fun and I hope it isn't just the trailer. I came out publicly in Junior High but had been gay all my life. By the time I hit high school you had to be a total geek not to know I was the gay guy. I loved school and was very popular (school mascot) - ran around with all the cheerleaders and their hunky boyfriends (who were oftentimes mine on the side). There was this one guy who sat alphabetically in front of me (Rudyer, Ryan) in every class we attended together and he was a jerk always complaining he had to sit in from of the "queer". Lo 'n behold I found him at the park one late night -in the bushes. We never did become friends but by college he was out and proud. I had known this guy since second grade.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Apr 12, 2013 4:24:41 PM

9. Looks AWFUL. Unsurprising, coming from the director of Jawbreaker, another hot mess. Pass.

Posted by: Skye | Apr 12, 2013 4:58:23 PM

10. Horrible. Yet more gay male stereotypes designed to not offend women.

Posted by: Adam | Apr 12, 2013 5:00:46 PM

11. tiresome - but I'm an old fart...

Posted by: ACe | Apr 12, 2013 6:51:21 PM

12. awkward

Posted by: steve | Apr 12, 2013 9:29:59 PM

13. Thanks Will and Mike Ryan. Obviously this is a B movie made to be supposedly amusing and current but not conforming that much to reality. Everyone is thin and beautiful and appear to be 22 because they are - beginning actors just out of college who got an agent because of their looks. Black girls wearing wigs, ugh.

Posted by: emjayay | Apr 12, 2013 11:53:56 PM

14. @ will, i was at ang lee's hulk movie and there was a guy in the lobby who went on and on about the improbability, flaws, and rule breaking of the laws of physics in the movie. he said, "you can't pick a tank up by the turret and lift it like that without the tank coming apart". with no apparent self awareness, the most implausible part of the premise, gamma rays turning a man into a green rage monster, was accepted at face value. are you that guy in the lobby? do you get the point of movies? it's ok to suspend disbelief every once in a while, it might just be the vehicle for a little entertainment!

Posted by: wesley | Apr 13, 2013 1:05:32 AM

15. Now this looks like fun, a kind of even more gay version of Clueless.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 13, 2013 7:54:27 AM

16. @Adam I don't think it's meant to be stereotypical. In fact, i think the very thing they're striving for is the message that gay men are not an accessory and that they need to be treated like human beings not a trend.

Posted by: Dani | Apr 13, 2013 10:44:32 AM

17. Oh we're a trend alright.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 13, 2013 11:29:12 AM

18. well, it's not stereotypical. it's archetypical. there's a difference ;-)

what does this look like? it looks like the kids who DO come out in highschool, that's what. ie, my friends and i.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 13, 2013 1:34:33 PM

19. Totally fun.

Posted by: Trust | Apr 13, 2013 3:22:31 PM

20. Natasha Lyonne was the star of "But I'm a cheerleader". I'm checking this out because of her.

Posted by: stranded | Apr 13, 2013 4:43:37 PM

21. Nothing ground breaking here, but I would sure watch it as a Logo movie of the week. Seems like a cute and harmless movie.

Posted by: Ian | Apr 13, 2013 5:26:42 PM

22. Yay! Gay R.J. Berger.....

Posted by: TYed B. (Charging Rhino) | Apr 13, 2013 9:50:55 PM