Gay Marriage | Harrison Ford | News

BigGayDeal.com

Harrison Ford Wishes There Was Less Resistance to Marriage Equality

Since Harrison Ford plays Brooklyn Dodgers general manager Branch Rickey, the man who brought Jackie Robinson on as the first African-American player in major league baseball, in a new film, Metro asked Ford how he felt about Robinson's struggle and the current one for marriage equality:

FordDo you see any parallels between Jackie Robinson’s struggle for racial acceptance and the current battle for marriage equality?

I think there’s a metaphor you can reach for, according to your own interests and your own understanding and your own issues. ... Certainly the marriage issue conveniently falls into that category.

It’s remarkable how quickly opinions on it have been changing over the last few years.

Yeah, things do change quickly at a tipping point, as it builds and it builds and it builds until there’s a moment where the balance of opinion, the weight of experience and the understanding comes to a point where the scales tip in the other direction. We’re getting there, we’re getting there. You know, you would hope that it would have happened with less resistance. You would have hoped that everyone would get the point at the same time, but life’s not like that.

More of the interview at Metro...

(h/t HuffPost)

Comments

1. I have nothing against Harrison Ford personally, but I'll point out he took home quite a paycheck for being in "Ender's Game," a movie written and produced by epic POS Orson Scott Card, a NOM board member and all-round cuckoo-nutso on the topic of gays.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 12, 2013 1:19:01 PM

2. No, Jackie Robinson breaking the "colour barrier" in professional baseball does not equate to marriage equality. What Jackie Robinson did with the help of Branch Rickey was extraordinary and courageous. Before I get flamed for this, as a gay man, I understand that marriage equality is a defining civil rights issue for LGBTQ people and for America as well and very important.

But, in the context of the times he lived, what Jackie Robinson did was literally earth-shaking. For me, the equivalent would be for a professional ballplayer to come out openly gay. That would take the same amount of courage, resilience and character that Jackie Robinson had.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 12, 2013 1:22:08 PM

3. The film does make a couple rather ham-fisted attempts at making Robinson's struggle a larger struggle for equality. There were at least a couple moments where I thought it was rather obvious that a certain parallel was being made to current events.

Posted by: Gregoire | Apr 12, 2013 2:46:36 PM

4. Anyone touched by Ender's Game, and that homophobe OSC, should have to answer for it. Harrison Ford... shame on you. Saying this makes you look opportunistic at best, hypocritical at worst.

Posted by: Reggie | Apr 12, 2013 2:50:06 PM

5. I don't like the wording of the first paragraph; I don't think you have to 'reach' for the metaphor. To me, the parallels are obvious. And what's with 'according to your own interests [and] issues'? Maybe I'm being sensitive but it sounds like he's being flippant and the second paragraph sounds like lip service.

As for Ender's Game, I hadn't heard of it before and I can't believe ANYONE in Hollywood would have anything to do with that F***wit.

But what's most annoying is the film actually looks good. I love sci-fi but now I won't go near it. I don't want 1¢ of my money lining that man's pockets.

Posted by: Jack Ford | Apr 12, 2013 4:13:15 PM

6. Back in the late 80's/early 90's, they were thisclose to making "The Front Runner" at one point--I remember they'd cast Matt Lattanzi at Vince, and I think they were circling River Phoenix for Billy. They wanted Harrison Ford for Harlan and he was interested in doing it; unfortunately, he was booked back-to-back with "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" "Presumed Innocent" "Clear and Present Danger" and some other things, so the project collapsed. (It also might have been odd having Ford and Phoenix as lovers after they'd played father and son in "The Mosquito Coast.") It also would've been Ford's second gay role, as he says his character in one of his 70's films ("The Conversation"?) was meant to be gay, but this obviously would've been a LOT more daring. Too bad it didn't come off. (If they make it in the next few couple years, Jon Hamm would be a terrific Harlan.)

It's entirely possible that Ford had no knowledge of Orson Scott Card's background and controversies when he did the film, so I'm not going to jump to conclusions. However, I'm also not going to see the film.

Posted by: Dback | Apr 12, 2013 4:23:37 PM

7. The comparison is totally ludicrous.

Posted by: LCR Jay | Apr 12, 2013 4:50:39 PM

8. There are 3 things guaranteed in life:

1) Death
    2) Taxes
    3) Caliban's never-ending negativity. What a bitter queen!

Posted by: UGH | Apr 12, 2013 5:22:36 PM

9. Still, I'd rather hear this than here Jeremy Irons talk about how we "debase" marriage.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 12, 2013 7:23:12 PM

10. Jesus, Jon Hamm as Harlan in 'The Front Runner," why didn't I see that before. And you're right, DBack: Matt Lattanzi would have been purfect as Vince. As for Billy Sive, tho - River Phoenix, not so much. Zac Efron, yes. Or even Chord Overstreet. I could even see Joseph Gordon-Levitt - man, that would really be intense!

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Apr 12, 2013 9:38:16 PM

11. Harrison Ford Wishes There **Were** Less Resistance to Marriage Equality

Posted by: redball | Apr 13, 2013 12:37:00 AM

12. Glad to see he's on board.

For those upset about Ender's Game, we should wait and see what happens when Ford's asked about it come time for publicity for that film. If he uses the opportunity to publicly stand out for equality and criticize Orson Scott Card and his viewpoints, then I think it's worth it and could do some serious damage to the homophobes.

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 13, 2013 12:38:38 AM

13. Harrison Ford, and everyone else in Hollywood, KNEW that Card was a raging outspoken bigot; but instead of taking a stand, chose chose a big, fat paycheck. Never mind that he already has more money than most people could ever dream of.

I will never watch anything with Ford in it, again.

Posted by: thomas mc | Nov 2, 2013 10:54:20 AM