Canada | kd lang | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

kd lang Inducted into Canadian Music Hall of Fame, Tells Crowd 'Let Your Freak Flags Fly': VIDEO

Kdlang

At last night's Juno Awards, kd lang received a standing ovation from a screaming audience as she was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame with a tribute bestowed on her by her childhood idol Anne Murray.

Said kd after a lengthy video highlighting her tremendous career:

“Thank you so much for all your support over the years.I think the fact that I’m standing here receiving this award actually says more about Canada than it does about me. Because only in Canada could there be such a freak as k.d. lang receiving this award...I am here to tell you my friends and my countrymen that it is OK to be you. It is OK to let your freak flags fly and embrace the quirkmeister that's inside of all of us. And I'm not even just talking artists, I'm talking every single person in this nation has the right to be themselves, live life. Go team go. I love you Canada, thank you so much."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Pure Platinum!!!!

Posted by: Chaszle | Apr 22, 2013 7:24:59 PM

2. We love you, too, kd! Flawless voice, handsome, out and proud lesbian and a Canadian! What's not to love?

Posted by: graphicjack | Apr 22, 2013 7:31:45 PM

3. Can someone point to a Canadian gay or bisexual male singer who has been embraced by the public in the way K D Lang has been? The sound of crickets chirping....

Canadians suffer from the same disease as Americans - that is, they embrace homosexuality only if ir's female. It's that old double standard, guys.

KD and other women represent the roadblock faced by openly gay and bisexual men in the music biz. As gay and bi men, the least we could do is to not devote ourselves to our female oppressors.

Posted by: Adam | Apr 22, 2013 7:46:07 PM

4. We love ya too Katherine Dawn!

Posted by: greenfuzz | Apr 22, 2013 8:22:59 PM

5. @ADAM

Very out and proud recording star and winner of two Canadian music awards Rufus Wainwright will be disappointed that you think he has not been embraced by Canadians or even US audiences

Posted by: shanestud | Apr 22, 2013 8:26:36 PM

6. Oh, Adam... I pity you. I truly do.

Posted by: Niebuhr | Apr 22, 2013 8:34:01 PM

7. Shanestud,

Rufus has NEVER been embraced in the way that KD has been at the commercial level. For one thing, he's not that good. Secondly, he's not female.

Women get a pass even when they're mediocre.

Posted by: Adam | Apr 22, 2013 8:41:21 PM

8. To Adam the misogynist: RUFUS WAINWRIGHT.

Also:
    - Ashley McIsaac (who is as Canadian as you can get)
    - Owen Pallett (winner of the 2006 Polaris Music Prize)
    - Joel Gibb of The Hidden Cameras

Well that was easy.

Posted by: dtbf | Apr 22, 2013 8:42:03 PM

9. Oh please! JASON/ADAM is at it again! The music industry hates gay men.

Posted by: BETTY | Apr 22, 2013 8:42:31 PM

10. it was awesome! ♥ you kd!

Posted by: KDNA | Apr 22, 2013 11:39:29 PM

11. Remember seeing kd lang during one of her first performances on the Alan Thicke talk show (Canadian) and was amazed at this bizarre freak (as she so eloquently puts it) - so different than anything I'd ever seen. So happy she's achieved the success she has and has been able to be who she is. I got teary-eyed over that one!

Posted by: dumbnhung | Apr 23, 2013 12:06:37 AM

12. Love me some kd.

Years ago I was waiting for a table at an SF breakfast hotspot. kd and GF showed up and put themselves on the waitlist just like everyone else. Class. And she can sing! I'm glad too to know that Leonard Zvohen recognizes the genius she brings to "Hallelujah".

Posted by: David R. | Apr 23, 2013 1:58:44 AM

13. I met Katherine Dawn when she worked in a record store here in Edmonton before her career blossomed to international status. Even back then she was quirky, funny yet a modest small town girl from Consort, Alberta who moved to the "big" city to start her career and along the way she has NEVER hidden who she was or is or where she was raised to anyone and as time progressed we Canadians became just like her, Be yourself and you are a true Canadian. Congratlulations Katherine Dawn we ARE PROUD of you and what you stand for!

Posted by: Darrell | Apr 23, 2013 2:27:11 AM

14. Paramount Theatre, Oakland, CA, 4th row...K.D. singing right to my partner and I...never will forget it.

Posted by: mark | Apr 23, 2013 2:52:21 AM

15. I had the pleasure of seeing kd in concert just as she was on the brink of becoming famous. What a wonderful experience! We love you kd!

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 23, 2013 8:16:23 AM

16. It's true. Female homosexuals [lesbians], either lipstick or butch, are more accepted in popular culture than male homosexuals. In many ways, so-called butch lesbians, like their gay male effeminate counterparts, are more accepted than feminine lesbians and masculine homosexual males. They fit the stereotype? Dunno.

It's worse outside a few 'enlightened' places like N. America; in most parts of the world gay male = cross dresser/transgendered, effete, lisping, b*tchy. The concept that a homosexual male can be masculine is not accepted

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 23, 2013 10:38:02 AM