David Letterman | Gay Marriage | News | Rachel Maddow

David Letterman Lets His Anger About Anti-Gay Discrimination Rip in Discussion with Rachel Maddow: VIDEO

Letterman_maddow

David Letterman had a sit down with Rachel Maddow last night and let his opinion about marriage equality and frustration over anti-gay discrimination rip:

"I'm just sick and tired, and I think it has really crossed the line of being nonsense. This ongoing, politically nuanced, religiously nuanced discussion of gay marriage, gay rights. It is absolute stupidity....Humans have the right to do what humans do, that’s it. End of  story. There’s no argument. There’s no exceptions. Humans have rights and they get to do what humans get to do. Case closed. Good night."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

I'll try to find a longer segment to post.

Comments

1. Dave is the good version of the Angry White guy.

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Apr 4, 2013 12:06:40 PM

2. Rachel seems to have a *favored guest* status with Letterman. I wonder if she will appear more on the Tonight show after it moves to NYC.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Apr 4, 2013 12:07:09 PM

3. I live Rachel. I like Dave. That's all.

Posted by: Gigi | Apr 4, 2013 12:10:50 PM

4. Thanks, David.

Posted by: Bart | Apr 4, 2013 12:15:27 PM

5. Am I imagining it, or didn't he once say some pretty cruddy things about gays? Whatever, I appreciate these comments.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 4, 2013 12:23:43 PM

6. It's nice of him to say. That said, I've found Dave to be impossible to watch for years now. He's an incredibly cantankerous guy. Hasn't been fun to watch for a long time.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 4, 2013 12:32:16 PM

7. Dave has always been gay-supportive. Leno, on the other hand, is known for lisping when he imitates San Francisco men.

I love Dave's support, of course, but it's missing his usual erudition. "Humans have a right to do what humans do"? Even I was staring at the TV going, "That is totally a slippery slope toward marrying animals."

Posted by: RomanHans | Apr 4, 2013 12:37:47 PM

8. I have always liked Dave. I like him so much more after seeing this.

Posted by: Jessica Estes | Apr 4, 2013 12:40:48 PM

9. Letterman reportedly has a number of gay and lesbian staff-members, most notably Barbara Gaines, a key producer for his shows who's pretty much been with Letterman since he started on tv.

Dave has also hosted guests like Zach Wahls-- it's pretty clear Dave is a staunch equality ally.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Apr 4, 2013 1:02:54 PM

10. Letterman did his share of homophobic "comedy" bits back in the day. On one hand, it's, of course, great to have him get on board in such an unequivocal way. On the other hand, there is a certain amount of revisionism going on here. It's like no one ever was a homophobe- it never existed.

Apparently Ronald Reagan wasn't even a homophobe, per daughter Patti, in the interview posted on here today. Must have just been an oversight, that Pres. Reagan sat idly by for eight years, while hundreds of thousands died, and that he never uttered the word AIDS in public, until seven years into the pandemic.

Oh, and Jodie Foster was never in the closet- who knew? When celebs kinda sorta come out now, they do it with these Orwellian assertions that they were never "in."

Of course it's good that all these people are making more positive statements now, in whatever degree. But the erasure of history is also a dangerous thing.

It makes me think of how, in Germany after WW II, there were no former Nazis. No one had ever been a Nazi.

My spell-check is even telling me "homophobe" isn't a word. Homophobia doesn't exist. It never did. Welcome to reality 2.0.

Posted by: Hank | Apr 4, 2013 1:59:26 PM

11. The key thing would be for Letterman to get politician on his show and on the record.

Posted by: anon | Apr 4, 2013 2:13:47 PM

12. Dave just made so much sense. Thanks, Dave!

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Apr 4, 2013 2:17:11 PM

13. I agree, Hank. Everyone is racing to "out-accept" each other and racing to be the one that triumphantly stands up for gay rights or proclaim how accepting they are. A lot of it is PC, and for appearances. This whole mentality of everyone being so accepting today, or somehow making a positive comment regarding anything gay wipes away years of non-action (regarding politicians) or outright negativity (Ronald Reagan) is offensive. It's about looking good and not wanting to be thought of, or think of themselves, as bigots.

With that being said, Letterman, yeah, he's had a few moments but really, he's been consistently good to us. He's a friend of the community for sure. It's great to see him speak out like this. Hopefully he got through to some people.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 4, 2013 2:58:51 PM

14. Hank--Honestly, I hate the word "homophobia" because I feel like it lets people off the hook. People who don't like us aren't afraid of us or of homosexuality--they just think we're gross and should be subjugated. Maybe homomisia would be a better word, to mean "hatred of homosexuals."

As for Reagan, I think being pro-marriage equality is probably compatible with his non-action about AIDS. Republicans in the 1980s were very much in the "let everyone including corporations do what they want, and don't use government to address the consequences." So gay marriage would be fine, but if you got AIDS then too bad. I'm not sure much revision is going on there.

And Dave is pretty old. Except in a few districts and cities, gay people were still some politically invisible other when he was doing stand-up. We have LGBT comedians and various other forms of media now that are pretty terribly homophobic, so if Dave veered into this occasionally, I won't hold it against him. It's not like he was signing DOMA into law or anything. Heck, maybe Dave should geta GLAAD award.

Posted by: Thomas | Apr 4, 2013 3:00:52 PM

15. I Have loved Dave since the eighties. And to the previous poster who made comment about Dave making homophobic jokes. I believe when and if he did it was in a less enlightened time. He like the rest of us have grown and matured with age and the times (some of us more than others)and recognize that as he said "Humans have the right to do what humans do, that’s it."

Posted by: charley1107 | Apr 4, 2013 3:05:24 PM

16. I have a distinct memory of Letterman using "and his longtime companion" as a punchline in a Top Ten list awhile back; another time I remember his saying "more fun salads" with a "gay accent"; I think he made snide homophobic remarks in that vein pretty regularly back when (1980-1990s).

He's very obviously matured, and then some, and I applaud him for that. He's also seemed ahead of Leno, for a while. Leno made an unforgivable joke after "Brokeback Mountain" didn't win the Best Picture Oscar back in 2006. Conan O'Brian's history isn't very good, either. Conan went to Norway and saw the name "Fagerstrom" on an apartment door, and yelled out, contemptuously, "Hey FAGerstrom!" It was **appalling.**

Posted by: target market | Apr 4, 2013 3:39:39 PM

17. Go Dave!

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Apr 4, 2013 6:23:40 PM

18. Rachel looks GOOOOD for 40 :)

Posted by: grego | Apr 4, 2013 9:28:11 PM

19. I love Dave! You can actually tell that he has evolved himself, really. He used to brush this kind of stuff off, but now he knows how ridiculous it is to deny people their human right to be happy.

Posted by: Reality | Apr 4, 2013 9:29:49 PM

20. Letterman still tells fag jokes--as do Leno and Kimmell and Fallon and that Scottish pig Craig Ferguson on late. It's just cheap, lazy humor. But they all think of themselves as pro-gay and open-minded.

Posted by: Andy Humm | Apr 4, 2013 9:56:35 PM

21. I still like the one of the top ten REJECTED Arnold Schwarzenegger movie lines, "Lets all go down to the piano bar and sing show tunes."

Posted by: BigGuy | Apr 5, 2013 1:27:18 AM

22. Who is he kidding?....Dave was always snickering about gay situations and making it look like anything gay was totally scary with his facial expressions...Besides dave and Paul are both such "manly men" for sure!!!

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Apr 5, 2013 9:04:47 AM

23. He's just doing for the money...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Apr 5, 2013 9:05:34 AM

24. Glad he's trying to help, but "humans can do what humans do" (paraphrase) doesn't help.

We've decided that humans cannot molest children legally, in spite of the NAMBLA crowd using arguments like Dave's.

Like I said, I'm glad he's trying to help, but I hope Rachel or somebody coaches him on more effective means.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Apr 5, 2013 10:40:08 AM

25. I am disappointed that David has these Liberal views, I think gay marriage is so wrong,gayness is unnatural, the gays need therapy not marriage. This is what most people really think but they won't say it! Since when has it been wrong to believe in marriage between a man and a woman, It's only the way our bodies are designed. Get real people!

Posted by: Joanne | Apr 5, 2013 1:48:47 PM