Gay Marriage | News | Rachel Maddow | Republican Party

Rachel Maddow Notes That the Republican Party is a Confused Mess on Marriage Equality: VIDEO

Evolution_maddow

Rachel Maddow took a look yesterday at how the GOP is evolving on marriage equality, noting that "the Republican party will settle into being divided on this issue for a long time."

Maddow also looks at Michigan committeeman Dave Agema and his recent anti-gay Facebook comments noting that it's "a test" for the party as Agema faces down GOP leaders calling for his resignation.

She also points out the Democrats (below, except for now, Tom Carper) who have not yet evolved on marriage equality.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

It was also Rachel's 40th birthday yesterday. Happy birthday Rachel!

Democrats

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. there's been a lot of "oh, the dems are just jumping on the bandwagon" talk, which is actually sort of hilarious.

yeah. boo. how awful that of all the wagons to jump onto it's the one that...uh...supports and promotes Equality.

much more noble are the republicans who continue to fall over themselves trying to show who's the bigger bigot.
    GOP 1: If *I* had a gay son, I wouldnt' support gay marriage.
    GOP2: Hey! I *do* have a gay son and i STILL don't support gay marriage!
    GOP3: My son is gay and I support gay marriage but not enough to make it something I vote on.
    GOP 1 & 2: Screw you! You're a liberal progressive!!!!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 2, 2013 11:05:47 AM

2. I love me some Rachel.

Posted by: Jaysonn | Apr 2, 2013 11:17:42 AM

3. Thomas Jefferson: "I acknowledge that I have a Black son...but I just can't free him from slavery"

Posted by: sword | Apr 2, 2013 11:25:31 AM

4. Manchin, Pryor and Landrieu are not going to come out for marriage equality. They are up for re-election, and there is a good chance they may lose in 2014 to Republican challengers. In their states (WV, AR, LA), coming out for marriage equality will be used against them just like Bush used marriage equality to win Ohio, and win the Presidency, in 2004 (with the state referendum). As it is, the Democrats are not likely to keep the Senate in 2014, but it will be close. A loss by Manchin, Pryor and/or Landrieu will almost certainly put the Senate in Republican hands -- WHICH MEANS CONTROL OF WHO GETS APPROVED FOR THE NEXT SUPREME COURT OPENINGS.

Posted by: MiddleoftheRoader | Apr 2, 2013 11:39:49 AM

5. It's not surprising they can't evolve on this issue. They don't believe in evolution.

Posted by: Bart | Apr 2, 2013 12:39:38 PM

6. If I had to place a wager, I'd bet that Bill Nelson would be the next to support marriage equality. This is based more on their states than personal knowledge of any of them.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Apr 2, 2013 12:40:18 PM

7. actually sword

Jefferson freed all his enslaved children upon his death/ in his will

Didn't free any other slaves since he had used them as collateral for bank loans.

Jefferson also had moved their mother into a brick house with a covered walkway directly to the mansion. Not great, but better home than many whites had at the time

Jefferson also had his children educated in trades so when they were freed they would be able to makie a living like blacksmithing etc.

Jefferson was a horrible hypocrite slaver BUT he did free his children and treated them much better than many white slave owners treated their slaves at the time

Posted by: Moz's | Apr 2, 2013 12:44:03 PM

8. last bit should read as

"....treated their enslaved mixed race children"

^ a very common occurrence in america's past

Posted by: Moz's | Apr 2, 2013 12:45:23 PM

9. Michelle Bachmann has a gay husband, and she hasn't endorsed marriage equality, either.

Posted by: Lymis | Apr 2, 2013 12:48:15 PM

10. I agree that it's unlikely that some of the Democratic legislators will come out to publically support marriage equality, especially the ones in more conservative areas.

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Apr 2, 2013 2:19:55 PM