Gay Marriage | Jeremy Irons | News

Jeremy Irons: 'Marriage is About Procreation' — VIDEO

Irons

Actor Jeremy Irons who recently made headlines with his remarks that allowing gays to marry might mean that a father would marry his son for tax purposes, and that gay marriage would "debase" the institution, was asked about that comment by the BBC this week.

Irons responded with the current lead right wing homophobe talking point:

"Well it changes it, doesn't it. Marriage is about procreation, really. That's historically how it's always been."

Irons added later that he wishes he'd "buttoned [his] lip" about the issue.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. except for when it's not. like when all those infertile straight couples marry.

or those stories local news likes to report about about two octogenarians who meet again, after 60 years, in an Old Folks Home, and marry.

unless he thinks they're gonna consummate their marriages and procreate....

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 18, 2013 1:03:48 PM

2. Why is it that marriage is 'all about procreation,' ONLY when a gay couple wishes to marry?

There's a reason you're a grown man paid to play-act the words and ideas of others, Mr Irons.

Stick to that, you putz.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 18, 2013 1:06:12 PM

3. Wish you'd buttoned your lip? Then here's an idea: shut up. No one cares.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 18, 2013 1:11:16 PM

4. Urg. *legal bounds...ARE*

I no edit write.

Posted by: olympiasepiriot | Apr 18, 2013 1:12:48 PM

5. Historically, marriage has been about property and power.

Posted by: unruly | Apr 18, 2013 1:14:45 PM

6. "Irons added later that he wishes he'd "buttoned [his] lip" about the issue." Me too!!!!

Posted by: Ted | Apr 18, 2013 1:19:22 PM

7. Some people are so self-involved that they are rendered stupid. Whatever marriage was about for Him is what marriage is about. The institution of marriage can be "debased" by others (gays) but not by the mess He makes of it. People should be allowed to smoke because He wants to smoke, etc. If he "hates rules" so much then why not change the marriage rules? Oh, because it confuses him - especially when he looks at his handsome son and thinks about having sex with him. If I were him I'd want to pretend to be someone else too. He's in the right line-of-business.

Posted by: Markt | Apr 18, 2013 1:20:36 PM

8. I plan to avoid watching any films or TV shows in which he appears. The very sight of this ignorant man makes me sick at this point. I wonder what his fellow Brits think of him.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 18, 2013 1:22:13 PM

9. Mr Irons -

You have been married twice. The first marriage produced no children. Why is that?

Your second marriage to 30-year-old Sinead Cusack in 1978 only produced 2 children: Sam (1978) and Max (1985). Seems like there were a number of wasted years of marriage where children were NOT being produced. Can you account for your not procreating?

And now, the rumor mill has it that you have an "open marriage"... Doesn't THAT change the defintion of marriage? Or did you change that part of your wedding vows?

Move on, you self-inflated nothing!

Posted by: Jay | Apr 18, 2013 1:23:32 PM

10. Disingenuous much, Jeremy? No one who thinks gay marriage is *wonderful* would ever say it debases anything.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Apr 18, 2013 1:24:51 PM

11. Sad that some people never know when to just shut it. I join the, I expect, growing chorus of those who wish he had just buttoned that lip. His argument is specious, yet he thinks it profund. Sad really. I used to admire his craft. I don't know that I can anymore what with being aware of the smug and smarmy twit behind the words.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 18, 2013 1:27:34 PM

12. Sad that some people never know when to just shut it. I join the, I expect, growing chorus of those who wish he had just buttoned that lip. His argument is specious, yet he thinks it profund. Sad really. I used to admire his craft. I don't know that I can anymore what with being aware of the smug and smarmy twit behind the words.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 18, 2013 1:27:35 PM

13. I'm a non-smoker, and I want to get smoking banned from apartments and condos, but I totally agree with Jeremy on smoking outdoors (or for that matter, in designated smoking shops, which is illegal here for some ridiculous reason).

But as to the rest, it's kind of funny watching this meltdown continue and expand. I don't think I'll be seeing his upcoming films or whatever. His stupid is just going to burn through the character (or narration etc) and ruin it.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 18, 2013 1:28:28 PM

14. OMG he just CONTINUES to jam his foot in his mouth. Shut. Up.

Posted by: AJ | Apr 18, 2013 1:31:44 PM

15. Jeremy who?

Posted by: Mark Alexander | Apr 18, 2013 1:32:13 PM

16. He should talk to Rush Limbaugh about how marriage is for procreation

Posted by: Steve | Apr 18, 2013 1:33:50 PM

17. We know that marriage hasn't *always* been about procreation because the first two Christian wingnut emperors, Constantius II and Constans, outlawed same-sex marriage in 342 CE. Obviously, same-sex marriage was part of society before that year. If not, why would the these two Christian emperors have outlawed it?

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Apr 18, 2013 1:40:06 PM

18. @Jay: his kids are actually named Sam and Max?

Please tell me they are Freelance Police.

Posted by: Firestorm | Apr 18, 2013 1:41:01 PM

19. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is what you get when you value people for looks over brains.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Apr 18, 2013 1:42:22 PM

20. According to his own (Catholic) religious tradition, his first (childless) marriage is the only valid one, and his two children are born of an adulterous relationship which he continues with his now-past-menopause mistress.
    Almost invariably, the people who criticize gay relationships (Maggie Gallagher, Newt Gingrich et al) have failed to live up to what they proclaim as their own standards. They seem to try to absolve themsleves of guilt by projecting their own relationship failures onto other people even when those others may be completely happy and able to maintain integrity in their own relationships.

Posted by: GregV | Apr 18, 2013 1:47:30 PM

21. I just threw away any movie I owned that had this pompous, smug, self-congratulatory twit in it. I can't stand to look at the little jerk. Hope he stops getting hired for his stupid sounding uppercrust accent now that he has revealed himself to be such a conservative, small-minded a-hole.

Posted by: Janice | Apr 18, 2013 1:48:50 PM

22. Jeremy Irons is an uninformed moron that loves the sound of his own voice.

Posted by: danswon | Apr 18, 2013 1:51:39 PM

23. Obviously he's got many gay friends given his profession. They should all throw him a party to celebrate his coming out as a colossal git.

Posted by: Demian | Apr 18, 2013 1:52:18 PM

24. and I wish he would have buttoned his............at least we know now where he stands and why he sounded so iditotic about fathers and sons marrying.........

Posted by: Bernie | Apr 18, 2013 1:52:23 PM

25. What an insulting little bollox he is;
    so my brother and his wife who would love to be able to have a kid are somehow less married than couples with children ?

This prat should stick to his one dimensional performances, whether Brideshead or The Borgias; his opinions on social issues are equally one dimensional, and ignorant.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 18, 2013 2:06:37 PM