BigGayDeal.com

President Obama Says He's Proud of Jason Collins, Says LGBT Community Deserves Equality: VIDEO

Obama_collins

President Obama finished a press conference this morning and began leaving but then returned to the podium to say he was proud of NBA center Jason Collins.

Said Obama:

"I had a chance to talk to him yesterday. He seems like a terrific young man. I told him I couldn't be prouder. One of the extraordinary measures of progress that we've seen in this country has been the recognition that the LGBT community deserves full equality, not just partial equality, not just tolerance, but a recognition that they're fully part of the American family. And given the importance of sports in our society, for an individual who's excelled at the highest levels in one of the major sports to say, 'This is who I am, I'm proud of it. I'm still a great competitor. I'm still 7 foot tall and can bang with Shaq and deliver a hard foul.'

And you know, for, I think, a lot of young people out there who are gay or lesbian who are struggling with these issues, to see a role model like that who is unafraid, I think this is a great thing. And I think Americans should be proud that this is just one more step in this ongoing recognition that we treat everybody fairly and everybody's part of a family and we judge people on the basis of their character and their performance and not their sexual orientation. I'm very proud of him."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The more I see of Jason Collins the more impressed I become. He is not only a role model for gay and bisexual men, he is a role model for men, period. What a great day in America!

Posted by: Jack | Apr 30, 2013 12:04:44 PM

2. @Jack, agree.
    And his coming out is a big deal. The change is here.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 30, 2013 12:07:32 PM

3. Well said, Mr. President!

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 30, 2013 12:09:36 PM

4. Wait until you find out that his boyfriend is Asian and ONLY into Asian guys ; let’s see then if your view of him is still the same.

Posted by: PE | Apr 30, 2013 12:18:04 PM

5. Towle road should be renamed trollroad. After all these troll like comments on here, do you think we can get Andy to make this site go to requiring a user name and signing in? Do you even think Andy cares about the flow and civility on his site or I get the impression he likes trolls trolling as it adds more viewership.

Shame as I'm looking for a new gay site to call home. This ones just infiltrated with the likes of Rick/Jason/David Hearne/GB/Ratbastard all probably the same person.

Posted by: Mehroon | Apr 30, 2013 12:24:29 PM

6. Andy,
    Start moderating your damn site and the comments that go on it. Out of hand with all the trolls. I agree, force people to login with a handle or facebook like all other sites do.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Apr 30, 2013 12:25:25 PM

7. I made a positive comment on Jason yesterday on the Huff Post. Its was a simple, maybe 3 sentence positive comment about the President's remarks on Jason. I was jumped on and bashed by 3 people being as nasty as I have ever heard. I think they would have beat the crap out of me. There were many more positive remarks than negative and I received several thumbs up, however, I had never seen such homophobic treatment before. We are a long way from acceptance.

Posted by: Timmy | Apr 30, 2013 12:26:06 PM

8. I LOVE OUR PRESIDENT!

Please thank him for this on his twitter page

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Apr 30, 2013 12:27:36 PM

9. "Wait until you find out that his boyfriend is Asian and ONLY into Asian guys ; let’s see then if your view of him is still the same."

Then I'll change my name to Derrick Kwon.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 30, 2013 12:32:58 PM

10. "And given the importance of sports in our society, for an individual who's excelled at the highest levels in one of the major sports to say, 'This is who I am, I'm proud of it. I'm still a great competitor. I'm still 7 foot tall and can bang with Shaq and deliver a hard foul.'"

Translation: "Being a man and demonstrating it by standing up for yourself and demonstrating normal masculine values gains a gay man respect from me and other straight men, which they otherwise would not get."

Nice way for the President to get the point across without creating "controversy" among gender-non-conformity-pushing activists.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 30, 2013 12:40:37 PM

11. Ya'll know Towleroad has had the same template for at least 10 years? Trolls have always dominated the conversation here. The only thing that's changed is more and more javascript boxes.

It would be nice if he entered the 21st century and required Facebook or Google login to comment.

Posted by: ripper | Apr 30, 2013 12:41:40 PM

12. This is so great that we have a President who is this supportive, and laid-back (so publicly non-uptight) about gay issues. The praise he and Michelle gave Jason yesterday felt authentic and totally unforced, like good parents encouraging their kids. I am not taking any of this for granted. Mitt Romney could have been President right now and I have a fairly good idea what message his administration would have sent yesterday: nothing. We'd have four years of silence. Again, I'm not taking any of this for granted.

Posted by: will | Apr 30, 2013 12:45:35 PM

13. Thank you Mr. President!

ripper - the good news is that the trolls remain as cowardly and closeted as ever. the world spins forward, more and more brave people Come Out, and yet the closeted trolls remain cowering in anonymity, spewing misery to compensate for their own insecurity.

it's kinda cute. they're like those guys who, despite this no longer being the mid-90s, post online profiles that say "masc/VGL/6'/170/blue/brown/jock top" instead of...you know...posting a photo.

;-)

then wondering why they can't meet guys. :D

as long as the cowardly gay men who hate gender-nonconformity remain the closeted wimps that they are, and always will be, then everything in the real world will remain peachy.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 30, 2013 12:57:08 PM

14. I am proud of you Mr President. Great to have had the opportunity to vote for you in both your presidential election victories.

Posted by: andrew | Apr 30, 2013 1:01:15 PM

15. Can the GOProud or Log Cabin chumps tell me what Mitt would have said about this??? Thanks.

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Apr 30, 2013 1:16:24 PM

16. IF Towleroad does go to requiring that you log in (which maybe it should) I'd hope that either it be site-specific or allow Disqus or something similar. Many of us do not use Facebook or similar sites for good reason and I really resent sites where that is the ONLY commenting option. If I wanted my personal information sold to marketers I'd call them up and do it personally, not through some 2nd party like Facebook! Remember, if you aren't paying for it you ARE the product being sold.

Now onto the actual point of this article. It's great to have a President who acknowledges the gay community in such a consistent and inclusive manner. He isn't perfect but he's by far better than the alternative!

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 30, 2013 1:20:44 PM

17. GOProud and the LCR would hate this story because it's about a gay black man and GOProud/LCR are just a bunch of wussy trust-fund white boys who hate blacks in hopes their parents will tolerate them for another day.

the Romney angle?
    They'd say "we respect President Romney's difference of opinion that gay people don't deserve equality because unlike intolerant liberals we respect bigotry against people. so, that said, do you accept us into your club yet? no? ok. we'll try talking about how whites should arm themselves against blacks, and try again tomorrow"

:D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 30, 2013 1:30:40 PM

18. I actually think the trolling has got out of hand, and I say this as someone who did a good job of ignore it. But you can clearly tell that the trolls (most conservative) are ruining the flow. I completely support having to login on twitter, or face book, or disquis to comment. It encourages accountability and would change the overall feel of this place.

It's just getting ugly on here, and all the other gay sites have a much more supportive feel and INTELLIGENT conversation.

Posted by: Jackson | Apr 30, 2013 1:34:09 PM

19. Proud of a mediocre athlete who realized his career was essentially at death's door...so he decided to exploit the media hype of being the first male out homosexual athlete in team sports for financial gain? He certainly is no Jackie Robinson. This whole thing is beyond pathetic.

Posted by: lucas | Apr 30, 2013 1:34:57 PM

20. well, some conservative closet-cases (redundant term, i know) are always miserable when someone else comes out.

it means they're being left behind, and their tired excuses for remaining closeted become more and more ridiculous and pathetic.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 30, 2013 1:38:02 PM

21. An emasculated black man self-appoints to the position of court jester for the white gay cabal that hates him and calls him n*gger behind his back. The world is getting sadder by the day. And the half-breed son of a communist African immigrant is cheering on the continued, seemingly irreversible denigration of the male descendants of slaves. I hope all black Americans descended from slaves understand that Obama despises you and do not share your heritage. He probably has the blood of a traitorous slave seller running through his veins. Of course, he is happy to see a self-castrated black man do the usual minstrel show to the secret laughter and derision of the white media and gay cabal....Just another useful Uncle Tom...I pray for God to reveal himself and end all this madness. He promised the fire next time. I hope it comes soon. We all deserve to burn.

Posted by: Jenny | Apr 30, 2013 2:04:03 PM

22. @Jenny: Who are you really?

Posted by: andrew | Apr 30, 2013 2:08:42 PM

23. for those who aren't aware, Jenny's parents were siblings.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 30, 2013 2:09:18 PM

24. @ "I hope all black Americans descended from slaves understand that Obama despises you.."

Then why did he marry one, Jenny? And still seems very much in love with her.

@ "He promised the fire next time. I hope it comes soon. We all deserve to burn."

uh oh. Are you Mrs Broussard?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 30, 2013 2:17:56 PM

25. Jenny reminds me of an old saying: "Sometimes you wake up grumpy, and sometimes you let grumpy sleep."

Posted by: ken | Apr 30, 2013 2:21:40 PM