Ariana Grande | Bullying | Mika | Music | Music Video | News

BigGayDeal.com

Mika's Video for 'Popular' is Here: WATCH

Ariana_mika

Ariana Grande and Mika plot to rid a school of its bullies in "Popular Song", which is a remake of "Popular" from the Broadway show Wicked. Some of the lyrics have been rewritten.

Arjan writes:

"Popular Song" is partly based on "Popular" from the musical Wicked that Mika skillfully incorporated into his own version. In a making-of series on YouTube, Mika explains that the song's original composer Stephen Schwartz came to his studio one day and listened to his second album. "Even though we never wrote together, I sent him an email after meeting to ask if I could play with ['Popular'] a little to change up its meaning," he explains. "I respect him as a songwriter and wanted to make sure he was okay with it."

The song's lyrics describe in not-so subtle terms what it was like for Mika to turn from a misfit into the most popular kid of the class - so to say. "I never was a scholar/You were always popular/You were singing all the songs I don’t know/Now you’re in the front row/Cause my song is popular." It's an important message about the profound effects of bullying that now comes with a playful yet meaningful new video that raises awareness about this issue we should all deeply care about.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. um, i think the word is "cover."

Posted by: Iban4yesu | Apr 29, 2013 1:04:06 PM

2. Yes, the song from Wicked is also called "Popular," not "Popular Song."

Posted by: Ronny | Apr 29, 2013 1:29:39 PM

3. It's a rewrite so it's not a straight cover.

Posted by: Andy Towle | Apr 29, 2013 1:33:30 PM

4. Andy, you've got the respective song names backwards!

Posted by: El | Apr 29, 2013 1:46:38 PM

5. Kind of catchy enough I guess...but Mika's auto-tune sucks....he doesn't need it FFS!

Posted by: marco | Apr 29, 2013 2:08:38 PM

6. I'm not a fan of the song or video, but Ariana Grande's flawlessness makes up for it. I love her.

Posted by: JT | Apr 29, 2013 2:12:49 PM

7. I don't know why, but i really love that girl. In a world when teen stars are pimped to musical stardom is nice to find someone who has real talent.
    And her voice remind me of a young Mariah

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 29, 2013 2:29:39 PM

8. I love this! Catchy and adorable! Thanks Andy!

Posted by: Marc | Apr 29, 2013 5:26:56 PM

9. The original album version with Priscilla Renea was far more meaningful, directly attacking homophobia, and that's been stripped out. But I'd love to see Mika get some US popular radio play and if this is the gateway to getting him there, the song is still a good one.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Apr 29, 2013 5:34:06 PM

10. The message of this video seems to be that if you're bullied, you should take matters into your own hands and poison the bully. Even in a fantasy setting, that's not something that that I'm comfortable with.

Posted by: alex | Apr 29, 2013 5:59:03 PM

11. Did anyone else see the car advert in the middle...

Posted by: thrutch | Apr 29, 2013 7:14:18 PM

12. The album version was much better. Otherwise it's a good song.

Posted by: pharmerandy | Apr 29, 2013 8:39:35 PM

13. Well, that was awful.

Posted by: Yuninv | Apr 29, 2013 9:04:40 PM

14. I love Mika, and I know Ariana, but I have to agree with alex. The message here seems to be that if you're bullied you should poison your bullies. That's not good at all.

Posted by: KG | May 2, 2013 1:35:33 PM