News | Reese Witherspoon

BigGayDeal.com

Reese Witherspoon Apologizes After Arrest with Husband

Witherspoon

Reese Witherspoon issued an apology on Sunday after she and her husband, agent Jim Toth, were arrested on Friday in an Atlanta for DUI and disorderly conduct:

"I clearly had one drink too many and I am deeply embarrassed about the things I said. It was definitely a scary situation and I was frightened for my husband, but that is no excuse. I was disrespectful to the officer who was just doing his job. The words I used that night definitely do not reflect who I am. I have nothing but respect for the police and I'm very sorry for my behavior."

Toth blew a .139 on a breathalyzer while Witherspoon argued with the officer, got out of the car several times after being told to stay in, and told the officer, "Do you know my name? You're about to find out who I am. You're about to be on national news."

The couple appeared at a premiere for "Mud" at NY's MoMa on Sunday night.

Comments

1. Not good driving drunk, but live and learn. Love you, Reese!

Posted by: dattexas | Apr 22, 2013 7:32:19 AM

2. Oh Reese, unless you are Linsey Lohan or Charlie Sheen, being on national news for negative press will not work in your favor.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Apr 22, 2013 7:41:57 AM

3. "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"

Posted by: kodiak | Apr 22, 2013 7:55:28 AM

4. Not a good color on her

Posted by: Arrant | Apr 22, 2013 7:59:30 AM

5. Par for the course. She's always had a reputation for being incredibly rude and stuck-up.

Kevin Smith has an atrocious story of Witherspoon's behaviour towards Joey Lauren Adams when her and Adams were competing for the same role. Witherspoon got the role, and Adams graciously went to congratulate her at a party. Witherspoon sneered and walked away.

Posted by: Nat | Apr 22, 2013 8:11:35 AM

6. Elle Woods would have handled it better.

Posted by: Donald | Apr 22, 2013 8:35:00 AM

7. I still don't know who she is. Should I?

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Apr 22, 2013 8:41:52 AM

8. If you don't know who Reese Witherspoon is,you must be living under a rock and or in a dark/isolated cave. Something I'd always assume from most readers here,given their bitchy,hateful,arrogant comments on pretty much every post. Atleast she's taking responsibility and apologized to the public.

Posted by: Audi-owner | Apr 22, 2013 8:45:23 AM

9. Yes, she was wrong. But she apologized. Read it. That's an actual admission that she was wrong and a genuine apology. It's so rare to hear one of those these days, especially from anyone famous. No one "misunderstood what she said" or "took her words out of context". She acknowledges that she shouldn't have said them at all. Celebrities, politicians and everyone else: take note. This is how it's done.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Apr 22, 2013 9:09:13 AM

10. I hate when people make an apology and say that their comments do not reflect who they truly are. She should be embarrassed more than just due to her behavior. She should be embarrassed that she rode in and allowed her husband to operate a car that he should not have been operating. Drunk drivers are disgustingly selfish people. I wish there were mandatory minimums for first time offenders irregardless of the damage they cause or dont cause.

Posted by: sean | Apr 22, 2013 9:20:18 AM

11. I used to work in a high end restaurant. I can't even remember how many people asked "Do you know who I am?" If you have to ask you're no big deal. To her credit, the night that I served Jennifer Connelly and refused her umpteen requests for menu rewrites and puréed vegetables for her baby, when her sister tried with the "Do you know..." she stopped her and said, "That's fine. Sorry for being difficult." It wasn't until she and her family left the restaurant that a co-worker told me who she was. The entire group were dressed like Hillbillies. How was I to know?

Posted by: Gigi | Apr 22, 2013 9:27:00 AM

12. AMEN to Gigi. I was more saddened by the "Do you know who I am" comment than anything else- that's just so 'egopathetic'...but I still like her.

Posted by: Geoff M | Apr 22, 2013 9:34:38 AM

13. Another VFIP [Very Effing Important Person]

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 22, 2013 9:38:45 AM

14. She make those awesome peanut butter cups, right??

Posted by: Eddie | Apr 22, 2013 9:40:08 AM

15. That apology is as much crap as the LSU player's apology this weekend. Please don't tell me you guys are that easy.

It's already reported elsewhere that her publicist is trying to say the cop lied in his report of the incident, by claiming she really said "Don't you have to have my name?" instead of "Don't you know who I am?"

Posted by: Zeta | Apr 22, 2013 9:50:14 AM

16. Oh, such drama queens. She apologized. Get over it. People make mistakes.

Posted by: dattexas | Apr 22, 2013 10:11:22 AM

17. Jeeze Karen, even I know who Reese Witherspoon is. But since we're on the subject, would someone please euthanize the Kardashians?

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 22, 2013 10:31:47 AM

18. Ryan (as in Phillippe), now I can see why things didn't work out between Reese and you. So, Gwyneth Paltrow is the most hated celebrity in Hollywood...? Methinks Reese realizes by her pro-forma apology that her likeability quotient may take a dive in future casting opportunities.

Posted by: Em Jay | Apr 22, 2013 10:52:32 AM

19. Ryan (as in Phillippe), now I can see why things didn't work out between Reese and you. So, Gwyneth Paltrow is the most hated celebrity in Hollywood...? Methinks Reese realizes by her pro-forma apology that her likeability quotient may take a dive in future casting opportunities.

Posted by: Em Jay | Apr 22, 2013 10:52:32 AM

20. Alcohol brings out 'the real you' in many people. I think the "Do you know my name?" comment reveals exactly who you are. A sober apology won't hide the revelation that you think you are better than the rest of us and operate with a sense of entitlement.

Posted by: Mitch | Apr 22, 2013 10:55:37 AM

21. Outside of her "America's Sweetheart" public image, Reese Witherspoon is a well-known snatch of the first order, b*tchy, rude, and demanding. A lot of her co-stars and directors are gloating over this story today.

The apology is nothing but damage control for her image.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 22, 2013 11:04:28 AM

22. @GIGI: I absolutely love to hear stuff like that. I have always heard that Jennifer Connelly is a class act in every way. Makes me love her even more.

Posted by: AJ | Apr 22, 2013 11:42:07 AM

23. I think it's hilarious. I still love her!!

*bends, and SNAPS*

Posted by: Luke | Apr 22, 2013 12:38:39 PM

24. "If you don't know who Reese Witherspoon is,you must be living under a rock and or in a dark/isolated cave. Something I'd always assume from most readers here,given their ... arrogant comments on pretty much every post." This from somebody named "Audi -owner" who clearly misses the irony.

Posted by: BobC562 | Apr 22, 2013 12:43:09 PM

25. I so hope this was captured on dash cam.

Posted by: Merv | Apr 22, 2013 2:17:46 PM