Michigan | News | Republican Party | Tony Perkins

RNC Committeeman Dave Agema Says Schools Will Turn Kids Gay

Michigan RNC Committeman Dave Agema, who has so far refused to resign for hateful remarks about gays on his Facebook page despite being asked to by Republican leadership, had a talk with hate group leader Tony Perkins, Right Wing Watch reports.

2_agemaAgema compared homosexuality to alcoholism and drug abuse and then unleashed this zinger:

I think what the people have to know is if this passes, what will happen is it is just a progression of events that will occur. First of all, what will happen to your school kids when they are in school, it’s already being taught in a lot of places that it is an accepted lifestyle. Then the next thing that will occur is your kids will come home and say I think this is a good thing and I think I want to be one, and if you as a parent stand up and say this is against my moral beliefs and my biblical beliefs, then the next thing you’re going to get into is hate crimes because you’re speaking against something that’s been sanctioned by the state. If you look at Denmark and others then the state also tells the churches you have to marry homosexuals and if you don’t what may happen in the United States is you might lose your tax exempt status.

So this all blew up and so I made a web page here listing several other studies that show the harmful effects of the homosexual lifestyle. Just imagine this, if our kids are in school instead of being told that this is an acceptable and OK lifestyle we are actually briefed and taught the ramifications of this lifestyle, that you’re going to live twenty years less than the average person, you are going to die younger and here’s all the diseases you’re going to contract, there’d be a totally different philosophy here instead of basically telling the kids that this is good. So I think we got to go into this with our eyes wide open and what the 2 or 3 percent of homosexuals what they are doing in the United States today is trying to get the courts to do what they can’t get the individual states to do, and that’s dictate that all states will accept homosexual marriage.

(h/t zack ford at think progress)

Comments

1. Do these guys go to school to learn to be such idiots? Surely no one is born this stupid? It must be something he learned in school and then came home and announced "I want to be stupid".

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Apr 11, 2013 4:47:55 PM

2. Sees the link.

Imagine what the guy looks like.

Clicks the link.

Nailed it!

Posted by: PDX Guy | Apr 11, 2013 4:54:48 PM

3. I do hope he becomes the new face of the GOP on all the Sunday talk shows and perhaps a regular commentator on CNN. That would be so helpful to the GOP in their attempts to rebrand the party and to open up that big GOP tent welcoming people of all ethnicities, all religions, genders and sexual orientationa. Yep, this guy is the right guy to speak on behalf of the GOP. He will be a real asset at election time......to the Democrats.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Apr 11, 2013 4:55:39 PM

4. Go ahead and home-school your kids, then. My only regret will be that they'll be the ones to suffer for it because they'll only be exposed to your ignorance, then have to try to cope in the real world when they are grown up, realizing they're in the dark ages when the rest of us have evolved.

Posted by: graphicjack | Apr 11, 2013 5:06:05 PM

5. I have 4 straight brothers and they spend about 4 seconds a year thinking about gay stuff. Most aren't even especially liberal, they just don't care. Same with almost all straight guys I know, though my friends are more liberal. This is just bizarre.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 11, 2013 5:20:48 PM

6. @Paul R...I have a slew of straight siblings...catlick italian family ya know.
    Brothers & sisters...rarely talk about my
    "gay agenda". They love my husband, enjoy the slight twist of gay humor we bring to the table. Other than that...not a word. And...never about sex, except to say how happy we all are that at about 60 yrs. of age we're all still getting some. Maybe that's the problem for Mr. Agema?

Posted by: PAUL B. | Apr 11, 2013 5:58:59 PM

7. I want to have a sex scandal with him, NOW!

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Apr 11, 2013 6:01:08 PM

8. LMFAO! You will just end up having more kids being comfortable being who they are. What is so wrong with that? Mr. Agema... if you've got an issue, get a tissue, and go f-ck yourself!!!

Posted by: Javier | Apr 11, 2013 6:37:13 PM

9. Slippery Slopes work both ways. I prefer the slippery slope that leads to the future rather than the slippery slope that leads to dinosaurs, cavemen and violence and death.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Apr 11, 2013 6:42:00 PM

10. "Phoebe Cates made me gay"

People like Dave Agema made me gay...'cause who'd want to be like him? It's all his fault. He should be a man and take it.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Apr 11, 2013 6:44:17 PM

11. how do you get that much stupid into a pea-brain?

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Apr 11, 2013 7:09:51 PM

12. HHHMMMMM! School certainly didn't make me straight.

Posted by: Dennie Wayne | Apr 11, 2013 7:14:40 PM

13. Like so many anti-gay arguments, Agema's are based on fantasy rather than fact and are easily demolished. However, very few of us will bother to do so. We'd rather indulge in ad hominem attacks. Just like the people we purport to despise, we've discovered it's much easier to insult than reason.

For example, Agema claims that gay people suffer more disease and die younger than heterosexuals. Is this true or is it false? Where's his evidence? Where's ours? Judging by the media, we'd guess this is some sort of nebulous, ineffable claim on par with "God is love," when in fact it's a matter of public health statistics. Neither this article nor a single commenter here has bothered to quote a single fact about public health, which is ironic given the absurd wealth of data available about gay men in particular.

Sadly, the facts won't be discussed here, or anywhere. Reasoned, supportable conclusions based on facts take concentration, effort, and intelligence, while screaming "Pervert!" and "Bigot!" requires only a mouth. Yeah, yeah, I know… "Math is hard! Let's go shopping!"

Increasingly, the quality of public discourse provided by LGBTQ people and our advocates is indistinguishable from that of our enemies. Why debate issues when snarling insults generates so many more ad clicks?

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 11, 2013 7:32:09 PM

14. Preach it Dave. Don't resign. You are one of the many Republicans who are the best friends of the Democratic Party and the forces of progress. Hopefully, guys like you will help the Democrats win back the House and retain control of the Senate in 2014.

Posted by: andrew | Apr 11, 2013 8:34:00 PM

15. Dude has it all wrong. It's college that turns kids gay. Just look at the ladies that turn lesbian at college but turn straight when they graduate?

Posted by: Firestorm | Apr 12, 2013 10:20:18 AM

16. Thinking about "Poloticions, When I was in my twenties, I told my Father that I was considering running for Mayor of our Town. He begged me not to do it because our neighbors would think that I did not learn enough in College to be able to support my self. Also, he said that I was a lousy liar; which automaticly disqualified me for the job.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Apr 12, 2013 9:23:18 PM