Football | News | Robbie Rogers | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Footballer Robbie Rogers Talks to 'Nightline' About Coming Out, Gays in Pro Sports: VIDEO

Rogers

Robbie Rogers, the pro soccer player who came out in February and simultaneously retired, speaks with Nightline tonight about being gay and hiding one's sexuality in the world of pro sports.

Said Rogers: "I think the same things that made it difficult for me to come out also gave me the strength. I was raised to be a voice, to be myself, to be unique, not to follow a pack."

Watcha preview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Rogers is also doing an interview with Anderson Cooper on AC360 at 8 pm.

Comments

1. But yet he wasn't, and he did. Lets not go making a hero out if this guy. I'm young, I'll wait for a real one. He comes off as incredibly self-loathing.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 15, 2013 11:34:12 AM

2. Well, i didn't find him "incredibly self-loathing" although his comment about gay slurs sorta gave me pause - we choose our friends; you don't need to choose people who make gay slurs.

he's Out now, and his point(s) are valid. and the grand thing - he's still just as gay as any 'mo i've ever met. so, yay.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 15, 2013 11:46:26 AM

3. Good for Robbie Rogers! It's his life. He can live it any ways he pleases! He can come out whenever he pleases, too!

Posted by: Ninong | Apr 15, 2013 12:05:35 PM

4. Those eyes!!! Dreamy!

Posted by: Bernie Keefe | Apr 15, 2013 12:06:45 PM

5. uh, just to clarify: there's really no such thing as "being forced to come out" - and when people talk about that what they're saying is "i'm still letting other people force me to Stay In"

it's just one of those things that people don't really realize until they're actually fully Out - there's no such thing as "it's my life, it's my decision, i can do it when i feel like it" when the reality is that you're delaying it because you're...well...not making it your life, or your decision. once you recognize that, the coming out process tends to speed up.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 15, 2013 12:10:00 PM

6. If Robbie Rogers wanted to wait to come out, that was his decision and his alone. No one can say that he was forced to not come out. He came out when he was ready to come out. Good for him!!!

Posted by: Ninong | Apr 15, 2013 12:21:25 PM

7. It's 2013! Anyone over 18yo that's still in the closet is an embarrassment. Grow a pair.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 15, 2013 12:23:35 PM

8. ironic coming from you, Hearne. *ahem*

or does this mean today's the day you show everyone just how Out you are? :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 15, 2013 12:27:38 PM

9. David, you're an embarrassment to the community.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Apr 15, 2013 12:27:41 PM

10. Coulda been a hero. Decided not to be. That doesn't make him a horrible person, just not the one others were looking for.

Posted by: SC David | Apr 15, 2013 12:35:23 PM

11. I've been openly gay all my life so I don't understand why any gay person would hide his sexuality. It's just dumb. Closeted gays will always feel "less than" and happiness will elude them.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Apr 15, 2013 12:35:58 PM

12. @Chris, everyone has the right to come out whenever one wants, nothing to do with being a hero.
    @David, we are all individuals, so every situation is different.
    @Ninong, agree.
    @Bearnie Keefe, agree.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 15, 2013 12:37:34 PM

13. I'm a bit surprised at some of the lack of empathy I see here.

Coming out seems to have taken a lot of courage for him, especially considering the atmosphere he worked in. I don't blame him for retiring when he came out, pro sports don't exactly have a reputation for being the most inclusive of LGBT folks.

Just because some of us were ready to come out sooner than others, or may live and/or work in an environment where we are comfortable being ourselves, doesn't mean that everyone else is sharing that same experience.

Good for this guy, for speaking his truth and sharing his experience and perspective with the world.

Posted by: Lucas H | Apr 15, 2013 12:47:09 PM

14. To those critics,

Do you guys remember that UK footballer of African origin who was the first one ever who came out and later committed the suicide?
    Let them be good and ready.... real GOOD, And READY in every sense, I mean!

So, let's stop being self-righteous about this!!

Posted by: iban4yesu | Apr 15, 2013 12:56:24 PM

15. I mean, of African descent.

Posted by: iban4yesu | Apr 15, 2013 12:57:45 PM

16. I'm out. Just not to my co-workers. Or family. Especially my mama. She's in her 80s. It would crush her, probably so badly that she wouldn't be able to sign my allowance checks. I couldn't put that burden on her. And it's a tough economy out there for a 50-something unemployed, balding, overweight, small-dicked guy like myself. But I'm out. They all know me at the gay bar two towns over. Dave the Slave. That's me. Tell 'em I sent ya.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 15, 2013 12:59:00 PM

17. He didn't come out, so he did indeed follow the pack.

Posted by: DREW | Apr 15, 2013 1:05:25 PM

18. Yet he waited until he retired to come out.......

Posted by: Bite | Apr 15, 2013 1:05:42 PM

19. I don't think he's a bad human being at all, but he's not a hero either. It's not either or. Either he's an awful person for not coming out, or is this hero for coming out when he's not even on the field anymore. Wonderful man, but not a pioneer, and he doesn't have to be. But we do need an out athlete to role model for so many young LGBT. That person IS truly a hero in my book. On many levels.

Posted by: Junior | Apr 15, 2013 1:08:42 PM

20. I respect anyone who comes out (sorry closet cases, no respect for you, and that's my opinion) but I far more respect those who come out when it's not convenient. Ellen DeGeneres, for examples, was warned she'd risk losing it all -her show, sponsors, fans, even some family- by coming out when she did. She specifically said she wants to make a world with visibility for gay people and that's one of her purposes in life and that she was coming out regardless of loss. THAT is a hero. That is someone my admiration is reserved for.

Posted by: Utopia | Apr 15, 2013 1:12:32 PM

21. it's about time we saw some normal, straight-acting gay men out there. love this guy! i am soooo sick of the typical fem types mincing on the tv screen. hopefully this will inspire more of the normal gays to come out and drive the freaks to the side.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 15, 2013 1:12:36 PM

22. @ Little Kiwi
    Normal straight acting? first of all, all you douches who use terms like straight acting are delusional nut jobs. Stop ACTING. If you really were as "straight acting" as you claim, you'd be banging p-ssy. Not camping on gay sites. Anyone who even refers to themselves as "straight acting" with a straight face needs to be kicked in the face.

Posted by: Mark | Apr 15, 2013 1:17:38 PM

23. @David Hearne: I came out in the 1950's! I don't need to "grow a pair," but thanks for your concern.

Posted by: Ninong | Apr 15, 2013 1:21:42 PM

24. One of the most current visible (and destructive) gays on television is Joey of 'Joey and Megan' the YouTube couple. Joey is a handsome normal appearing gay guy until he opens his mouth and screams like a wussy little girl, waving his hands, dancing on his tippy toes, doing little twirls! And for some reason he thinks this is cute or appealing. I cringe when the camera zeroes in on this guy as he swishes and whines, screams and squeals. The impression he gives is the stereotypical impression all straight people see gay people as - and it just isn't so. Guys like Joey are so embarrassing you want to grab them by the throat and tell them to knock it off!

Posted by: Linc | Apr 15, 2013 1:33:32 PM

25. Sorry, I should have said 'Joey and Megan" the YouTube couple now running The Amazing Race.

Posted by: Linc | Apr 15, 2013 1:34:37 PM