Gay Marriage | News | Orrin Hatch | Utah

Senator Orrin Hatch Defends DOMA, Thinks Civil Unions Will Keep Everybody Happy

Senator Orrin Hatch believes civil unions will solve the country's inequality issues while saving the word "marriage" for heterosexuals, the Salt Lake Tribune reports:

HatchThe senator made the comment Wednesday at the end of a wide-ranging interview on Logan station KVNU, where he also said he doesn’t believe people choose to be gay, but "I draw the line on traditional marriage."

...Hatch, R-Utah, defended the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which prohibits the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages, and hopes the court will allow each state to handle this controversial issue on its own.

"I’ll say this, I do believe this could be solved greatly by a civil-union law that would give gay people the same rights as married people," said Hatch, who mentioned hospital visitations and tax benefits. "I think we can solve this problem without undermining the very basis of marital law in our country."

Comments

1. You know how well those separate but equal things work? I am not a second class citizen and you take my money like a first class citizen, marriage will be just fine thank you.

Posted by: daeds | Apr 8, 2013 2:58:27 PM

2. You know how well those separate but equal things work? I am not a second class citizen and you take my money like a first class citizen, marriage will be just fine thank you.

Posted by: daeds | Apr 8, 2013 2:58:53 PM

3. You know how well those separate but equal things work? I am not a second class citizen and you take my money like a first class citizen, marriage will be just fine thank you.

Posted by: dards | Apr 8, 2013 2:59:25 PM

4. Sorry for multiple posts, not sure what happened!

Posted by: Randyowen | Apr 8, 2013 2:59:48 PM

5. It's nice that he wants to throw us a second class bone so that precious hetero marriages can be left undefiled. He can go pound sand up his butt.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 8, 2013 3:08:33 PM

6. It's nice that he wants to throw us a second class bone so that precious hetero marriages can be left undefiled. He can go pound sand up his butt.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 8, 2013 3:08:39 PM

7. It's nice that he wants to throw us a second class bone so that precious hetero marriages can be left undefiled. He can go pound sand.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 8, 2013 3:08:48 PM

8. If Civil Unions are such a great compromise why have Republicans FOUGHT AGAINST them all along? It's only now, when gay marriage seems about to make substantial gains, that people like Hatch are suddenly embracing the idea.

Too little, too late.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 8, 2013 3:10:18 PM

9. As a Mormon, shouldn't he want to define marriage as a man and say 14 or so under age girls?? That was how Joseph Smith defined marriage

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Apr 8, 2013 3:16:09 PM

10. As a Mormon, shouldn't he want to define marriage as a man and say 14 or so under age girls?? That was how Joseph Smith defined marriage

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Apr 8, 2013 3:16:16 PM

11. As a Mormon, shouldn't he want to define marriage as a man and say 14 or so under age girls?? That was how Joseph Smith defined marriage

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Apr 8, 2013 3:16:19 PM

12. As a Mormon, shouldn't he want to define marriage as a man and say 14 or so under age girls?? That was how Joseph Smith defined marriage

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Apr 8, 2013 3:16:21 PM

13. As a Mormon, shouldn't he want to define marriage as a man and say 14 or so under age girls?? That was how Joseph Smith defined marriage

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Apr 8, 2013 3:18:51 PM

14. As a Mormon, shouldn't he want to define marriage as a man and say 14 or so under age girls?? That was how Joseph Smith defined marriage

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Apr 8, 2013 3:18:59 PM

15. Mormon Sen Hatch has a long long anti-gay history.

Posted by: Drake | Apr 8, 2013 3:20:38 PM

16. Mormon Sen Hatch has a long long anti-gay history.

Posted by: Drake | Apr 8, 2013 3:20:48 PM

17. Mormon Sen Hatch has a long long anti-gay history.

Posted by: Drake | Apr 8, 2013 3:21:00 PM

18. No they (civil unions) will not. I want full marriage equality and I will NOT settle for less.

Posted by: RMc | Apr 8, 2013 3:24:07 PM

19. No they (civil unions) will not. I want full marriage equality and I will NOT settle for less.

Posted by: RMc | Apr 8, 2013 3:24:12 PM

20. No they (civil unions) will not. I want full marriage equality and I will NOT settle for less.

Posted by: RMc | Apr 8, 2013 3:24:22 PM

21. Sweet Jesus !
    Stop with the multiple postings !
    Click only once.......have faith !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 8, 2013 3:24:23 PM

22. The French did that in 1991. For a while, civil partnerships were even more popular than marriage among heterosexuals. Apparently, that wasn't enough, and France is about to enact marriage equality.

Posted by: Rich | Apr 8, 2013 3:27:45 PM

23. The French did that in 1991. For a while, civil partnerships were even more popular than marriage among heterosexuals. Apparently, that wasn't enough, and France is about to enact marriage equality.

Posted by: Rich | Apr 8, 2013 3:28:01 PM

24. No they (civil unions) will not. I want full marriage equality and I will NOT settle for less.

Posted by: RMc | Apr 8, 2013 3:30:02 PM

25. No they (civil unions) will not. I want full marriage equality and I will NOT settle for less.

Posted by: RMc | Apr 8, 2013 3:30:11 PM