Boy Scouts | Idaho | Military | News

Father and Son Soldiers to Bike 1,800 Miles to Boy Scouts HQ to Protest Gay Ban: VIDEO

Mcgrath

Army Spc. Joe McGrath, who came home April 15 from a year-long deployment in Kuwait, and his father Dave, a former Army Airborne Ranger, are taking on the Boy Scouts, Idaho's Local8 News reports:

2_grathThese two warriors are home now, in Idaho Falls together. Now, father and son are about to fight one of those wars that don't look like war. "I have six sons, two of whom are gay," said Dave McGrath. "I have an identical twin brother who is an Eagle Scout, and he's gay."

Thinking about his family, a typically talkative Dave McGrath edges on with a quieter tone. "I love the Boy Scouts," he said. "I wish them all the best, and yet they discriminate against people I love."

Dave McGrath is a lifetime scout -- but right now the honor weighs heavy on his shoulders He knows not everybody can be one. "Some of us have gay people that we love," he said.

Father and son will bike 1,800 miles to Boy Scout headquarters so McGrath can pin his "95 objections to their stupid policy" on the door.

Watch a report on their amazing mission, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Beautiful. Very clever. They should call them theses.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 1, 2013 9:03:00 AM

2. I keep waiting for some group of these passionate people to get together and make their own scouts, get a huge media and funding push, and just take over the scouts. Even when they do rescind the ban on gay adults, why would anyone ever want to support them again? They clearly don't want anything to do with gays. I want nothing to do with them. I wish girl scouts just rebranded and became the leading scouting agency.

Posted by: Fenrox | May 1, 2013 9:23:51 AM

3. I keep waiting for some group of these passionate people to get together and make their own scouts, get a huge media and funding push, and just take over the scouts. Even when they do rescind the ban on gay adults, why would anyone ever want to support them again? They clearly don't want anything to do with gays. I want nothing to do with them. I wish girl scouts just rebranded and became the leading scouting agency.

Posted by: Fenrox | May 1, 2013 9:23:51 AM

4. We need to have 500 to 1000 AIDSRiders join the on this ride.

Posted by: Rocco (Rocky) Falco | May 1, 2013 9:53:04 AM

5. Wow. Very sweet story. "They discriminate against people I love". Never truer words spoken.

Posted by: Jon | May 1, 2013 10:40:33 AM

6. I think there are some gay genes floating around in that family. Perhaps they should participate in some research.

Posted by: anon | May 1, 2013 10:44:09 AM

7. These guys would make great scout leaders.

Posted by: Fenrox | May 1, 2013 11:03:16 AM

8. "They discriminate against people I love."

This is why we make this stand. The homophobe mindset has cured in place for centuries and will be a lifelong struggle but it has to be made for this reason.
    It hurts the people we love.

Posted by: JONES | May 1, 2013 12:05:56 PM

9. Safe journeys!

Posted by: Glenn I | May 1, 2013 12:06:13 PM

10. @Fenrox, Navigators USA and Campfire are two such organizations. The number of chapters for Navigators has increased dramatically since the BSA gay-ban policy attracted so much attention.

Posted by: Unruly | May 1, 2013 12:41:57 PM

11. 95 objections.

That's a very Lutheran gesture. I like it!

Posted by: Jerry | May 1, 2013 2:59:45 PM

12. Nullnought:

Glad I'm not the only one who caught that.

Posted by: Jerry | May 1, 2013 3:01:05 PM

13. That's awesome!

Posted by: Tyler | May 1, 2013 3:17:01 PM

14. So is Joe, the soldier/son who just returned from Kuwait, gay? The report doesn't make that clear, only that 2 of Dave McGrath's sons are gay.

Posted by: Caliban | May 1, 2013 3:23:52 PM

15. Hi all! David is my brother and Joe is my nephew, yes they are both straight. He has several other sons, one is out. Follow his blog for details of his ride--he would love it if individuals join in for portions of the ride, or even a big group (helmets please!). I'm joining them for their ride from Salt Lake City to Provo on Sunday (don't tell, it's a surprise). If I knew how to flash-mob it I would. Here are more links--they start their ride Friday morning 5/4/2013:

Posted by: Geoffrey McGrath | May 2, 2013 1:20:39 PM

16. Dave McGrath shouldn't be around children.

Posted by: Red | Jun 9, 2013 10:07:39 AM