Baltimore | Gay Slurs | Law Enforcement | Maryland | News

BigGayDeal.com

Baltimore-Area Police Chief Accused of Calling Officer a 'Fag' and a 'Rump Ranger': VIDEO

Larry Tolliver, the police chief of Anne Arundel County, has been accused of making homophobic slurs against an officer who testified in a corruption trial against former County Executive John Leopold. Tolliver allegedly called the officer a "fag" and a "rump ranger" and reassigned him and two others as retribution for their testimony.

TolliverTolliver is denying the charges, the Capital Gazette reports:

He said allegations he reassigned officers who had testified against former County Executive John R. Leopold are false. Tolliver did, however, admit to using off-color language about homosexuals, though he said he didn’t recall using it at the workplace. The allegations surfaced in a letter dated Monday from County Councilman Jamie Benoit, D-Crownsville, to County Executive Laura Neuman.

Benoit alleged Tolliver reassigned three officers from the department’s Intelligence Division to the Southern and Western Districts and relieved the major who oversaw the unit as “retribution against the very officers that led to the removal of the most corrupt elected official in our county’s history.”

Another officer left the unit voluntarily before he could be reassigned, Benoit wrote.

Benoit said one of the officers, a 20-year-veteran of the police department, filed a complaint against the police chief for making anti-gay slurs.

Benoit wrote that in the complaint against Tolliver, the police chief is alleged to have told the officer, “I didn’t know you that you were a fag” after looking at a picture of him.

Tolliver also reportedly called the officer a "rump ranger", according to WJZ.

Chief Tolliver refused to answer questions on camera but said in a statement, “I in no way, shape or form am homophobic. I don’t encourage any negative attitudes or feelings towards homosexuality and don’t question anyone about their sexuality…I fully support a culture of diversity in the agency and it is something I have worked very hard towards, specifically in our recruiting efforts.”

Watch a report from WJZ Baltimore, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I went to high school with Jamie Benoit. He's a nice guy.

Posted by: gehrett | Apr 25, 2013 12:10:11 PM

2. What do you expect from someone who is from a branch of the family which is too ignorant to spell its own name properly?

For those of you who aren't familiar with this particular defective acorn which has fallen from the tree, the proper spelling is Taliaferro.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 25, 2013 12:18:49 PM

3. So using hate language is okay as long as it's not in the workplace? Gee willikers! Who knew?

Posted by: jomicur | Apr 25, 2013 12:21:25 PM

4. A 'rump ranger'? That's not even modern hate speech. Sounds like something Boss Hogg would say.

Posted by: Gregoire | Apr 25, 2013 12:26:59 PM

5. I agree, Gregoire. The phrase sounds kind of old. But I like it.

"rump ranger"-- is that like a booty bandit. I could use one.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 25, 2013 12:33:42 PM

6. "I in no way, shape or form am homophobic."
    ...Tolliver did, however, admit to using off-color language about homosexuals...

Epic fail.

Posted by: Peter M. | Apr 25, 2013 12:43:23 PM

7. Larry Tolliver should be placed on unpaid Administrative Leave while the appropriate investigative officers (agency) looks into the retaliation claim and the discrimination complaints. If found guilty in the slightest way he should be removed from his position of authority. He is being accused of abuse of authority, retribution, retaliation against a lower officer, illegal reassignment of position and several counts of discrimination.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Apr 25, 2013 12:43:42 PM

8. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! "Rump ranger"!!! My favorite is still "fanny bandit". LOLOLOL

Posted by: AJ | Apr 25, 2013 12:50:44 PM

9. Sorry, but I cannot imagine doing anything but dying laughing when I picture someone calling me a "rump ranger". And I am still giggling over reading that in a headline on here. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Posted by: AJ | Apr 25, 2013 12:55:58 PM

10. “I in no way, shape or form am homophobic. I don’t encourage any negative attitudes or feelings towards homosexuality and don’t question anyone about their sexuality…I fully support a culture of diversity in the agency and it is something I have worked very hard towards, specifically in our recruiting efforts.”

He must have had his fingers crossed behind his back at the time because those words sound like hate to me.

Posted by: J. Leo | Apr 25, 2013 1:13:38 PM

11. I prefer the term "Butt Pirate."

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 25, 2013 1:17:04 PM

12. Haha! Rump ranger! No shame in that!

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Apr 25, 2013 1:45:49 PM

13. What ever happened to 'turd burglar'?

Posted by: Lorenzo Taliaferro | Apr 25, 2013 2:35:51 PM

14. I prefer pickle puffer myself.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 25, 2013 2:48:29 PM

15. I prefer pickle puffer myself.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 25, 2013 2:48:31 PM

16. Sounds to me like Tolliver needs to be investigated for his ties to the County Executive. Why should he care (unless he too was on the take) whether some of his officers testified? Something stinks in Baltimore..

Posted by: Burt | Apr 25, 2013 2:48:36 PM

17. Well now, Burt. I can understand "rump ranger", "booty bandit, or even "turn burglar" , but "something stinks in Baltimore" isn't catchy or sexy.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 25, 2013 2:55:29 PM

18. Annapolis is in Ann Arundel County, not Baltimore.

Posted by: gking | Apr 25, 2013 3:16:38 PM

19. How about Fudge Packer?

Posted by: Anon | Apr 25, 2013 4:12:12 PM

20. I'm sorry, the term "rump ranger" made me laugh.

Posted by: fireblazes | Apr 25, 2013 4:56:29 PM

21. As we all know, cops can exchange their silence of corruption for political favors, usually an early promotion or raise. Now, who asks first is often the major question.

Posted by: anon | Apr 25, 2013 5:19:53 PM

22. A ranger is a patrol officer, someone who cruises the streets looking for men to bust. In other words, a cop.

Posted by: Kev C | Apr 25, 2013 7:54:25 PM

23. I thought the term was "Rump Roaster". Either way, it made me laugh as well.

Signed,
    A Proud Rump Ranger
    -yippe-ki-ay

Posted by: leprechaunvict | Apr 25, 2013 10:20:57 PM

24. To clarify, let's not consider where this took place (Anne Arundel County) any part of Baltimore since it isn't. It's mostly middle-class, beer-swilling, right-wing Limbaugh lovers whose idea of a good time are their butts planted in the Stratolounger cracking open case after case of Bud Light and passing out during the Orioles game.

Posted by: Richard Crystal | Apr 26, 2013 8:50:32 AM

25. To clarify, let's not consider where this took place (Anne Arundel County) any part of Baltimore since it isn't. It's mostly middle-class, beer-swilling, right-wing Limbaugh lovers whose idea of a good time are their butts planted in the Stratolounger cracking open case after case of Bud Light and passing out during the Orioles game.

Posted by: Richard Crystal | Apr 26, 2013 8:50:32 AM