Crime | New York | News

Arrest Made in NYC Attack on Gay Man Amid 'Alarming Spike': VIDEO

Dan_contarino

ABC7 last night took a look at anti-gay hate crimes in NYC after two more, one against a nightlife promoter in NYC's East Village and one against a couple in Soho, were reported.

CBS2 spoke with that nightlife promoter, Dan Contarino, about the attack that sent him to the hospital.

Watch both reports, AFTER THE JUMP...

GornellContarino's attacker, has been arrested. ABC7 has more:

In one incident, the victim, 45 year old Dan Contarino, and the suspect both live at a nearby homeless shelter, on Avenue D. They left the shelter to have drinks and then went to get pizza.

Police said the victim said at some point they had a conversation about homosexually. The suspect became enranged, yelled anti gay remarks and struck the victim several times in the face. Contarino went unconscious and woke up at Bellevue Medical Center.

The suspect, 39-year-old Gornell Roman turned himself in to a police precinct in the Bronx late Tuesday night. Roman is charged with felony assault, felony aggravated harassment and misdemeanor assault, all as hate crimes. Roman has more than two dozen prior arrests, many drug-related charges. Roman is charged with assaulting 45 year old Dan Contarino after they went out for drinks and pizza in the East Village Monday night.

They started up a conversation about homosexuality while walking back to a homeless shelter where they both were staying. Roman assaulted Contarino on the way back to the shelter, yelling anti gay remarks and striking the victim several times in the face. Contarino went unconscious and woke up at Bellevue Medical Center, where he was treated.

Watch both reports, AFTER THE JUMP...

Hatecrimes

Comments

1. Are there more anti-gay crimes or are there more being reported to police? Many years ago I was assaulted for being gay but when I went to report it I was pretty much ignored by the police. A friend of mine was beaten by his ex-boyfriend as well and when he called in to report it the police said that "a guy can't be abused by another guy." Is it possible [I'm hoping beyond hope] that there hasn't been a doubling of anti-gay hate crimes in New York?

Posted by: Gigi | May 22, 2013 8:17:01 AM

2. I wonder when the racist, crazy people are going to show up here and blame this gay bashing on black people?

Posted by: edwin/elg | May 22, 2013 8:46:02 AM

3. Maybe when the homophobe bashings start happening, this will stop.

Posted by: Tad | May 22, 2013 9:01:34 AM

4. Those numbers seem to be too low for a city of millions. Are they hiding numbers or have a strict policy of what constitutes an anti-gay crime?

Posted by: Mike | May 22, 2013 9:14:59 AM

5. Wait, in prior news stories I have read, it says this guy is a well-known nightlife promoter, and runs a blog. But this one is saying he lives in a homeless shelter? I'm confused.

Posted by: J Y | May 22, 2013 9:19:29 AM

6. @J Y -- You and me both. From his facebook feed: “Still at precinct…. I NEED A FAB BIG PAIR OF D&G or GUCCIS during this healing process… LOL” This guy's living in a homeless shelter?

Posted by: Gigi | May 22, 2013 9:23:04 AM

7. That was obviously not your typical gay bashing/hate crime. Without being mean spirited, how much did these two gentlemen drink? Drugs? Lots of ther issues could have transpired that would have resulted in violence between the two men. That said, I hope both men get their lives back together and move on in a positive fashion.

@edwin/elg,

Don't race bait, Edwin. It's completely unnecessary. No one said anything that I've read on here and the other TR posts on this spike [alleged] in NYC gay bashings about it being all the fault of black people.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 22, 2013 9:48:58 AM

8. Since when do men living in homeless shelters go out for evenings of drinks and pizza? This makes no sense. I don't think this is gay bashing - I think this guy is trying to clamor onto the attention being paid to the actual gay attacks.

Posted by: Jackson | May 22, 2013 10:16:27 AM

9. Ratbastard,

LOL...are you being serious. You don't remember the comments on this very news story yesterday? Do remember Rick's incendiary rant?

Edwin/elg,

yesterday, Andy had to stop the commenting on this story because of all the anti-Black racial slurs being hurled.

No, let's not go where we went yesterday with this story, but Edwin/elg asked a legitimate question. He shouldn't be accused of anything considering what went on here yesterday.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 22, 2013 10:23:06 AM

10. Basically all of these hate crimes are committed by two types of people---former criminals and/or teenage/young adult boys. Dredges of society, young guys who are insecure in their masculinity, no-one sane commits crimes like this, obviously. It's important we continue living our lives, openly and honestly, and basically put up a middle finger to the haters. Otherwise, they win.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 22, 2013 10:54:34 AM

11. this promoter-victim is formerly of philadelphia... he recently had to leave because he lost his job and allegedly had a serious drug problem. he posted a bizarre rant of facebook and it was a sad end here in philly for a guy who was a staple in the gay community and nightlife. while i have no doubt that he was assaulted and seriously hurt... i think there are other elements (most likely drugs) involved with this and its not as clear cut "gay bashing" or hate crime... i knew him (albeit casually) and i feel sad for everything that has happened to him...

Posted by: jake | May 22, 2013 12:05:00 PM

12. @Derrick from Philly,

Who exactly is 'Rick'? I swear to you I am upfront on here, I'm not a shill and DO NOT troll or bait. I may have views some others very much disagree with, are maybe even 'offended' by, I don't post anything to deliberately bait or troll. I frankly have no idea who some other frequent posters on here are, like the tiny few who do IMHO bait and troll. And I do know there's at least one uber sh*t stirrer and troll on here, the guy from Toronto. Not sue about anyone else, but I am 100% positive the man from Toronto perniciously baits, race-wise and other, and trolls, under his own assumed alias/name and MANY others.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 22, 2013 12:33:53 PM

13. Pissed I missed the racist rant. Gotta love the insulated racist opinion of self entitled white gays.

Posted by: Munro | May 22, 2013 12:53:12 PM

14. Pissed I missed the racist rant. Gotta love the insulated racist opinion of self entitled white gays.

Posted by: Munro | May 22, 2013 12:53:12 PM

=====================

STOP BAITING AND TROLLING 'Munroe'

Posted by: ratbastard | May 22, 2013 1:43:44 PM

15. Ratbastard,

I thought you had read the thread on this story from yesterday.

The infamous poster, Rick, really went wild in a rant about "...the blacks...the blacks...the blacks". Coming from him it was almost hilarious. Some fool said we (the country) were in a "race war"
    It got ugly and ridiculous, and Andy put a halt to the discussion.

So I feel that Edwin/elg's comment was perfectly appropriate.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 22, 2013 1:56:12 PM

16. Derrick - Look up the Uhuru News site online and tell me that they don't consider themselves to be in a war.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 22, 2013 2:02:25 PM

17. David Hearne, AKA Rick, is doing some more baiting. Ignore it.

Posted by: MateoM | May 22, 2013 2:16:39 PM

18. This is awful. Another gay man attacked for being himself. So sick of these hetero breeders!

Posted by: Two Dads | May 22, 2013 9:47:49 PM

19. I hope this gay man can heal and be strong. I'm proud of him for having the courage to come forward!

Posted by: Drew | May 22, 2013 9:48:16 PM

20. @ Gigi

Anti gay hate crimes are sadly on the rise in NYC. I live here and with elected leaders like Ruben Diaz rallying conservative Puerto Ricans and Dominicans and Latino Catholics in his district to discriminate and be prejudice toward LGBT...this is what comes out of that hate propaganda. Diaz has a lot of blood on his hands as well.

Posted by: Alito | May 22, 2013 9:54:18 PM