Brian Brown | News | NOM

As IRS Activity Makes Headlines, NOM Wants Investigation into Who Slipped HRC its Tax Form

You may recall a story we were posting about in March and April 2012.

BrownThe National Organization for Marriage said "criminal activity" had occurred regarding the publication of its 2008 990-B tax form on March 30, 2012 by the Human Rights Campaign, which sought to reveal how Mitt Romney tried to shuffle his anti-gay financial activities in support of NOM and Proposition 8 through an obscure Alabama PAC.

The document, which contains the names of dozens of donors, is still available at the Huffington Post. NOM is currently the subject of lawsuits in several states for trying to hide its donors.

In light of the recent reports about the IRS targeting specific conservative groups, NOM's Brian Brown is freaking out and calling for an investigation:

"There is little question that one or more employees at the IRS stole our confidential tax return and leaked it to our political enemies, in violation of federal law," said Brian Brown, NOM's president. "The only questions are who did it, and whether there was any knowledge or coordination between people in the White House, the Obama reelection campaign and the Human Rights Campaign. We and the American people deserve answers."

Comments

1. …or you could just pay your taxes so that if you get audited you have nothing to worry about.

Posted by: Andy | May 14, 2013 9:56:57 AM

2. NOM needs to get on those donor disclosure rulings.

It's so rich that they suddenly care about the law while flouting it.

Posted by: Polyboy | May 14, 2013 10:02:14 AM

3. The NOMbies are belly aching about someone being in violation of the law? Since when does Brown and his NOMbies follow state disclosure laws? Give me a break.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | May 14, 2013 10:29:42 AM

4. Considering he has to support all those
    Kids....and his hate money bout to dry up..
    Brian bitching and moaning is hardly news..
    But it is icing on the cake of hate he been double fisting...and we know what the bible says about gluttons..or I do...I paid attention at service....lmao

Posted by: mickey | May 14, 2013 10:41:38 AM

5. Since when is a 2008 tax return confidential?

Posted by: Fenrox | May 14, 2013 10:48:42 AM

6. You can easily search for non-profit tax returns online. They are supposed to be public.

Posted by: Steve | May 14, 2013 10:53:47 AM

7. Hey Brian - why don't you listen to that book you claim to live by and pay "Caesar's things to Caesar"?

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | May 14, 2013 11:10:22 AM

8. 1099 forms are the ones filed by nonprofit tax-exempt corporations. They are available to be reviewed by the public. I have reviewed 1099's from several nonprofit tax-exempt corporations, usually charitable groups when I wanted to know how they spend their money. Reputable tax-exempts with nothing to hide often post their 1099 on their website, or make copies available upon request.

The "trade-off" organizations make to be tax-exempt is that they cannot be involved in partisan political campaigning, have a limit on what can be spent to seek to influence elected officials, and can seek to influence only on issues, not on the outcome of elections. For the record, tax-exempt religious organizations are not required to file a 1099.

Posted by: jpeckjr | May 14, 2013 11:37:27 AM

9. I was mistaken in my last post.

IRS form 990 is the return filed by nonprofit organizations, not form 1099.

1099 is the form for "miscellaneous income" such as interest and dividends. I get a 1099 from my bank showing any interest that was paid.

I do not know if 1099's are public information. I do know 990's are. HRC posts its 990 on it's website.

Perhaps the original post has the wrong form number. I know I was wrong in mine.

Posted by: jpeckjr | May 14, 2013 11:45:40 AM

10. Linking to the earlier Towleroad story, which has an image of the form in question, it is Form 990, Schedule B, "Schedule of Contributors."

This story has the form wrong. This matters because 990's are public, but since 1099's show individual income, not organizational income, I imagine they are not public.

Posted by: jpeckjr | May 14, 2013 11:49:25 AM

11. I had assumed it was their accountants or a staffer that leaked the info. There are public disclosure summary forms, but the entire return is not disclosed.

Posted by: anon | May 14, 2013 2:09:58 PM