Comments

1. Scrammy says

While I genuinely like Daniel and he seems to be one of the more enlightened actors of his generation, I am really, really tired of all the sensationalism that surrounds any straight actor portraying a homosexual in films.

2. GB says

Straight male actors love playing gay. It looks good on their resumes. They have to distance themselves from the performance. Justin Bartha from “New Normal” just got married, or engaged. When listening to straights talk of kissing scenes with men, it sounds like they are describing holding their breath under water.

3. GB says

Speaking of straight exploitation– It’s time to get de-Franco this site. I’m sick of James and David on here –They are milking gays to enhance their straight careers.

4. Tone says

It is probably a good move for Radcliffe. Portraying someone as polarizing as Allen Ginsberg, especially if he does it well, will give him further distance from the franchise-that-must-not-be-named.

I wonder how Ginsberg’s defense of NAMBLA will be portrayed? Even if the film doesn’t adopt a point of view, I hope they clearly portray the queer communities revulsion of his position.

5. Sean says

“I am really, really tired of all the sensationalism that surrounds any straight actor portraying a homosexual in films”

Any actor who has steamy sex scenes has a lot of attention on them. Men who show their penises (str8 or gay),movies like Eyes Wide Shut, and the question of whether something was “real” sex or just acting. This is just another example of that. Actors in movies want to have a large audience. Daniel is saying this is a passionate true to life scene as opposed to a homogenized sex scene. I think it all is matter of society becoming more SEX positive, not just gay sex positive. If Neil Patrick Harris can play a womanizing str8 guy why is it bad for a str8 guy to play a gay guy?

6. Gary says

It amusing to see NAMBLA mentioned. Since when are gays so liberated that they don’t support every group? Tone sounds like he is from the 50’s. He doesn’t speak for the “queer” community–unless it’s now connected with the PTA. Who can we cast in the NAMBLA film? You brought it up.