Crime | News | Russia

First Photo Emerges of Gay Russian Man Killed in Horrific Murder

Tornovoi

This is reportedly the first image to emerge of Vladislav Tornovoi, the 23-year-old Russian man who was tortured, raped, and murdered over the weekend in the southern city of Volgograd after his acquaintances learned he was gay:

In an murder which has sparked outrage across Russia and overseas, the young man's face was smashed with a rock and was then set on fire. Tornovoi was allegedly killed shortly after coming out as gay to friends during a boozy Victoria Day celebration. Two men  aged 22 and 27-years-old - who were reportedly Tornovoi's friends, are under arrest on suspicion of killing him.

(via international business times)

Previously...
After Gay Man's Horrific Murder in Russia, Fears of More Violence [tlrd]
Man Beaten to Death in Russia After Acquaintances Learn He is Gay [tlrd]

Comments

1. Hopefully justice will be served. What a tragic way to die--come out to friends and they assault you.

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | May 13, 2013 2:02:34 PM

2. Lawyers of suspects will pull a gay-panic card for sure.

Posted by: Betocreativo | May 13, 2013 2:04:47 PM

3. I suspect that a closer look will reveal that his assailants were "good Orthodox Christians". Some priest in a funny hat is at work behind the scenes. Orthodox belief appeals to me more than the Roman brand and much of the Reformation liberation, but....Another loss at he hands of zealots.

Posted by: gregorybrown | May 13, 2013 2:05:25 PM

4. I hope this man does not die in vain. I hope it gives voice to positive change in Russia and beyond. I hope justice is served. I hope vengeance comes upon those that killed him.

Posted by: Jeff | May 13, 2013 2:42:54 PM

5. gregorybrown, just stop..please. You can suspect whatever you want, but you really have NO IDEA (zero, zilch, nada) what the motiviation was behind this horrific incident.

Posted by: Patience | May 13, 2013 2:49:17 PM

6. Alas, Russians are profoundly damaged from their journey from serfdom, to revolution to Stalin to the end of the Soviet Union, to today, where oligarchs and the money-grubbing church have taken over, not to mention their deep history of needing scapegoats (jews, poles, gypsies and now gays) in order to justify their lazy drunkenness. It makes for a scary place. And, those Russian immigrants religious fanatics that have settled in the Sacramento area demonstrate similiar unhinged behavior.

Posted by: Jesse | May 13, 2013 2:59:15 PM

7. @Patience Really? "Was allegedly killed after coming out to friends". I know it says allegedly, but all news stories usually say that until final verdicts come in.

Posted by: Chris | May 13, 2013 3:00:16 PM

8. I don't care how drunk they were, they can't possibly call the assailants his friends; they barely seem human. The thought of smashing someone's face with a rock and setting them on fire is unimaginable to me. And rape? So that proves how much they hate gays?

Some of this story doesn't make any sense. It might well all be accurate, but it still won't make sense.

Posted by: Paul R | May 13, 2013 3:24:48 PM

9. @Chris How did @gregorybrown make the jump from "allegedly killed after coming out to friends" to "good Orthodox Christians"? I believe that's the objection made my @Patience and I, for one concur. I don't understand your objection.

Posted by: Chaszle | May 13, 2013 3:32:55 PM

10. does anyone know if Gay cruise lines are STILL going to Russia, St Petersburg? IF they are - they need to STOP NOW!!!!

Posted by: disgusted american | May 13, 2013 4:08:10 PM

11. Jesse, I moved to Sacramento in the last year. Recently, I have my house painted. The main painter is Romanian and his helper is Russian/Ukraine (by the way the Romanian is 25 years old and Ukrainian is 20). Both of them spewed religious comments constanly, and the Russian is this low class vile lazy nincompoop. I learned my lesson fast, and I will never do business with eastern europeans nor Muslins. I don't want my hard earn money to go to haters.

Posted by: Francipani Craig | May 13, 2013 6:24:43 PM

12. I seriously doubt this event prompted "outrage across Russia." The country is full of nasty bigots who are probably still celebrating it as promoting good Christian values.

Posted by: Merv | May 13, 2013 6:42:25 PM

13. I have no idea if these "friends" of the victim were religious. But I do know in Russia and in other countries where the majority of the population is Orthodox, the church does have a lot of political power and has used it to promote homophobia. And it plays an important role in maintaining traditional homophobia, so regardless of the attackers religious devotion, the Russian Orthodox church does bear some responsibility for this murder.

Posted by: MichaelJ | May 13, 2013 6:45:17 PM

14. So terribly sad. Russia has gone so far in the wrong direction on civil rights for LGBT rights. Hopefully, this can be a learning moment for that entire state, and they can learn to accept all their citizens.

Posted by: Ryan | May 13, 2013 7:19:39 PM

15. Religion is always at the bottom of these types of acts. If there were no religion, there would be no homophobia.

Posted by: TooBoot | May 13, 2013 10:42:39 PM

16. Unbelievable how easy it is for some of you to post your xenophobic comments. You can't generalize a whole country. How do you know every single Russian is as you say they are? Let's worry about honoring and celebrating the life of this young man.

Posted by: Brian A. | May 14, 2013 8:09:55 AM

17. Thanks for this article and your reporting. What you do is appreciated.

I posted it to my LGBT Group on LinkedIn with over 19,800+ global members to spur members to read your article and to make comment. I also scooped it at Scoop.It on my LGBT Times news mashup.

Link to group >> http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=63687

All LGBT+ and community allies.... please come join me and 19,800+ of your soon to be great connections on LinkedIn. The member base represents 80% of the world's countries.

It's core value is - Visibility can lead to awareness which can lead to equality. Come stand with us and increase our visibility on the globe's largest professional networking site. Be a professional who just happens to be LGBT - or a welcomed community ally.

Posted by: Dennis Velco | May 14, 2013 11:53:30 AM

18. Portland Oregon has the same problem with a large Orthodox Russian community actively engaged in battling gay rights. During the last gay marriage ballot measure in Oregon the Russian community took to bussing their kids to Salem in order to protest my right to marriage on the capitol steps...

Funny thing- they leave Russia to escape persecution, and come here to persecute me. This is where I was born. GO BACK TO RUSSIA HATERS.

Posted by: NOTICE | Dec 10, 2013 5:54:09 PM

19. @Brian A I see why you'd see some of these comments as xenophobic, however, calling a spade a spade isn't being prejudice, it's simply telling the truth. As a culture, RUSSIA HATES GAY PEOPLE.

Sorry Russia, let me know when you stop hating the world.

Should we all start pretending that conservative Fundamentalist Christians don't hate gay people too? Give me a break- I have limited tolerance for defending haters. And before you start calling me a hater, the only thing I hate is haters...

Posted by: NOTICE | Dec 10, 2013 6:00:04 PM