Books | Catholic Church | Gary Meier | I'm Gay | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Catholic Priest Comes Out of the Closet: VIDEO

Rev. Gary Meier, a Missouri priest, has come out of the closet in the reprinting of a book he originally published anonymously, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports:

Meier“I have tried over the years to reconcile my silence as a gay priest with that of the Church’s increasingly anti-gay stance. I have been unsuccessful,” Meier writes in his book “Hidden Voices: Reflections of a Gay, Catholic Priest.” “I was hopeful that I could find a way to have integrity while remaining part of a hierarchy that is anti-gay — I was unsuccessful.”

Meier originally published the book anonymously in 2011. But last week, he republished it with his own name on the cover. The crowd of 80 or so supporters who turned out Tuesday afternoon at UMSL — where Meier is studying for a master’s degree in counseling — included former parishioners, other Catholic priests, former priests (the Rev. Marek Bozek, pastor of St. Stanislaus Church was in the audience) and members of gay-rights groups.

Since his public declaration of his sexual orientation, Meier said, he has received a lot of support on his Facebook page. One woman, though, scolded him for accusing the church of a “lack of love.”

“That’s not at all what I’m saying,” Meier told his audience. “But I am accusing the church of a lack of tolerance and acceptance.”

Meier was ordained 15 years ago.He says it's unlikely he'll remain a priest:

“To be a priest and active in ministry, you can’t say what I’m saying,” he said in answer to a question at the UMSL event. “I don’t think I’ll be getting any more paychecks from the archdiocese.”

Meier released a video last week celebrating his 15 years at a priest and talking about the LGBT community within the church.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. May he be the first of many to come out and stand against the RCC and its draconian treatment of gay people.

Posted by: Gigi | May 28, 2013 10:36:02 AM

2. Good for him. Some will say it's too late but integrity is integrity. If every LGBTQ person and straight supporter did this and matter-of-factly came out as gay/a supporter and stood up to the bigotry of these religious sects, changes would be made. We can't let these bigots slide anymore with using the Bible as a weapon to bash.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 28, 2013 10:36:40 AM

3. Plain and simple: You want to be happy? Get out of the Catholic Church.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | May 28, 2013 10:49:27 AM

4. So I expect he will be leaving the catholic cult and joining a gay-friendlier cult.

There is absolutely no excuse for him to remain in the catholic cult. 'God'is the same 'god' for those who believe in it.

Therefore there is no reason to stay with the catholics - he needs to join a cult that celebrates his gayness.

Posted by: MaryM | May 28, 2013 10:50:18 AM

5. Gay Catholic priest comes out of the closet? I thought this was another Onion article.

Posted by: BearlyBob | May 28, 2013 11:03:50 AM

6. I don't wonder how, but when the Catholic church will react.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 28, 2013 11:19:49 AM

7. Oh please !
    A church which has a Catechism which states in unequivocal language that gays are "intrinsically defective" cannot possibly have any integrity whatever.

And yes it's late in the day to be discovering the bigotry of the Catholic Church.....there are too many examples to even begin recounting.
    But any self respecting gay who remains in a church which in its doctrine defines us as "intrinsically defective" needs his/her head examined !
    All out, now !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 28, 2013 11:22:48 AM

8. The Truth shall set you Free...as true for the priest as it is for the parishioner.

Posted by: Howard | May 28, 2013 11:30:50 AM

9. I hope Catholic priests can collect unemployment.

Posted by: jomicur | May 28, 2013 11:47:47 AM

10. The Catholic Church thus teaches: "Basing itself on sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that Homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered. They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved" (Catechism of the Catholic Church 2357).

Own it or leave it.....they are the options.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 28, 2013 12:52:58 PM

11. As a Catholic myself I don't find this at all surprising. I know a few (closeted) gay priests myself. The bigger closet is of course the many priests, bishops and yes even cardinals (one who is in my family) who are opposed to the Church's unrealistic teachings on sexual morality.

What I am told is that the Bishops here in America and many other regions are being blackmailed (like Cardinal O'Brien) by pedophiles and members of the Italian mafia in the Hierarchy. Basically the catechism was imposed with anti-gay language to keep "celibate" (meaning gay) priests and bishops in line and protect pedophiles and the mob.

Posted by: Jose Soto | May 28, 2013 2:04:01 PM

12. @jomicur: I doubt he has access to unemployment. Most dioceses in the U.S. have their priests list themselves as "self-employed," a maneuver specifically intended to insulate the diocese from legal or financial liability should just this type of situation arises.

Posted by: William | May 28, 2013 2:29:41 PM

13. @jomicur: I doubt he has access to unemployment. Most dioceses in the U.S. have their priests list themselves as "self-employed," a maneuver specifically intended to insulate the diocese from legal or financial liability should just this type of situation arises.

Posted by: William | May 28, 2013 2:29:50 PM

14. @jomicur: I doubt he has access to unemployment. Most dioceses in the U.S. have their priests list themselves as "self-employed," a maneuver specifically intended to insulate the diocese from legal or financial liability should just this type of situation arises.

Posted by: William | May 28, 2013 2:30:21 PM

15. @jomicur: I doubt he has access to unemployment. Most dioceses in the U.S. have their priests list themselves as "self-employed," a maneuver specifically intended to insulate the diocese from legal or financial liability should just this type of situation arises.

That, alone, may suggest that what this priest did was particularly brave.

Posted by: William | May 28, 2013 2:31:58 PM

16. After some 70 years I still can't forgive the katholque church for how they hate us, so inhuman.

Posted by: terryp | May 28, 2013 2:40:47 PM

17. Catholic teaching is so gay cutlure-centric that IF the Church was not posing as anti-gay it would have been a thriving movement for social justice fighting bigotry and right wing reactionism. Yet the Bishops, sigh, are now even embracing teabaggers who but all HATE the Catholic Church, and there are many Santorums who have a political agenda to turn the Church into Shite by debasing it from Vatican 2.0 to an evangelical protestant reactionary nightmare. I don't pray as much, but when I do I ask the force to bring light to these men who have been overtaken by power, greed, perversion (sexual abuse of kids, male priests) because they are clearly possessed by Satan.

But I do have Hope. Maybe Pope Francis *MAY* do something about it, but I doubt it, but still I hope. Gay people would LOVE the Church for what it really is not for the beast that it has become.

Posted by: Jose Soto | May 29, 2013 3:58:45 AM