Comments

1. Francis #1 says

Good for him. Some will say it’s too late but integrity is integrity. If every LGBTQ person and straight supporter did this and matter-of-factly came out as gay/a supporter and stood up to the bigotry of these religious sects, changes would be made. We can’t let these bigots slide anymore with using the Bible as a weapon to bash.

2. MaryM says

So I expect he will be leaving the catholic cult and joining a gay-friendlier cult.

There is absolutely no excuse for him to remain in the catholic cult. ‘God’is the same ‘god’ for those who believe in it.

Therefore there is no reason to stay with the catholics – he needs to join a cult that celebrates his gayness.

3. says

Oh please !
    A church which has a Catechism which states in unequivocal language that gays are “intrinsically defective” cannot possibly have any integrity whatever.

And yes it’s late in the day to be discovering the bigotry of the Catholic Church…..there are too many examples to even begin recounting.
    But any self respecting gay who remains in a church which in its doctrine defines us as “intrinsically defective” needs his/her head examined !
    All out, now !

4. says

The Catholic Church thus teaches: “Basing itself on sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that Homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered. They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved” (Catechism of the Catholic Church 2357).

Own it or leave it…..they are the options.

5. says

As a Catholic myself I don’t find this at all surprising. I know a few (closeted) gay priests myself. The bigger closet is of course the many priests, bishops and yes even cardinals (one who is in my family) who are opposed to the Church’s unrealistic teachings on sexual morality.

What I am told is that the Bishops here in America and many other regions are being blackmailed (like Cardinal O’Brien) by pedophiles and members of the Italian mafia in the Hierarchy. Basically the catechism was imposed with anti-gay language to keep “celibate” (meaning gay) priests and bishops in line and protect pedophiles and the mob.

6. William says

@jomicur: I doubt he has access to unemployment. Most dioceses in the U.S. have their priests list themselves as “self-employed,” a maneuver specifically intended to insulate the diocese from legal or financial liability should just this type of situation arises.

7. William says

8. William says

9. William says

That, alone, may suggest that what this priest did was particularly brave.

10. says

Catholic teaching is so gay cutlure-centric that IF the Church was not posing as anti-gay it would have been a thriving movement for social justice fighting bigotry and right wing reactionism. Yet the Bishops, sigh, are now even embracing teabaggers who but all HATE the Catholic Church, and there are many Santorums who have a political agenda to turn the Church into Shite by debasing it from Vatican 2.0 to an evangelical protestant reactionary nightmare. I don’t pray as much, but when I do I ask the force to bring light to these men who have been overtaken by power, greed, perversion (sexual abuse of kids, male priests) because they are clearly possessed by Satan.

But I do have Hope. Maybe Pope Francis *MAY* do something about it, but I doubt it, but still I hope. Gay people would LOVE the Church for what it really is not for the beast that it has become.