Deaths | Film | News

BigGayDeal.com

Special Effects and Animation Pioneer Ray Harryhausen Died: VIDEO

Harryhausen

Stop-motion pioneer and legend Ray Harryhausen died yesterday at 92:

In the pre-computer-generated-imagery era in which he worked, Harryhausen used the painstaking process of making slight adjustments to the position of his three-dimensional, ball-and-socket-jointed scale models and then shooting them frame-by-frame to create the illusion of movement. Footage of his exotic beasts and creatures was later often combined with live action.

Let's take a moment to stare in awe at the skeleton scene from Jason and the Argonauts as well as a longer highlight reel.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

I pretty much reacted like this too when I first saw those skeletons as a child:

Jason

Here's a longer tribute reel. Enjoy:

Comments

1. Amazing stuff! Harryhausen was a pioneer in the special effects field, and Jason and the Argonauts is a must-see. I loved all these movies as a child.

Posted by: Jack M | May 8, 2013 8:05:59 AM

2. When I was a kid, Jason and the Argonauts was one of my favorite movies. Best part for me was when those bat winged flying things stole that blind man's food. In later years I really liked the Medusa in Clash of the Titans. Snake headed people always make me sit up and notice.

Posted by: Ben Nevis | May 8, 2013 8:31:41 AM

3. That owl from Clash of the Titans absolutely fascinated me as a kid! This guy was legitimate talent.

Posted by: MT | May 8, 2013 8:49:10 AM

4. What a great Artist. Exciting that new eyes will always be discovering his great work. Makes me want to watch all those early films again.

Posted by: Mike in nyc | May 8, 2013 9:19:37 AM

5. I can still vividly remember being transfixed by the original CLASH OF THE TITANS (1981), which I saw when I was 11 or 12. Harryhausen's stop-motion effects were a revelation, and he was a legend in being able to transport a moviegoer to another world through his achievements.

(Of course, the other reason I loved the movie was seeing Harry Hamlin in THAT toga, but never mind...)

Posted by: JSH | May 8, 2013 10:49:46 AM

6. The man was a legend who brought other legends to life. It speaks volumes that a stop-motion Medusa remains a more creepily-impressive presence than a CGI-created one.

Fantastic cinema was my escape as a child and a great many weekends were spent taking in the wonders he created. Thanks man, and congratulations on cementing your place in cinema history.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 8, 2013 11:17:51 AM

7. I must have gone to see Jason and the Argonauts ten times as a kid when it first came out. I mean, I thought the Ray Harryhausen effects were awesome to my very young 60's mind and all that, but I was more awed by Jason (Todd Armstrong). I had some serious fantasies about being his main Argonaut.

Posted by: jamal49 | May 8, 2013 12:28:34 PM

8. Ray Harryhausen. R.I.P. And thanks for some great, great thrills.

Posted by: jamal49 | May 8, 2013 12:29:27 PM

9. The man was a true masters of movie magic. His handcrafted wonders not just moved they lived.

Posted by: jaragon | May 8, 2013 5:19:02 PM

10. You are an inspiration to artists everywhere. Your legacy will live on. Rest in peace. Please check out his online memorial here http://www.thememorium.com/Memorials/RayHarryhausen

Posted by: thememoriumllc | May 8, 2013 11:25:42 PM

11. You are an inspiration to artists everywhere. Your legacy will live on. Rest in peace. Please check out his online memorial here http://www.thememorium.com/Memorials/RayHarryhausen

Posted by: thememoriumllc | May 8, 2013 11:25:45 PM

12. You are an inspiration to artists everywhere. Your legacy will live on. Rest in peace. Please check out his online memorial here http://www.thememorium.com/Memorials/RayHarryhausen

Posted by: thememoriumllc | May 8, 2013 11:25:46 PM