Erykah Badu | Janelle Monáe | Music | Music Video | News

Janelle Monáe and Erykah Badu Q.U.E.E.N. Out: VIDEO

Monae

Janelle Monáe and Erykah Badu turn it out in "Q.U.E.E.N.", the lead single from Monáe's upcoming sophomore album The Electric Lady.

"Welcome to the living museum where legendary rebels throughout history have been frozen in suspended animation."

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Badu

Comments

1. This is horribly stereotypical. Won't win gay fans. Sorry Janelle and Erykah.It sucks.

Posted by: Adam | May 2, 2013 10:19:47 AM

2. Oh, and why does the video have female models showing their legs but no hot guys showing theirs? Maybe Janelle and Erykah don't wish to appeal to us gay guys. Well, I won't be buying their song either.

Posted by: Adam | May 2, 2013 10:24:00 AM

3. Janelle works it out! Umm, Adam, please speak for yourself, not the gay community. I thought it sounded great, and the video was fun.

Posted by: Dave | May 2, 2013 10:28:03 AM

4. I love it. Saw her in concert once. She puts on an amazing show.

Posted by: Shawn | May 2, 2013 10:30:30 AM

5. So over produced. Best music is the classical at the beginning.

Posted by: busytimmy | May 2, 2013 10:32:24 AM

6. The beginning is meh, but the song kicks in when Ms. Badu shows up.

Posted by: Omar | May 2, 2013 10:40:08 AM

7. Adam, aka Rick/Jason/Ratbastard/David Hearne (aka Towleroad's infamous troll) sure is on here early today.

He doesn't speak for anyone but his trollish self.

Posted by: MateoM | May 2, 2013 10:43:42 AM

8. Sorry to be disappointing, but you're not the Q.U.E.E.N. that the title refers to... Get on over yourself, I don't see her directly trying to court the gay buy.

As for the track: I like the music, it has a lot of strong references. Her voice is great and her moves are solid.

Posted by: CAM | May 2, 2013 10:43:45 AM

9. A little too try-hard.

Posted by: David | May 2, 2013 10:46:42 AM

10. I like the song, it's message and the video was fab and to boot she's going on heavy rotation on itunes.

Posted by: Maverick69 | May 2, 2013 10:57:20 AM

11. I. love. this. I'm getting a Prince vibe and I'm digging it. She's rumored to be lesbian (hence the "booty don't lie" reference) so yeah, I'll support her in any way I can.

Posted by: RONTEX | May 2, 2013 10:59:39 AM

12. We should have picked our own cotton...

Posted by: tommyd | May 2, 2013 11:02:15 AM

13. Love the pkd reference.

Posted by: Poob | May 2, 2013 11:21:59 AM

14. cut to 4:09 and the song comes alive. Erykah Badu can do no wrong.

Posted by: Jim | May 2, 2013 11:24:15 AM

15. The video doesn't have hot men in it so you don't like the song? Well that's a..... novel approach to music!

Not my favorite Janelle Monae song but it's still better than a heck of a lot that's out there.

Posted by: Caliban | May 2, 2013 11:36:29 AM

16. Isn't this the third album? Metropolis, Archandroid and now Electriclady. Anyone who hasn't listened to Metrpolis is missing out! It's only a handfull of songs but its a great album start to finish! This is my newest jam though, love the 70's funk vibe

Posted by: cdubois | May 2, 2013 12:10:04 PM

17. This video is sick! LOVE HER!

Posted by: cdubois | May 2, 2013 12:16:53 PM

18. "We should have picked our own cotton..."

We? Trash didn't own sh.t. All you could do was inbreed.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 2, 2013 12:18:13 PM

19. Love it! I think she's perhaps the most exciting (and underrated)person in music today. Can't wait for the full album!!

Posted by: Gary A/House Music Pusher | May 2, 2013 12:19:18 PM

20. Amazing, as she always is. Apparently, catty queens gonna hate but I'm here to tell you, Janelle is consistently a quality performer, songwriter, and producer. Girl can do no wrong in my book.

Posted by: Linkmaxbub | May 2, 2013 12:57:46 PM

21. Man, Janelle looks and sounds amazing. Nice to see her doing some mainstream stuff, not that I minded her funk/jive sound. Interesting about the comments about Erykah Badu bringing the song to life... I love Erykah, but I felt the look and feel of the song and video slowed down when she came on... Just my impression. Looking forward to hearing what the remixers do with this...

Posted by: AriesMatt | May 2, 2013 1:47:29 PM

22. ok, i thought it was pretty darn rad.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 2, 2013 2:30:27 PM

23. The lyrics in the part part about god and heaven *can* be read as being about being gay. I don't know if that was the intent but it's there if you look for it.

Great song! (It's grown on me since my last comment! ;-)

Posted by: Caliban | May 2, 2013 3:44:49 PM

24. What a fantastic entertainer!

Posted by: trees | May 2, 2013 4:04:20 PM

25. I personally love Janelle's funky, soulful, Sci-Fi shtick. If you listen closely a lot of her lyrics reference her homosexaulity, then again maybe I am just projecting.

Loving this song, can't wait for the album.

Posted by: Thomas | May 2, 2013 5:02:43 PM