Hip-Hop | Jason Collins | Lil Wayne | News

BigGayDeal.com

Lil Wayne: Support for Jason Collins Shows 'It's a Fair World Out There' - VIDEO

Lilwayne

Rapper Lil Wayne offered his take on the Jason Collins story over the weekend in an interview with MTV News.

Said Wayne: "It’s opening a lot of doors and it’s showing that it’s a fair world out there, just to see how many people came to his support and things like that. That’s a pretty fair world out there....Be you."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Get More: Lil Wayne, Music News

Comments

1. A lot of people are going to roll their eyes and dismiss this, but this is a big deal. A really big deal. Rap is basically equivalent to professional wrestling in my opinion, where they build characters. For LW to say this with the hardcore character he has built is a BIG deal.

Posted by: AJ | May 8, 2013 11:07:32 AM

2. Or L'il Wayne is trying to bolster his image after he was excoriated for using the lyric "Beat that pussy up like Emmett Till" in a recently released song.

I know that we're supposed to call anyone who says or does anything even remotely pro-gay a hero, but we could be a bit more discerning.

Posted by: So what | May 8, 2013 11:17:53 AM

3. Lil Wayne also was the first guy to mock Frank Ocean in a song after he came out. This statement is nice but actions speak louder than words.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 8, 2013 11:25:19 AM

4. Just like how the election of a black president shows how fair the world is to blacks.

***eye roll***

Positive reception to 1 black president, 1 female CEO, 1 out gay pro athlete...is certainly a commendable change in our culture. But indicative of a fair world, I think not.

On a more positive note, its good to see another person in the music industry,and particularly hip hop, speaking non-negatively about gay issues.

Posted by: Anony6 | May 8, 2013 11:58:27 AM

5. @Francis #1 That was almost a year ago maybe almost dying last month changed him a little.

Posted by: Kim | May 8, 2013 12:22:18 PM

6. Kim,

It was only a few months ago because Frank only came out in July...not a year ago.....so??

It pissed Frank off more because Odd Future are good friends with Lil Wayne and he liked his as a rapper.

He mentions this in his GQ article.

Posted by: Rowan | May 8, 2013 1:04:54 PM

7. So help me understand... A hardcore rapper with huge "street cred" is encouraging people to be who they are and we're "massively rolling" our eyes? And here I was thinking that this culture is progressing in the right direction... How silly of me.

Posted by: SHABAKA | May 8, 2013 2:52:14 PM

8. Well, i still remember him mocking Frank Ocean not so long ago, but every change is wellcome.
    And famous rappers being less and less homophobic will get a really good impact in young guys, specially in the afroamerican community.

So as some people say, actions speak louder than words, but it's a good first step

Posted by: jjose712 | May 8, 2013 3:01:18 PM

9. Rolling eyes, no, Shabaka. But, again, actions speak louder than words. Lil Wayne uses homophobic language in his songs. Lil Wayne has a homophobic history. But as jjose put, it's a good first step. At least he's not being negative. Given the homophobia issues within the rap culture in general, anyone as popular as Lil Wayne making a statement in support like this is nice.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 8, 2013 3:12:48 PM

10. Rolling eyes, no, Shabaka. But, again, actions speak louder than words. Lil Wayne uses homophobic language in his songs. Lil Wayne has a homophobic history. But as jjose put, it's a good first step. At least he's not being negative. Given the homophobia issues within the rap culture in general, anyone as popular as Lil Wayne making a statement in support like this is nice.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 8, 2013 3:12:48 PM

11. Francis, my point exactly. Why aren't we commending him for finally seeing the truth despite what his past artistic expressions have shown? Why not focus on now going forward and congratulate him? That's really my question. Why are we second guessing his obviously sincere support?

Posted by: SHABAKA | May 8, 2013 3:41:35 PM

12. Lil Wayne is trash, period. In one of his songs, I don't know which one cause I threw my friend's cd out of the car window when I heard the song; but the lyrics in one of his songs says: "if you don't like pussy they turn you into fish food".

He's been anti-gay for a long time, this interview changes nothing.

Posted by: Kevin LS | May 8, 2013 6:44:19 PM

13. I'm no authority on language, however "it's a fair world" makes NO sense. The world is clearly not fair, that's why we have to pass all this legislation to draw attention to & remedy the immense dipararities between the haves the have-nots (whites vs. others, men vs women, hets vs. homos, 1% vs. 99%). I'm trying to understand the man, but there's a large gap between his logic & English.

Posted by: callMEbaffled | May 8, 2013 7:28:44 PM

14. I just think he needs to prove it with his actions. Busta Rhymes congratulated Frank Ocean and that didn't stop him from being homophobic. 50 Cent hasn't stopped using gay slurs in his songs. Hell, Tyler the Creator intentionally uses gay slurs and he's obviously close to Frank Ocean.

Let's see if he continues to gay bash in his music before we congratulate him. But I appreciate this nice sentiment.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 8, 2013 7:34:35 PM

15. I just think he needs to prove it with his actions. Busta Rhymes congratulated Frank Ocean and that didn't stop him from being homophobic. 50 Cent hasn't stopped using gay slurs in his songs. Hell, Tyler the Creator intentionally uses gay slurs and he's obviously close to Frank Ocean.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 8, 2013 7:34:36 PM

16. I just realized that I've been away from the comments section on twlrd for so long that I completely forgot who I was dealing with. You guys wouldn't cut him any slack even if he officiated a gay wedding. Certain folks are simply never pleased. Well suit yourselves, folks, suit yourselves...

Posted by: SHABAKA | May 8, 2013 10:58:53 PM

17. Every time I see Lil Wayne he looks like one of the homeless dudes that hangs out down the street from where I work. He has no style, no presence and is as exciting as a door knob. I guess it really is easy to attain "superstar" status these days.

Posted by: tiko | May 8, 2013 11:23:50 PM

18. African American male: "it's a pretty fair world out there"
    WTF??!