Boy Scouts | News | Tennessee

50-Year Scouting Veteran Resigns Over Gay Ban: VIDEO

Moser

The Boy Scouts of America is losing some of its most loyal members over its policies against gay scouts and leaders. Members like Bill Moser, a Clarksville Boy Scout leader who has been involved in scouting for more than 50 years.

Said Moser in a letter of resignation:

“I have been actively involved with Scouting for over 50 years, and my personal experience with Scouting has reinforced my belief that helping youth is a key to building a more conscientious, responsible and productive society. Teaching or practicing intolerance IS NOT in the Scout Oath or Law. The Scouting Trail begins in the 1st Grade with the Tiger Cub program and ends at age 18 for youth participation.

I personally do not believe a 6-year-old boy has a clue about sexuality. I also believe the policy advocated by the Middle Tennessee Council which would require Scouts who discover they are gay to either resign or violate the 1st Scout Law (Trustworthy) is WRONG.”

Watch Moser speak out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Good for him taking a stand. Hopefully, more will follow in his footsteps.

Posted by: guynyc | May 9, 2013 11:59:39 AM

2. I applaud his taking a stand, but one thing he's wrong about is that no 6-year-old has a clue about sexuality.
    Maybe I was a little precocious and more self-reflective than a lot of kids but, like many gay adults I know, I knew at age 6 that I wanted to marry a man when I grew up. I also knew that I had to keep this a secret because at that age it seemed to me (judging from other people's sexist vocabulary and actions) as if I was the only person in this (seemingly ignorant) world who understood the concept.

Posted by: GregV | May 9, 2013 12:20:52 PM

3. Good for Mr. Moser. This is what having honor and integrity is all about. It's very powerful, too, given he is a farmer from the middle of Tennessee. Goes to show good people exist everywhere.

The majority of adults in the Scouts agree with the anti-gay ban. The organization has totally lost it's way as the Mormons, Catholics and Evangelical extremists have taken more and more control of the organization. They're only going to continue to become more obsolete as they continue their discrimination.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 9, 2013 12:25:37 PM

4. well, re: the 6 year old thing, he's PARTLY right....

just as straight 6 year olds don't "understand the sexuality" of their own orientations as "sexuality" - it aint SEXual yet.

i understood that when i watched The Goonies i reallllllllyyyyy like to look at Josh Brolin. Didn't understand what "that meant", however.

but still, this is rather wonderful. and yes, you can't proclaim trustworthiness and honesty and integrity while promoting an ideology that forces people to lie in order to appear trustworthy.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 9, 2013 12:30:25 PM

5. OK, I guess, but I find it all a bit weird. The Boy Scouts have never had a pro-gay position. As a Scout leader for 50 years, surely he knew that all along. (And as for the argument about six-year-olds: six-year-olds aren't allowed to be Boy Scouts.)

Posted by: Sparky | May 9, 2013 12:46:40 PM

6. i was a scout 50 years ago, and the scouts weren't anti ANYTHING, and the scouts themselves came in all sizes and shapes. scouting was the refuge for all the non-cool people, containing an entirely different scale from that which prevailed in schools. it was, mostly, a meritocracy, in which the heroes were the hard workers and the team players, and the skills of all were appreciated, even the ones who wanted to put on makeup (warpaints of course) and dance around half clothed (indian lore, oy).

gay kids GRAVITATED to scouting, because it was a safe place, and bullying and name calling were not permitted.

Posted by: bandanajack | May 9, 2013 1:45:35 PM

7. 6 year olds are Cub Scouts which is still part of the same organization and the path to being a Boy Scout so he is correct about when kids start in the program.

Posted by: Unruly | May 9, 2013 2:09:36 PM

8. Good for him for taking a stand...and in Tennessee, too! Awesome!

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | May 9, 2013 5:45:38 PM

9. Mr. Moser tells the story as he knew it in Clarksville, but on Long Island, NY where I was a scout in the 1930's, our Scoutmaster was a known Homosexual, and I was in the "Queer" Patrol. But, then, we were not sponsored by a Church, but by a local Bank. As far as the strait Scouts were concerned, grabbing one of us when we went on weekend camping trips, and taking our pants and underwear off, gave them great fun, while we loved the attention. When we got our clothes back on, we all just went on doing what we were doing before the mutual fun fest started.

Posted by: Jerry6 | May 11, 2013 5:44:57 PM

10. Let us hope there are more Mr. Moser in the Mid West and in the rest of this country. It is time that the Boy Scouts ended their relationship with religious organizations. Lord Baden Powell, the founder of the Boy Scouts in Great Briton welcome all into their ranks, even in those days of segregation Blacks were welcomed. Haven't we learned enough at this point in all our lives to understand it is time to move forward>

Posted by: EJC | May 13, 2013 12:32:49 PM