Comments

1. Caliban says

It’s an argument that needs to be made more often. The Religious Right scare-tactic that gay marriage will somehow “destroy” the institution of marriage is completely without basis. If no-fault divorce, “trophy wives,” and the numerous marriages even by the so-called “defenders” of marriage like Newt Gingrich and Donald Trump haven’t killed marriage it’s pretty much bullet-proof. (The current record for # of marriages by a living person is 23, BTW.)

It seems to me that the gay people who want access to marriage have far more faith in the institution than those who claim it’s fragile and so easily broken. And more people seeing marriage as a desired ideal only makes it stronger, doesn’t weaken it.

Of all people, former Prop 8 proponent (and trial witness) David Blankenthorn made the excellent point that the real danger to marriage is poverty and lack of education. From his LA Times op-ed:

“Upscale Americans are still enjoying marriage’s economic and social advantages. For example, only about 6% of children born to college-educated women are born outside marriage. Among women with a high school degree but not a four-year-college degree, though, it’s 44%, and among poorly educated women, it’s 54%. Many other numbers tell the same story.

This class-based marriage divide is not only large, it’s constantly getting larger. Scholarship shows that it’s contributing significantly to the rise of economic inequality. I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that it’s threatening the American dream.”

So it ain’t the gays they need to worry about.

2. edwin/elg says

“This doesn’t quite make up for her years of arguing that gay men hurt women in general by encouraging “down low” behavior.”

^^I agree with this^^.

I haven’t forgotten Oprah’s interview with black woman writer, Terry McMillan and her ex-husband, Jonathan Plummer after he came out as gay.

I can still see the contempt on Oprah’s face when she called Jonathan “down-low” to his face. He looked like a whipped puppy when she said it, which I suppose was the point. Meanwhile Terry sat there with a look of satisfaction on her face. It was an ambush pure and simple.

3. Caliban says

No, Oprah isn’t fully without blame but she has also done some good for the gay community.

But what’s with that “Super Soul Sunday” business? I see that and I’m thinking SOOOUUUUUUL TRAIN! All it would need is Oprah in a huge afro to complete the allusion.

4. Pete N SFO says

I’m always mixed about Oprah. She could have done a lot more to further the discussion; everyone on her staff was seemingly gay, but she really didn’t, not until late in the game.

Finally, when Nate’s lover was swept away in the tsunami, she had a fantastic scoop and really for the first time gave him and gay-relationships, an appropriate context for discussion, without sensationalizing them.

Like a lot of our allies, I was often left scratching my head at how much even ‘they’ didn’t seem to get it.

5. Kim says

If Nate and Suzie didn’t have the balls to come out earlier don’t blame Oprah.Andre and his partner and Reggie were out on the show years before Nate and Suze Orman.

6. Morton says

I love Oprah but she could have done more to open the dialogue and help her MANY gay friends, personal friends. And make a huge impact on her audience. But I hope she now will with her programming. All human issues are human rights

7. JoelD says

Personally, I think Oprah is very much like the average person on her own journey…we just get to watch it. Unquestionably well intentioned, and through her success she has a platform to reveal that journey and is doing so. Being open to the journey is all I ask of anyone, really.