Democratic Party | Lincoln Chafee | News | Rhode Island

BigGayDeal.com

Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee Switches from Independent to Democrat

ChafeeRhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee has joined the Democratic Party, Politico reports:

Chafee quietly informed President Barack Obama of his intention to affiliate as a Democrat after reaching that decision in private, Chafee spokeswoman Christine Hunsinger said. The governor’s office confirmed Chafee’s plans after POLITICO reported that the governor had notified national Democrats that he’d be joining the party.

A former Republican who served with Obama in the Senate, Chafee has struggled with perilously low job approval ratings and faces a difficult reelection fight in 2014.

Comments

1. Nice for him to be with the more popular party in the state. Hopefully, Democrats don't lose the seat. Seems overtly political and convenient.

Posted by: Tim | May 30, 2013 9:53:25 AM

2. How heroic. All he left out is that he's calculated as an Independent his current approval ratings are so bad that he'd lose. BTW you might mention the state's unemployment rate. I'm sure the Dems are thrilled to have him! A second Arlen Spector ("because if I don't, I'll lose!")

Posted by: MIke | May 30, 2013 11:32:18 AM

3. How heroic. All he left out is that he's calculated as an Independent his current approval ratings are so bad that he'd lose. BTW you might mention the state's unemployment rate. I'm sure the Dems are thrilled to have him! A second Arlen Spector ("because if I don't, I'll lose!")

Posted by: MIke | May 30, 2013 11:32:21 AM

4. I just can't stand this type! His dad was a politician till the day he died and this guy knows not 5 minutes of ever ever having to make a payroll or working in the private sector. He's scared to death.

Posted by: MIke | May 30, 2013 11:43:19 AM

5. I'm in Boston. The R.I. border is 40 miles south of me. I know R.I. well. Pretty state, beautiful ocean views everywhere, which is why it's called the Ocean State.

Unfortunately R.I. also has a terrible economy. Many people from R.I. work in Boston 40-50 miles from their home. The MA side of the border, called the southcoast [and Cape Cod and the Islands] economy is likewise not in good shape. Many people from there also work in Greater Boston 30,40,50+ miles up the road. MA has a good economy, one of the best in the country, but only because of Greater Boston. R.I. is the second most densely populated state [after NJ, MA comes in 3rd] in the country. It's like I said a pretty state, but has serious economic problems. It's also been a one party state [Democrat] for a very long time. It could probably use more diversity in it's politics. It might if anything weed out some of the corruption that develops in one party states,Democrat or Republican.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 30, 2013 1:09:11 PM

6. Hey Lincoln, welcome to the Communist Party.

Posted by: Steve | May 30, 2013 2:34:34 PM