Toronto-Area RE/MAX Real Estate Agent Fired for Distribution of Homophobic Flyer

Ciastek
(image missassauga news)

Last week I posted about Andrew Ciastek, a RE/MAX Real Estate agent in the Toronto-area city of Mississauga who was under fire for distributing sales brochures which included an article promoting "traditional families" as the best for the future of children.

RE/MAX has fired Ciastek, XTRA reports:

Andrew Ciastek was terminated for “poor judgment on his personal marketing,” according to Christine Martysiewicz, director of internal and public relations for RE/MAX Ontario-Atlantic Canada.

“We assure the general public that his actions in no way reflect RE/MAX or our associates. We're offended by the insensitivity shown here just as much as the community is. We take pride in the diversity of our workforce and our clients,” Martysiewicz says…

…Ciastek was not immediately available for comment. In an interview before the termination was announced, he told the Toronto Star he realized people are “hurt” by the flyer and promised to apologize.

Comments

1. AggieCowboy says

Good! And an apology is a good place to start repairing the damage…and we’re not talking one of those “I apologize if I offended anyone…” non-apologies. It needs to be a real apology in which he takes full responsibility for insulting and offending ALL non-“traditional” families.

2. Gigi says

What gets me is that this wasn’t just something posted quickly online, or an e-mail sent in haste. He had to put the information together, proofread it and then think: “Yes! This is exactly how I want to brand myself as a professional realtor.” I’m glad Re/Max fired him. They did the right thing. This is one of the many reasons I’m glad that I live in Canada. This kind of sh!t isn’t tolerated [in most of the country].

3. Gigi says

4. Clayton says

He’ll soon be hailed as a hero and martyr by the far right.

I think he’s certainly entitled to his opinion. But it was really stupid and short-sighted to put such an article into a sales brochure. People in sales generally want to reach as broad a market as possible, and it would seem to be common sense to realize that such an article would…shall we say…alienate part of the customer base. He might as well have publish an article saying that people shouldn’t marry outside of their race because it is unfair to the children.

5. XoMoDe says

One of the reasons I dislike Canada. They’re like those parents who demand that feuding siblings hug and consider every unfriendly opinion or action the equivalent of yelling fire in a crowded movie theater. As much as I’m annoyed at how kookishly liberal the US is becoming, I’m glad that this type of thing would never happen here.

6. Mike says

Good for RE/MAX! Am glad that that twit Andrew Ciastek was fired for such deplorable conduct. Can hardly wait for his “non-apology” apology . . .

7. Mike says

8. Chris says

XoMoDe. Glad you typed that instead of saying it. Or else I wouldn’t have been able to have heard you over our marriage equality, functioning economy, general absense of religious hysterics, healthcare, close ties with the rest of the commonwealth……. You get the picture.

9. Caliban says

This is one of those things where you just have to wonder “What was he THINKING?!” For a realtor it was an incredibly stupid thing to do and I’m not surprised he was fired since he was representing RE/Max, not just himself.

But he referenced the thoroughly discredited Regnerus study in the brochure which pretty much proves he’s a Religious Right nut so I guess it’s not that surprising he’s just not that bright. Nobody but them ever cites that “study” because it’s such a stain on the reputations of everyone involved.

10. shanestud says

If he were in the good old US of A he would have a lawyer claiming that his First Amendment rights were violated or a Liberty University legal group saying that he was denied his “religious freedom” Canada has strong anti-discrimination and hate laws and a more inclusive society that recognizes bigotry quickly.

11. Bryan says

Another closet case for Jesus.

Finally, in the last decade, LGBTQ people have begun to address our youth directly.

Admittedly, middle-aged closet cases steaming with toxic hypocrisy aren’t nearly as appealing as young people, but I wonder if guys like this don’t need help every bit as much as suicidal teens.

Sadly, I can think of a way to save such people form themselves. They’re like meth addicts… They have to seek treatment before you can do anything but waste your time with them.

12. David Hearne says

…… our marriage equality, functioning economy, general absense of religious hysterics, healthcare, close ties with the rest of the commonwealth……. You get the picture.

Posted by: Chris

Well , you do have universal healthcare (so do we albeit a much worse design) and I’ll take your word for your popularity with Bahamians. In Florida, “Canadian” is a code word.

13. David Hearne says

Re/Max didn’t fire him because he was not an employee of Re/Max. AT most, they terminated their rental and marketing agreement.

14. David Hearne says

Shanestud – Canada’s infringement on freedom of speech is nothing to be proud of. Howbeit in this case , ReMax terminating his office association is not a violation of his speech because he was doing it under their letterhead.

15. XoMoDe says

@Chris. I’m not impressed. The US is the most powerful nation on the planet; trust that we are not envious of Canada. We could have all that you silly, idealistic Canucks like to boast about (and more)…but few of our citizens would be willing to be castrated for it, the way you Stepford people are.

I wouldn’t put anything you laughably tried to brag about over our Constitution, and free speech. I’ll gladly pay for my own healthcare and deal with devoutly religious fundamentalists if it means being able to tell you to your face that I don’t like you or your kind.

16. Nat says

Wait… if I’m not mistaken, the man in the picture is him, right? Why does his shirt say “Hate is not a family value.” Is this guy stupid, delusional, or both?

Doesn’t he understand that his type of rhetoric is the seed of hate or is he just delusional?

17. Caliban says

@Nat, I’m pretty sure the guy in the picture is the one who got the brochure and complained. That’s why he’s wearing a pro-gay T-Shirt.

18. Bill says

@XoMoDe @Chris: XoMoDe is probably angry because his guy lost in our last election. Some of us voted for the winner because at least he wanted to try to get us a decent health-care system, like nearly every industrialized country has.

19. Gestly says

Last year a realtor in the U.S. set a box of Cheerios on fire to protest “the gays”. The video he posted on youtube went viral, showing the flaming cereal light General Mills’ lawn on fire as he flees to his car. I called his office manager and asked “Did you know you have an arsonist on your staff?” He was fired the next week. The week after that he dropped dead of a heart attack. My reaction “Oh”.

20. Mike says

@Nat. Do not think so. Click on the Mississauga news link right under the picture. Apparently the guy in the photo with the “HATE is not a family value” shirt is a retired teacher by the name of Jon McDonald. He could have just said “Bullkrap!!!” and let it have the intended effect on others. He did NOT! As a teacher he had heard his students taunt each other with homophobic slurs for 33 years. He was so incensed to receive the bloody flyer in the mail that he alerted RE/MAX, the real estate council of Ontario, the local human rights commission, the local police diversity unit and others. Jon McDonald is the true hero here! He chose to get involved. He even sought legal assistance. (As it was sent through the mail should not the government act? Or is that ONLY with the United States Post Office and not true of Canada?) Whatever, the mailing was Neanderthal stupid and in shockingly bad taste! At least this jerk not only lost his job but RE/MAX went into damage control. They have already said that they will donate an “undisclosed” sum to the local Pride. Hope that it is a substantial amount! (The legal fine that RE/MAX could face is $25,000 to start with.) It is great and almost glorious when one of these idiots does something this malevolent and it blows up in their hateful face.

21. Gigi says

@XoMoDe — It’d be nice if you knew what you were talking about before you posted. Many real estate companies have a clause in their agreement with the agent that states all marketing material much be approved by the brokerage before it’s distributed. Since many agencies have 100s of employees, most don’t enforce this policy unless the agent sends out something that could damage the brand. Which is what the agent in question did. Which is why he was fired. You’re misguided if this is one of the reasons that you dislike Canada because it can and does happen in the United States.

22. ratbastard says

They should put him on ‘trial’ in one of Canada’s extra-judicial kangaroo courts know has human rights tribunals, an institution straight out of communist Russia or Nazi Germany.

23. ratbastard says

What Gigi said. He of course worked under a legal contract. He undoubtedly violated numerous clauses. I’m sure they were perfectly within their rights to fire him. This is not a matter of free speech.

24. Jay says

It is interesting that all these posters so upset that this guy has been fired are the same ones that believe that private employers have the right to fire people for being gay or any other reason. Actually, I think this guy probably did not intent to be offensive. He seems to be just not very bright and did not realize what he was he was distributing. In any case, it is absurd to blame Canada for his being fired. It was done by a company who believed he had become a liability rather than an asset.

25. Caliban says

To me this story is more than usually bizarre. I mean this guy is a commissioned salesperson and he thought it was a GOOD idea to insult and offend a wide swath of potential buyers and their allies?! What did he *expect* the reaction was going to be?

In fact it’s so counterproductive to his presumed goal of selling houses that it’s indicative of disordered thinking. And I’m not just saying that because it’s homophobic; it would be just as dysfunctional if he had targeted ANY group, cat owners or left-handers. It would be just as feckless if his brochure said “Those godd@mn Wiccans are a real pain in the @ss!” When your livelihood is dependent on sales you don’t say sh*t about ANYBODY. But apparently this guy “worries” about gays to a degree it overwhelmed his basic common sense and made producing this brochure seem like a reasonable, productive thing to do.

I think it’s safe to assume that rocket science isn’t his fallback career.

26. ratbastard says

Hey Steve,

Social losers? Says who? You? And what did I say that got your panties in a bunch? Made a crack about Canada’s Human Rights Tribunals? Or that his employers had a right to fire him because he undoubtedly violated a contract? That this was a free speech issue?

Steve: good at throwing out buzz words like ‘infowars’, and regurgitating the party’s talking points. Good at calling people he disagrees with names.

27. Phil says

It’s always nice to be Canadian coming to JMG and basically read how we are crap. Wonderful society you guys have, even the gays come onto the progressive sites and mock others who are not part of their US of A.

I come here to see the progressive movement in the USA, and the gays from the USA mock people outside of the US. Perhaps its because you keep hearing people make fun of you so much, that you justify making fun of others…

I dont get it… Canadians are wonderful people, and we work really hard to make a good society. We self-check and we make sure we are moving forward. Looking at the US, with all it’s fight and passion, still constantly move backwards most of the time… You are polarizing so badly, that no matter what you do, eventually you are going to be split into 2, or more! You should be united with the world, not with just yourselves!

I wish the best for the USA.

28. says

Pathetic. A man loses a job for advocating for traditional families. People who disagree are free to toss his material. I see some busybody Jon McDonald contacted the Mississauga News, the cops thought police division and the human rights commission. So much for “diversity” and free speech in Canada. Most appalling are the gutless wonders at ReMAX, firing this guy. Canada is choking under minority tyranny and censorship. I notice nobody even questions the science cited by Mr. ciastek. He isn’t being attacked for falsehood, merely for expressing some uncomfortable facts. I’ve let my ReMAX agent know I’ll have trouble dealing with a company that clearly has chosen a minority over traditional Canadians and has attacked free speech.

29. says

Whilst I promote free speech and respect this man’s personal views I am upset that he felt he could use his professional status to promote them. I would have hated to be presented with this manifesto while house-hunting.