News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #1365

MENTAL FLOSS: 38 common spelling and grammar errors.

KISS CAM BREAK-UP: Well that was awkward.

HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT: Sick of learning from packets.

GUINNESS: This groundbreaking Guinness ad that never aired in 1995 but was later uploaded to YouTube, and gets popular every now and then (I posted it back in 2007) is suddenly going viral again thanks to Facebook.

For recent Guides to the Tube, click HERE.

Comments

1. "Mental Floss" was great. It should be used in every highschool and college in the country. I should watch it every 4 hours for the rest my life.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 9, 2013 5:23:10 PM

2. I had never seen the Guinness commercial till now -- LOVE IT!

Posted by: Gregor | May 9, 2013 6:44:46 PM

3. What a wise high school student. Too bad he has been forced to take a stand.

Posted by: Critifur | May 9, 2013 8:55:17 PM

4. All I have to say to that high school student is PREACH!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | May 9, 2013 10:25:19 PM

5. That particular Guinness advertisement was aired, albeit very briefly, during Pride week in Toronto, Canada, if not actually 1995 then the following year part and parcel of the then SHOWCASE specialty cable channel's "Showcase Review" which each year featured a weeks worth of gay-themed films and features in its' nightly 10:10 PM time slot.

Posted by: Warren C. E. Austin | May 9, 2013 11:40:25 PM

6. Yes, yes, YES!!
    At last, someone has pointed out that "I could care less" makes NO sense, it sould of course be "I COULDN'T care less". I want to scream and shout whenever I hear someone say this.

And "would of" also. Grrr.

I must say, I have never heard anyone use the phrase "For all intensive purposes", but if I did, I'm afraid I would have to laugh in their face.

Posted by: Peter Hargmier | May 10, 2013 8:49:04 AM

7. As someone who's been teaching for 8 years in public schools--including numerous long-term and short-term assignments subbing--I'm very interested in that classroom clip about the kid going off over the packets. There are many, many hard-working and dedicated teachers who do AMAZING lessons for kids (and I speak as someone who regularly spent the majority, if not totality, of his classes being "on" and engaging with kids), but there are indeed a handful of "the packet pushers" who basically do a 5-minute intro and then make the kids sit there and just fill in the work for 90 minutes. However, depending on the nature of this class (is it a special ed or credit recovery class? Are the kids normally combative, hostile, off-task, etc?), sometimes teachers are fighting a losing battle because parents and administrators won't hold the kids accountable, and all the teachers can do is try to introduce the material and then let the kids rise (or sink) on their own. The kid who complained seemed very bright and articulate and the teacher completely disengaged and unmotivated, but I'd like more context. (As someone who still can't find a full-time teaching job after 5 years with dual certification, I wish more teachers who were burned out would go ahead and retire!)

Posted by: Dback | May 10, 2013 10:36:24 AM

8. Kind of sick of constantly blaming teachers for everything. Yes, there are bad teachers, but there is a lack of respect, both by students and their parents. It's a thankless job, we're supposed to be surprised that some get give up and simply resort to handing out packets?

Posted by: Jesse | May 10, 2013 11:01:41 AM

9. the kid no doubt got into trouble for....what? disturbing the class? using "profanity"?

what's he doing? angrily and passionately demanding an engaged teacher to stand up and EDUCATE and INSPIRE.

where's Edward James Olmos when you need him, eh?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 10, 2013 11:11:43 AM