Anthony Weiner | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anthony Weiner Gets into the NYC Mayoral Race: VIDEO

Weiner

Nearly two years after stepping down from Congress after his sexting scandal, former Rep. Anthony Weiner has launched himself into the NYC mayoral race with a YouTube video.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In a new Quinnipiac poll, 49 percent of voters say he should not run:

The poll, taken before Mr. Weiner’s candidacy was announced by video early Wednesday, found that his possible candidacy was given a thumbs-down by 49 percent of voters, while 38 percent approved. White voters were especially critical, with nearly 2 to 1 saying he should not run. Women were also turned off by the idea, with 52 percent saying he should not run and 35 percent saying he should.

Just a month ago, the same question yielded more-mixed results, with 44 percent of voters disapproving of the general idea and 41 percent approving.

Comments

1. If Mark "I cheated on my wife by disappearing from my elected position as governor, without telling ANYONE, for a week to visit my mistress in Argentina, plus I spent taxpayers money doing so, even though I come off as some sort of family values spokesman" Sanford can make a political comeback, then Anthony Weiner sure can. And didn't Anthony Weiner stay with his wife? Hell, if I lived in NYC, I would vote for him. Good luck to Anthony Weiner.

Posted by: Terry | May 22, 2013 7:15:00 AM

2. Unless he's running against Bill O'Reilly's sister, I don't see him as much more than further embarrassing himself.

Posted by: MIke | May 22, 2013 7:27:34 AM

3. Yes, really, who among us has not sent at least one naughty photo of themselves to someone on the ol' intertubes? (Well, I know most of us were not married members of Congress at the time, but still...) :-)

Posted by: AngelaChanning | May 22, 2013 7:34:17 AM

4. Republicans won't like him, they prefer candidates who don't have sex and don't pay taxes. That video was nicely done. I wonder if he will have a Wiener-mobile?

Posted by: Channeling Angela | May 22, 2013 7:42:19 AM

5. Id vote for him - If I lived in NY

Posted by: disgusted american | May 22, 2013 7:43:23 AM

6. What a clown. Bread and circuses!

Posted by: joe | May 22, 2013 7:49:37 AM

7. He has a great-looking penis, I'd vote for him just for that!

Posted by: RJP | May 22, 2013 8:06:18 AM

8. Vote for Quinn!

Posted by: Mike | May 22, 2013 8:33:44 AM

9. @Terry -- I do tend to agree with you but with Weiner as your last name, it's kind of hard [no pun intended] for people to forget what you did.

Posted by: Gigi | May 22, 2013 8:36:04 AM

10. I do live in NYC and he will get my vote. I don't like that Quinn lady-lesbian, not one tiny bit.

Posted by: Monrocsol | May 22, 2013 8:40:34 AM

11. These guys like Weiner have egos as big as they wish their penis was. Narcissism in full bloom. Just go away and do something else with your life outside the limelight Mr. Weiner.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 22, 2013 10:08:23 AM

12. Weiner embarassed his wife and himself, but he didn't break any laws. But by getting into the mayoral race he just shows what an arrogant attention whore he still is. There are plenty of ways to serve the public without having to be in the spotlight. I wish he'd go away.

Posted by: keating | May 22, 2013 10:40:19 AM

13. I couldn't care less about the sexting, though I do feel sorry for his wife, who is far more impressive than he is.

I won't vote for him in the primary because I found his response to the Islamic downtown community center in my neighborhood to be pandering to the basest of instincts. Leadership is required in moments like that and he failed, instead opting to placate the angry mob.

Posted by: Patric | May 22, 2013 11:21:09 AM

14. It's a shame his first name isn't Oscar. Then he could be Oscar Mayor Weiner!

Seriously, though, I think that after the scandal he shouldn't run for public office anymore. But I'm glad he was able to save his marriage. Say what you will about tweeting those nude photos, but he didn't touch any woman he wasn't married to. And he didn't make a baby with any woman other than his wife. And by the way, baby Jordan is absolutely adorable!

Posted by: Mary | May 22, 2013 11:39:39 AM

15. I live in NYC and will be voting for Anthony Weiner in the primary. He's a good progressive and has the kind of outsized personality an NYC mayor needs. I refuse to vote for Christine Quinn for a long list of reasons, plus I don't think she'd be a very effective mayor.

Posted by: Robert | May 22, 2013 11:41:23 AM

16. He's a pandering, megalomaniac who should just go away.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | May 22, 2013 12:24:18 PM

17. as mayor? we need him in the senate!

Posted by: Anony6 | May 22, 2013 12:29:45 PM

18. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_OIjGKXrkU

my thoughts.

i support him.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 22, 2013 12:34:26 PM

19. I wouldn't vote for him.

What he did was wreckless/stupid given his position, not to mention how hurtful it was to his family. That lack of good judgement is a character trait that should dog him in trying to enter public life.

Next!

Posted by: John B. | May 22, 2013 1:46:15 PM

20. Voter support may start slowly. But this inch by inch approach could swell to impressive size. Hard to say what people might do in the privacy of the voting booth.

Posted by: EB | May 22, 2013 10:50:36 PM