News | Oklahoma | Westboro Baptist Church

BigGayDeal.com

Westboro Baptist Church Offers 'Free Hand Jobs' at NBA Picket in Oklahoma City: PHOTO

Oklahoma_wbc

The Westboro Baptist Church headed to Oklahoma City last night to picket the NBA over Jason Collins' announcement that he is gay. Collins wasn't in Oklahoma but it was the fifth game of the playoffs between the OKC Thunder and the Houston Rockets.

The church was met by a couple of counterprotesters with more colorful signage.

Comments

1. It'll be a cold, frigid, icy, bitter, nippy, bone-chilling day in hell before I even WANT a hand job from any member of that attention-starved cult.

Posted by: KZ | May 2, 2013 10:30:56 AM

2. Any physical contact from those people would probably result in getting a mutated STD.

Posted by: Jack M | May 2, 2013 11:31:17 AM

3. great sign. holders look like fun, charming people.

Posted by: woody | May 2, 2013 11:34:34 AM

4. The Westboro Baptist Church is a cult. These people are not representative of Christians. All sins are to be preached against, not just sodomy and other acts of homosexuality.

Posted by: Jenny | May 2, 2013 12:57:34 PM

5. No thanks. Their evil touch would make my d**k wither and fall off.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | May 2, 2013 1:27:34 PM

6. Jenny, can it. Your 'oh we aren't all like that (but we won't do anything to stop them)' hand-wringing is old, tired, and doesn't convince anyone.

Posted by: Oz in OK | May 2, 2013 2:02:43 PM

7. @Jenny: Same for the Mormons, right? And the Catholics?

Posted by: Bored Again X-Tian | May 2, 2013 2:30:18 PM

8. That sign is probably the best way to respond to the Phelp's mutants.

Posted by: andrew | May 2, 2013 5:14:42 PM

9. Everyone does realize the "Hand Jobs" sign is a counter-protest of the Westboro loonies.

Posted by: Bobby | May 2, 2013 8:27:14 PM

10. What kind of "mission" are people like "Jenny" above (and, by above I mean merely herein and I don't mean up in the sky "heaven") pursuing when they troll gay websites to spout their "God Hates You Lite" version of intolerance? At least these beasts at Westboro can support their hatred with direct Bible quotes. Don't tell me that you, Jenny, are any better than them because you speak with a soft voice of condescension!

Posted by: Tom Cardellino | May 2, 2013 11:43:02 PM

11. @ Jenny :
    I don't give a $hit if they are representative of Christians or not.
    All Christians are against us......the Catholic Catechism expressly calls us "intrinsically defective".
    What more bigoted hate filled speech do you want ?
    Catholics / Christians are haters, period.
    Westboro is just a red-neck version of the same hatred.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 3, 2013 2:58:49 AM

12. I am Catholic. I remain in my church because I want people to know a gay face. I want it to be my face, as I am able and willing to stand up against idiotic behavior that is un-Christian. Jenny actually has it right. They are a cult, and ALL sins are wrong, not just the ones right-wingers think are gross. BUT! I also believe that genuine love is so rare on this planet, it should be celebrated, regardless of the gender components of the lovely couple. Let love live. Let it be. With all the hate in the world, why can't we celebrate love? Isn't that what Jesus would want us to do? Celebrate love? Celebrate our lives together, not fighting apart? Loving thy neighbor, no matter what...that is what being a Christian is all about. I doubt "official" church doctrine would support me at all, but that is my take on it. It's just about love, that's all. Let's be happy while we still can, and celebrate that love, no matter the form. The world would be so much better if we'd only do as Jesus would want us to do...love one another as we love His Father, God. Simple.

Posted by: millerbeach | May 3, 2013 3:35:51 AM

13. I won't belong to any organization which calls me "defective.
    I have a bit more self respect and pride than that.

The Canon Law also excommunicates us for persisting in a grave sin. Gay Catholics may not receive Communion, ....
    The gay church going Catholics still don't believe that's the teaching of their Church, but it is.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 3, 2013 4:09:06 AM

14. If you are speaking to me, Jack, I am following the teachings of Jesus, in the Catholic Church, which is the place I learned about them. You know what? The Pope really doesn't govern me in my daily life...I have much more interaction with my fellow church members, who accept me for who I am, than I do for an old coot a half-world away from me. Canon Law does NOT excommunicate us, and I always take Communion, legally, I might add. No one has ever called me "defective", and if they did, they would be eating with a straw for a few weeks. Do not spread lies about things you do not know. When was the last time you were in a Catholic Church, Jack? Were women allowed on the altar? They are now. Were laypeople giving out Communion? They are now. Do you seriously think people in my church don't know I'm gay? I don't wear a tiara to Mass, but even the dimmest bulb should be able to figure it out by now, as I have been attending the same church for eleven years now. Just like you shouldn't paint every gay man with the same brush, don't do it to the Catholics. There is more acceptance there than you could ever imagine. I know...I live it.

Posted by: millerbeach | May 3, 2013 5:47:15 AM