Canada | Crime | Gay Youth | News

BigGayDeal.com

Young Gay Boy Beaten In Hate Crime Attack

Earlier this month, a gay 13-year-old boy was attacked by four teens who shouted "faggot" and "queer" as they pummeled him on the ground and threatened his life. The assault left the Canadian child with injuries on the left side of his body - mainly on his ribs, the kidney area and his arm.

The Chatham Daily News reports on the incident and the anonymous young teen, who, for the sake of this article, goes by the name "David."

1297418146380_ORIGINAL“They were calling me names like 'faggot' and 'queer' and they were telling me that I should go to hell,” said David. “I tried to ignore them and I tried to go to the other side of the street, but then one kid pushed me back.”

He lost his balance and when he hit the ground the youths began to kick him, continuing their verbal onslaught. David curled up and did his best to protect his head from the blows, trying to figure how to get away.

“I was in a ball and sort of in shock,” he said. “I was thinking 'Wow, this really hurts.' It felt really long, but it probably only lasted 15 seconds-ish.” Even when the kicking stopped, the threats didn't.

“The leader of the group, he turned around pulled out a pocket knife,” David said. “(He) flipped it up and said 'If you tell anyone, then you're going to die.' And then he ran away.”

It appears as if David is surrounded by very supportive parents. Said the boy's father to his son:

“Thank God you're different because I wouldn't want you to be like those idiots,” he said. “I'm glad you are who you are. At least you're brave enough to be a real person.”

The Chatham-Kent Police are reportedly actively investigating this assault as a hate crime.

Comments

1. "four teens" (article estimates 14-16) Unfortunately, as they are minors, the authorities will probably cover up the identities of all of them.

A hate crime is usually a threat to an entire group of people, by attacking an individual. The public's (and in particular LGBT youths') right to know who these people are should not be waived just because one or all of them are young.

These kids have parents too, and they should not be able to avoid scrutiny. Who raises teens who think it's OK to beat up a Grade 8, for any reason? Even the most reckless and violent kids I went to school with would have considered this too shameful.

Posted by: Randy | May 19, 2013 5:59:19 AM

2. ***GASP***
    But I thought young people were a-ok with people being gay. Isn't that the way it's always spun in the media. That only older people are homophobic and that so-called "millennials" are uber-tolerant and accepting of the homosexual lifestyle. Oh well. Clearly there's a backlash brewing and not everyone involved was born before 1980.

Posted by: EnRanc | May 19, 2013 7:26:34 AM

3. Another "score" for the christians.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | May 19, 2013 7:55:46 AM

4. Horrible.
    He has parents, who are showing what parental love really menas. Watch and learn tea baggers.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 19, 2013 8:00:24 AM

5. LOL this happened in CANADA? So much for lame ass Canuck grandstanding or the governments poor attempt to sweep animosity under the rug to give the "illusion" of clean for outsiders. A shame, though. I don't endorse anyone being beat up.

Posted by: Krajci | May 19, 2013 8:08:45 AM

6. Lucky to be alive. I send all the love in the world to him. What a great dad. xo

Posted by: David C. | May 19, 2013 8:15:21 AM

7. "At least you're brave enough to be a real person." I'm saving that one.

Posted by: Yeek | May 19, 2013 8:33:03 AM

8. This attack happened in liberal Canada. A liberal committed this crime.

Posted by: Adam | May 19, 2013 8:43:57 AM

9. Yet another lesson for the online Gay clique that all but mandates the label "queer" as an uncalled-for "umbrella term" for LGBT humanity. And yet another lesson they will refuse to learn. My Dad used to say: "A hard head results in a sore ass." And sometimes, retarded progress on the human rights front, too! Everybody and anybody who insists on calling gender-neutral folk "queers" is an accessory to hate crimes!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 19, 2013 8:53:00 AM

10. D@mn. The troll are out in force today! If these responses to a 13 year old boy being beaten up for being gay aren't a clue that this site needs MODERATION of the comments section, I don't know what is. HEY ANDY, WAKE THE FVCK UP! Your readers are getting really sick of this sh*t.

Has anyone EVER said that *all* kids under a certain age are accepting of gays? No, so S.T.F.U. And if "liberals" are so prejudiced (and presumably conservatives are so great) then why is it that gays only have rights in more liberal areas and have none where conservatives are in power? In fact you these crimes happening in more liberal areas of the world are conservatives lashing out before they are LOSING the fight to oppress gays. The comments here are just another expression of the same backlash. That, or just a bunch of sad bast@rds and internet "tough guys" hiding behind a screen, wanting attention any way they can get it.

This is a terrible thing that happened to this young man, something that will affect him for years to come if not for the rest of his life.

Posted by: Caliban | May 19, 2013 9:35:07 AM

11. Do you have proof Adam?????

Posted by: Tom | May 19, 2013 9:45:41 AM

12. Adam is clearly an idiot. As a Canadian, living under a Conservative government (groan) in a province that just elected another conservatively oriented government that goes by the name "BC Liberal", I can assure you that not all Canadians are "liberal" . Even so, by and large, we have a sense of social value that completely transcends the individualistic schtick that gives our neighbours both their greatest and their most deplorable aspects. As with all people, our greatests strengths can be our greatest weakness.

That siad, I do feel ashamed that this happened in Canada...we are so much better as a people...but no land is without ignorant, scared fools who weild power to hide.

Posted by: JoelD | May 19, 2013 10:06:18 AM

13. Adam is clearly an idiot. As a Canadian, living under a Conservative government (groan) in a province that just elected another conservatively oriented government that goes by the name "BC Liberal", I can assure you that not all Canadians are "liberal" . Even so, by and large, we have a sense of social value that completely transcends the individualistic schtick that gives our neighbours both their greatest and their most deplorable aspects. As with all people, our greatests strengths can be our greatest weakness.

Posted by: JoelD | May 19, 2013 10:06:19 AM

14. Face it Adam, et trolls: Your God has failed your prays again. You pray and pray for your God to strike violence and death on all of us LGBT (That's right smash-mouths, T's ARE part of us, whether that fits into your 'sow dissent for Jesus' campaign or not).

You beg your GOD for hurricanes. You beg your GOD for plagues, You beg your GOD for death to LGBTs world-wide. And what do you get?

Deafening Silence from your GOD. Nothing. NOTHING.

So what do you do? You Maim and Kill for your GOD. You encourage others to Maim and Kill for your GOD. Because HE won't. And If he won't do it, You will. Because YOU know MORE than GOD. Heck, YOU SHOULD BE GOD. All of you.

But you know what that means? That we LGBT keep advancing and your GOD keeps refusing to intervene.

It means Your GOD is either Dead or Gay, and YOU are now nothing more than a bunch of criminals.

Prison awaits. The sooner, the better, EH?

Posted by: Bill Devue | May 19, 2013 10:08:33 AM

15. This will never make it to PinkNews because these incidents happen ONLY in the US, as Pink hangers-on routinely point out in their shrill little voices. In their tiresome reasoning, these beatings are due to the character of the whole nation, its politics and all its people. Thank God Canada has no nukes.

Posted by: Soren456 | May 19, 2013 10:33:57 AM

16. "sow dissent for Jesus"

Must-not-make-MaggieGallagher-fat-joke.

Ah, crap.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | May 19, 2013 10:37:36 AM

17. Jail the parents of the teens, that kind of hate did not come from the sky

Posted by: MArk | May 19, 2013 10:45:26 AM

18. David is correct, it will make him stronger. And no, I'm not advocating jumping and beating people up to make them stronger.

I was jumped at least a dozen times growing up in various inner city neighborhoods. Usually they were simple robberies. But although I've never been jumped for being gay, I have been jumped for being white. So I do know what a 'hate' crime is like from personal experience.

Stuff like this happens more often than some people realize. They mostly go unreported. Many people are embarrassed, afraid of repercussion if they must live in the same community, neighborhood, school as their attacker[s], believe police and authorities will do nothing, and a lot of boys [tweens, teens and young men] don't want to appear soft, so they don't tell anyone what's going on and don't like talking about things that have happened.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 19, 2013 11:00:25 AM

19. @ratbastard

You were probably jumped for being you; the loathsome d!ck that you are. My guess is that there's a line of people who wanna beat you up...not for being gay, not for being white...but because you're annoying as hell and have the personality of a turd.

Posted by: Avi | May 19, 2013 11:43:26 AM

20. @ratbastard

Posted by: Avi | May 19, 2013 11:43:26 AM

==================

@Avi,

I said nothing offensive. You're post is way over the top. You don't know me. You sound like you're the one with 'issues' not me.

I'm amazed by the online hate spread by people who probably think of themselves as being 'progressive' and loving. These are the same people who talk endlessly about other people being 'mean spirited' and 'haters'. Project much, Avi?

And I was a skinny boy and teenager,Avi. One of my curses growing up was I was too boyish looking and skinny. In some environments, Avi, this is not a good thing. People judge you by your physical looks. I am also white, Avi, and there was A LOT of 'hate' among some people in the hoods I grew up in for white people. Just a simple fact of life,Avi. Again, I don't understand why people who refer to themselves as 'progressive' absolutely refuse to acknowledge what I wrote is true and accurate. It would never be tolerated if it happened to the children of tenured professors, corporate executives, and powerful politicians, and wealthy celebrities.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 19, 2013 11:54:17 AM

21. In this sea of hatred, the beacon is that this young 13 year old gay boy has a father that loves him, supports him, and stands with him.

The violence against the kid is ugly as heck - and yet.... we have a story of an openly-gay 13 year old. Out at 13. With parents who embrace him and support him.

That quote from his father is brilliant. Perfect. True.

Yes, brave enough to be a real person - an openly gay teen. And proud of his son for embracing what it is that makes him "different" from others.

More parents like this, please.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 19, 2013 12:12:31 PM

22. It's not hard to figure out what happened seeing "you're going to hell" was uttered. These four teens are being taught you'll go to hell for being gay and they're fighting they're own same-sex desires and decide to beat a someone, who has the courage to be true to himself, in order to prove how much they hate their own homosexuality.

Posted by: Michael | May 19, 2013 12:19:24 PM

23. Well, here comes the generationalist/nationalist pissing contest...

Posted by: J.J. in the Navy | May 19, 2013 12:55:58 PM

24. This kid has awesome parents.

Posted by: leprechaunvict | May 19, 2013 12:56:51 PM

25. Kiwi, maybe you should consider doing something positive with your time, like helping kids like this in Canada. Although you claim to be a proud "queer," you seem to spend your time promoting yourself and posting comments here. I say this based on your blog and your videos. I have yet to see a shred of evidence that you ever lift a finger to help anyone in Canada like this kid. This is especially egregious since you come from a wealthy family. Why not ask your father to donate some money to an anti-bullying or anti-violence organization? Do something.

Posted by: Fritz | May 19, 2013 4:25:46 PM