Billy Porter | Kinky Boots | News | Religion | Video

Billy Porter Of 'Kinky Boots' Gets Real About Drag, Religion, And Prejudice: VIDEO

Billy porter

Billy Porter, who recently won the Tony Award for Best Leading Actor in a Musical for "Kinky Boots," appeared on "Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell" on FX to discuss the show, his role as drag queen Lola, and his religious roots. Porter's performance in the Harvey Fierstein/Cyndi Lauper musical proved his dancing, singing, and acting chops, but his discussion with Bell reveals his active political stance and his position at the crux of various civil rights battles.

Find out Porter's response to the hot button question, "What's harder: being black, or being gay?" AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. After seeing his riveting, spectacular performance in the show, I started looking up everything I could find on this man. Imagine my shock to learn that he is as remarkable and admirable offstage as on. Integrity for days, articulate as all get-out, cute as a button, and grace. So much grace.

I love you, Billy Porter.

Posted by: rascal | Jun 24, 2013 4:11:15 PM

2. Odd, I saw the show and kept waiting for him to sing out. Never happened.

Posted by: Truthiness | Jun 24, 2013 4:32:52 PM

3. Wow. I wish I had Billy Porter's butt. I mean, I wish I had a butt like Billy Porter's (I don't lie about my sexual positions).

Then again, why should a perky young butt be on some old...so'n'so. Perky butts are for the young folks.

Yes, it's melancholy Monday....full full full of self-pity. But I'll be all right in few few hours--when I get home I still have some left in the bottle.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 24, 2013 4:49:52 PM

4. Jason Collins = One step forward.

Billy Porter = One step back.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Jun 24, 2013 5:21:17 PM

5. Billy Porter looks like a camp tragic.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 24, 2013 6:56:13 PM

6. What are you talking about?????????

Billy Porter - Two step forward.

This is our history everyone is a part of it.

Posted by: jcmiles | Jun 24, 2013 7:15:49 PM

7. Black is harder. Literally and figuratively.

Posted by: FakeOutrage | Jun 24, 2013 8:06:14 PM

8. He is helping the Black Community to change and be more open. We all have a responsability to change the world and our communities! Great Great interview and Kinky Boots is AWESOME!

Posted by: Josh | Jun 24, 2013 8:12:10 PM

9. Jason Collins and Billy Porter = 10 steps forward. 5 steps each.

Posted by: Jersey | Jun 24, 2013 8:12:12 PM

10. Bill Purdue and Jason = the same person? Wouldn't be surprised.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 24, 2013 8:22:03 PM

11. Billy Porter is a good performer in the camp sense.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 24, 2013 8:23:46 PM

12. Bill Perdue, can you pronounce internalized homophobia? Show some love for your people.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 24, 2013 8:24:24 PM

13. Great piece. Great guys.

Posted by: DavidR | Jun 25, 2013 1:04:53 AM

14. @ Jose carrabbas Tu Quiero Taco Bell Feliciano

That word is inexcusable and you could have easily made your point to that ignorant poster, without the need to stoop to their level. Like it or not, the word f-g carries a weight for many of us who aren't racist at all, and don't deserve to hear it. Call that ignorant prick and ignorant prick without trivializing the lives of the many wonderful LGBT humans who were killed with that word used. Thanks

Posted by: Junior | Jun 25, 2013 5:40:07 AM

15. Jose,
    Devolving to the same ignorant language as the ignorant language you are attempting to correct makes you no better. I agree with Junior. You drop the F bomb at anyone and instantly your own argument gets viewed lesser than.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Jun 25, 2013 5:41:30 AM

16. @ Jose carrabbas Tu Quiero Taco Bell Feliciano

You're a racist homophobic bigot just like a klansman

Trolls like you are ruining the Towleroad comment section

Posted by: 1♥ | Jun 25, 2013 7:32:06 AM