Comments

1. Randy says

I enjoy the comment threads on gay blogs. Here, it’s bitter, catty, ghetto losers. At JMG it’s leftist bitter catty ghetto losers.

No fan of EJ, but it’s fun to read the comments of people who earn less in a year than he spends on fresh flowers in a month.

2. jason says

Elton’s voice isn’t what it used to be – that’s all I can say about his music.

As for his gay rights involvement, I think he’s rather selfish. It seems to be all about him. Remember when he sang with Eminem despite the latter’s known use of homophobic slurs? Go away, Reginald.

3. Wilberforce says

He’s back to doing what he does best: writing beautiful rock ballads. He’ll probably never match some of the things he’s done, like Daniel, and Old Man’s Shoes, and plenty of others. But it’ll be interesting to hear this new effort.

4. CDMatthew says

Thank you, Wilberforce, for writing one of the only resepctful, non-bitchy comments on here about Elton John and his forthcoming album. Nothing breeds contempt like success, and many of the comments on here smack of a pathetic, joyless kind of mockery that’s ugly and underserved by this great musician. (And quite a strain of ageism here, too.) Yes, Elton does not sing as he did in his 20’s, and I’m not hopeful that “The Diving Board” will be the equal of the “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” or “Honky Chateau” albums. But for God’s sake, give the man some credit for the tremendous outpouring of great music that he’s penned and performed over the years, whether it be his pop albums or his stage musicals. He’s a unique and prolific talent (as well as a complex and often difficult personality), and I’m glad to hear he’s going back to his roots and working on a new CD. His “Songs from the West Coast” back in 2001 was driven by a similar motivation, and it’s a very solid, enjoyable album. I can’t wait to hear the new one in September. Y’all can go back to your catty, lacerating attacks of Elton now, if you wish.

5. CDMatthew says

6. Bucky says

For the 8th millionth time for people like Henry Holland, it doesn’t effing matter if he gave the money he made from Rush’s wedding to HIS charity. His very presence/performance at the wedding transferred some semblence of credibility to El Rushbo.

Uncle Tom much?

Sorry that Elton is so pathetic that he needs to sing for his supper at the tables of horrible homophobes.

But just because he is pathetic, Henry Holland, doesn’t mean the rest of us should be. Except for you, of course.

So sad and so tragic. And I’m talking about you, Henry Holland.

Nothing worse than a self-loathing gay man.

7. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED Elton John, Melissa Etheridge AND Indigo Girls ARE THE ONLY WELL-KNOWN HOMOSEXUAL MUSICIANS WHO HAVE GREAT MUSIC. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND SOME OF YOU Towleroaders WHO RIDICULE Mr. John.

AND, I LIKE, “Philadelphia Freedom.”

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

8. Mike says

Elton is a demigod. Haters be damned. He does need to go back to go forward. His work with Leon Russell has hints of the inspiration Russell provided for some of Elton’s barrelhouse piano styles from. It’s not the voice of the past hits I yearn for, but the deeper, growling lower-range bluesy voice of non-hit album tracks like “Stinker” “Slave” “Hercules” and “MidnightCreeper” that I’d love to hear. Having seen him in person recently, I know that he can rip it up in those styles and ranges. Keep on keepin’ on, Reg. Get back to the blues and show the world it ain’t over yet.