Harvey Fierstein Unleashes on Bigots, Celebrates Birthday with Thomas Roberts: VIDEO

H_fierstein

Harvey Fierstein stopped by MSNBC to talk about his Tony-nominated musical Kinky Boots with Thomas Roberts, blasting anti-gay religious bigots and celebrating his birthday as well.

Said Fierstein:

"Can you imagine if I was on a school board and I came in and I said, 'you know, I don't want any Jews or Christians teaching my kids, because they believe in people living inside whales, and they believe in slavery, and stoning women who have had an affair, so I just don't want any of those Christians or Jews'. Can you imagine? But they feel just absolutely free to say that about gay people."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Fierstein

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. bless you Harvey!

God, i love this man.

"You want to be a part of my life, I'm not editing out the parts you don't like. There's one more thing you better understand. I have taught myself to sew, cook, fix plumbing, build furniture - I can even pat myself on the back when necessary - all so I don't have to ask anyone for anything."
    - Torch Song Trilogy

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 6, 2013 1:16:06 PM

2. I loved it. Happy Birthday, Harvey. :)

Posted by: Ty | Jun 6, 2013 1:18:05 PM

3. contd....

"There's nothing I need from anyone except for love and respect and anyone who can't give me those two things has no place in my life."

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 6, 2013 1:21:01 PM

4. i think getting kissed by TR was his wish.

Posted by: Cd in DC | Jun 6, 2013 1:29:05 PM

5. Happy Birthday Harvey!

Posted by: greenfuzz | Jun 6, 2013 1:29:24 PM

6. what a way to give a gift, and on your own birthday! if there were only more voices like his on the news every day.

happy bd, harvey, stay true.

Posted by: northalabama | Jun 6, 2013 1:37:05 PM

7. At the very end of Mrs. Doubtfire, Robin Williams gives a speech about all types of families, and it clearly fails to list two mommies and two daddies. Harvey was part of the production, and I have never understood why he permitted that to have occurred, and to my knowledge no one has ever asked him. It's a fun movie, and he's funny in it, but that glaring omission has always bothered me.

Posted by: DC Insider | Jun 6, 2013 1:49:39 PM

8. Harvey's been reading Towleroad.

Happy Birthday Harvey!

Posted by: JONES | Jun 6, 2013 1:52:34 PM

9. OMG! Love him! Happy Birthday Harvey Fierstein!

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 6, 2013 2:06:15 PM

10. Love ya, Harvey, happy birthday!

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 6, 2013 2:07:05 PM

11. you mean this speech, which closes the film:

"Mrs. Doubtfire: [reading a letter] "Dear Mrs. Doubtfire, two months ago, my mom and dad decided to separate. Now they live in different houses. My brother Andrew says that we aren't to be a family anymore. Is this true? Did I lose my family? Is there anything I can do to get my parents back together? Sincerely, Katie McCormick." Oh, my dear Katie. You know, some parents, when they're angry, they get along much better when they don't live together. They don't fight all the time, and they can become better people, and much better mummies and daddies for you. And sometimes they get back together. And sometimes they don't, dear. And if they don't, don't blame yourself. Just because they don't love each other anymore, doesn't mean that they don't love you. There are all sorts of different families, Katie. Some families have one mommy, some families have one daddy, or two families. And some children live with their uncle or aunt. Some live with their grandparents, and some children live with foster parents. And some live in separate homes, in separate neighborhoods, in different areas of the country - and they may not see each other for days, or weeks, months... even years at a time. But if there's love, dear... those are the ties that bind, and you'll have a family in your heart, forever. All my love to you, poppet, you're going to be all right... bye-bye."

i can see how someone could be upset by there being no mention of "two daddies or two mommies" in there, but i'm personally not too bothered by it.

for what it's worth - supporting actors and non-leads (ie, Name Above Title) tend to have no actual influence on scripts or final cut.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 6, 2013 2:07:27 PM

12. It's amazing to think of Harvey's rise from the fringes of Off-Off Broadway to the Big Time.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 6, 2013 2:09:39 PM

13. Harvey's one of the cherished that we'd prefer to keep hidden, for fear of confirming that the gay of straight imagination really exists.

Posted by: B-Day | Jun 6, 2013 3:07:21 PM

14. Ha, I remember him in "Cheers" also as Rebecca's old flame who was gay according to Beccs just because he was never with a real woman. His reaction was priceless.

Posted by: MIke | Jun 6, 2013 3:08:10 PM

15. Happy Birthday Harvey! You're one of my heroes for your work on and off the stage.

Posted by: DavidR | Jun 6, 2013 3:10:40 PM

16. I adore Harvey in everything he does, and Torch Song Trilogy will always be one of my favorite movies of all time (hell- to this day I can probably quote half the movie's script).

Happy birthday Harvey, and many more! Love you!

Posted by: sparks | Jun 6, 2013 3:12:59 PM

17. Thank you, Harvey and Thomas.

Posted by: Richard | Jun 6, 2013 5:40:09 PM

18. Fierstein for President 2016!

Posted by: Queer Supremacist | Jun 6, 2013 7:13:10 PM

19. It is nice to see two gay men, practically a generation apart (Harvey 61, Thomas, 40) have such a nice chat on TV. I know it happens in real life but sometimes it doesn't. Gay men in their 60s or older are sometimes invisible. We all know if it weren't for men like Harvey, people like me (pushing 50) would have had a much rougher time coming of age. Thank you for listening.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Jun 6, 2013 7:58:18 PM

20. It's not that I really needed proof, but Lord did I shiver at how the world had changed when Thomas Roberts kissed Harvey Fierstein on daytime basic cable.

Posted by: Mort | Jun 6, 2013 9:53:58 PM

21. I once took an RSVP cruise through the Alaskan inland waterway and Harvey was one of the onboard entertainers. His dinner seating was next to my table. He was so easy to get along with. He mingled with the passengers, and was a true delight to know. Always a class act!
    Thank you Harvey, I have always remembered with fondness having met you!

Posted by: John | Jun 7, 2013 2:27:49 AM

22. Feierstein is a treasure.

Thomas Roberts is hot.

Posted by: Continuum | Jun 7, 2013 4:06:47 PM

23. Happy Birthday, Harvey. You are a really wonderful man, as charming and as gracious as you are here with Thomas Roberts. You've been a hero in every sense of the word to the LGBTQ community--a fierce advocate, never, ever afraid to speak up loudly whenever our enemies try to harm us. Thank you for everything. And I am so happy that "Kinky Boots" is a hit! Congratulations!

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 9, 2013 11:49:05 AM