Gay Man Becomes Acting Secretary of the U.S. Air Force

Air Force Secretary Michael Donley retired as Air Force Secretary on Friday, and because Obama has not yet named a replacement, Under Secretary Eric Fanning, a gay man, is currently in charge, the Air Force Times reports:

FanningFanning previously served as deputy under secretary of the Navy and deputy director of the Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism before becoming under secretary of the Air Force on April 29.

...

Fanning, who is openly gay, takes over at the Air Force just as the Supreme Court is set to rule on the Defense of Marriage Act, which blocks same-sex couples from receiving the same benefits as heterosexual couples. He told the Washington Blade in a recent interview that he hopes the Defense Department will adopt a non-discrimination policy to protect gay and lesbian service members.

“Speaking personally, I always think it’s important to have non-discrimination policies codified to include everyone,” Fanning said in the interview. “The military, because it has a chain of command, has a different attitude about this and a different way to try to go about protecting airmen, sailors, soldiers, Marines — but Eric Fanning? Yes. I personally like to see these things in writing and codified.”

Comments

1. Awesome news, too bad this doesn't seem permanent though, but great Mr. Fanning is in this position at all, what a major accomplishment.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 22, 2013 10:07:45 PM

2. I'm the gay son of a career USAF officer. My dad always has said the USAF was the gayest of all the American military services. I'm glad to see an out gay man in a visible position like this.

That said, I also look forward to the day when the person's orientation is so non-noteworthy that its not even brought up.

Posted by: Michael D | Jun 22, 2013 10:14:00 PM

3. Still more window dressing Mr President?

WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR THE SMALLEST AMONG US?

Posted by: Marc C | Jun 22, 2013 10:44:00 PM

4. What is going on? All these important people, these official looking gay men gaining prestigious positions? Some are going to make some high drama, the ambassador falls in love with his native right hand man. Oof, and its the President's son!
    I can hardly wait.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 22, 2013 11:43:20 PM

5. And somebody's dad says the USAF is the gayest place of all. This makes me jump up laughing. These positions, these men...it's SO effing CUTE!, I can't stop being staggered.

At the end of it Obama is going to say, "Yes, I'm gay myself" and America is going to come apart at the seams four times bigger than Clinton's sinning caused. Growth is hard.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 22, 2013 11:52:11 PM

6. Good. Tha army in US is finally opening up.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 23, 2013 2:11:13 AM

7. Andy Towle,

I DO NOT THINK IT IS A GOOD IDEA FOR YOU TO KEEP PUBLISHING ARTICLES ABOUT "OUT" HOMOSEXUALS THE KENYAN HAS PLACED/NOMINATED FOR PUBLIC OFFICE. [Some conservatives may not know these individuals are homosexual]. Mr. Towle, SUCH PUBLICATIONS WILL REMIND CONSERVATIVES OF THE KENYAN'S CHICAGO-"Man's Country-" SIGHTINGS AND HIS ALLEDGED TRYSTS WITH Rahm Emanuel.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 23, 2013 4:24:13 AM

8. Chair Force is the gayest? Well... I guess this isn't the place to make snide comments about which branch is traditionally considered the softest.

Congratulations to all the new ambassadors. Let's see some color, though.

Posted by: Zeta | Jun 23, 2013 6:24:00 AM

9. Zeta--"gayest" doest NOT mean "softest."

your comment is disgusting.

If you had seen the things I saw during the worst of the AIDS epidemic in the 80s, you would be ashamed of yourself.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jun 23, 2013 7:01:45 AM

10. @DannyEastVillage, gay is not currently synonymous with 'manliest of manly' -- buff bears notwithstanding. I think calling the Marines (who are stereotyped as the most manly of US servicemen) the gayest of all military branches requires a doubletake, and a re-examining of current US stereotypes of what it means to be 'gay'.

Not so with the Air Force. The (ch)Air Force is not stereotypically the most manly; they're stereotypically flamboyant, exotic, arrogant, and proud.

Someone trying to steal valor is more likely to claim ex-Marine than ex-Air Force. Marine means seeing things no one should have to see, and surviving. Face to face, up close, personally, mano a mano. Air Force means there's a buffer.

Or, in classical terms: Marines are Ajax, the fearless combatant. Air Force is Paris, the pussy archer.

Posted by: Zeta | Jun 23, 2013 9:01:51 AM

11. Slightly off topic (but a distraction from the inane mine-is-bigger argument that has begun)--Does anyone know how successful the efforts to clean up the Air Force Academy have been? It had been almost taken over by evangelical fundies.

Posted by: Akrontru | Jun 23, 2013 9:30:32 AM

12. I have never read such inane, insane, sexist and idiotic comments. It hurts my little brain cells

Posted by: acd | Jun 23, 2013 12:10:09 PM

13. My gay uncle was in the Army Air Corps and then the Air Force when it split-off from the Army in 1947, though I've always heard the Navy was the gayest branch of service.

I've known a couple of Marines (alas, not a Marine couple, but two individual Marines) and both of them said the Marine Corps is the most bisexual branch the service because Marines just want to f*** something and being bi doubles their chances.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jun 23, 2013 12:19:44 PM

14. @Christopher ...: Why is the Kenyan not in quotes? Are you a birther???

Posted by: andrew | Jun 23, 2013 1:22:53 PM

15. @Marc C: It must be difficult to be gay and anti Obama. To think, as you do, that having a gay man as the civilian head of the USAF is "window dressing" shows us all how twisted is your Obama hate.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 23, 2013 1:34:15 PM

16. Christopher- The Kenyan didn't appoint him, he is filling in temporarily, did you read the article?? You sound like a crazy person, try Welbutrin.

Posted by: ty | Jun 23, 2013 7:07:23 PM

17. "andrew,"

YES - I AM A "Birther." Stanley Ann Dunham HAD SEX WITH AT LEAST, ONE NEGRO MALE IN 1960. SINCE NEGROES [EVEN, ARMED FORCES MEMBERS] WERE RARE IN HAWA'II IN 1960, IT MAKES MORE SENSE Ms. Dunham HAD SEX WITH A NEGRO MALE OFF AMERICAN SOIL.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 23, 2013 10:08:36 PM

18. "andrew," I ALSO SHOULD HAVE TYPED THE BIRTH OCCURED OFF AMERICAN SOIL. I BELIEVE Ms. Dunham PLAYED "Jane" TO A NEGRO MALE'S "Tarzan," WHILE ON AFRICAN SAFARI.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 23, 2013 10:12:36 PM

19. "ty" - WHEN I TYPE, I HAVE NO NEED TO BE SPECIFIC ABOUT EVERYTHING. YOU MISSED MY POINT BY FOCUSING ON THE MUNDANE.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 23, 2013 10:15:36 PM

20. @Christopher Allen Horton, Ms. Dunham was an American citizen born of American citizens who gave birth on American soil. She was not an anchor baby, and her parents weren't anchor babies. It wouldn't have mattered if her semen donor were from Alpha Centauri, her children are American citizens.

The birther argument is a dead end. Why clutch it?

Posted by: Zeta | Jun 24, 2013 9:39:08 AM

21. Oh my, this is going to be entertaining. CHRISTOPHER ALLENHORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON [sic], do please post frequently. We can all use some comic relief on a Monday morning.

Posted by: DW | Jun 24, 2013 12:57:25 PM

22. "Zeta,"

YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO READ. YOU LIED ABOUT WHAT I TYPED. Stanley Ann Dunham WAS BORN IN KANSAS. Barack Hussein Obama WAS NOT BORN ON AMERICAN SOIL. "Zeta," I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE YOU CAN PLAY FOR A FOOL!

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 24, 2013 2:25:34 PM

23. SINCE Y'ALL LIKE TO Google MY NAME, Google MY NAME IN CONNECTION TO Ricin letters. TWO OF THOSE LETTERS WERE POSTMARKED IN MEMPHIS. Y'ALL LIKE THE KENYAN; I DO NOT.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 24, 2013 2:30:20 PM