Cyndi Lauper | Music | Music Video | News

Cyndi Lauper Gets Surprise Music Video for 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' Anniversary: VIDEO

Rosie

The cast and producers of Broadway's Kinky Boots unleashed a surprise on Cyndi Lauper to celebrate the 30th anniversary of her chart-topping hit "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by enlisting the cast and crew along with friends like Mika Brzezinski, Katie Couric, Lilla Crawford, Paige Davis, Christina DeCicco, Rebecca Faulkenberry, Kathie Lee Gifford, Whoopi Goldberg, Samantha Hill, Hoda Kotb, Countess LuAnn de Lesseps, and other Broadway notables in a video lip dub of the track.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Said Lauper to People: ""It's so sweet, I'm crying. The Kinky Boots cast is so funny, and all the other shows participating is the sweetest thing I've ever seen."

WhoopiC

Comments

1. "Countess LuAnn de Lesseps, and other Broadway notables" LOL

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jun 3, 2013 1:38:25 PM

2. I thought a "video lip dub" was specifically one camera take, no cuts. That would be more fun (and harder to pull off). This seems to just be an ad for Kinky Boots. Still, it's a great song.

Posted by: downtownla | Jun 3, 2013 1:45:26 PM

3. I thought she said "kidney boots".

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 3, 2013 2:24:06 PM

4. That was a visual treat! Congrats to the casts and to Ms. Lauper (the best!)!

Posted by: TonyJazz | Jun 3, 2013 3:44:13 PM

5. 30 years of creating quality music and standing up for the gay community. Thanks Cyndi!

Posted by: Thomas | Jun 3, 2013 4:13:25 PM

6. I want those boots...

Posted by: Will | Jun 3, 2013 4:50:22 PM

7. sweet!

Oh, Ms. Lauper. you continue to Shine. Kinky Boots is AMAZING, btw, and the score is superb.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 3, 2013 5:01:31 PM

8. I think Annie killed it. Rock on lil sista.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 3, 2013 5:43:09 PM

9. I read Lauper's memoir (titled Cyndi Lauper: a memoir); it's a fun read. Sounds like it was dictated more than written, but that's only a drawback if you get tired of her nattering on.

Lauper devotes a chapter to the making of the Girls video. So I edited the chapter for my blog. Example: [0:44] "I wanted the kitchen to be very fifties. We couldn't really afford wallpaper - it was really a low-budget shoot - so I brought in a tablecloth from Screaming Mimi's that had a pattern I liked, and the art director ... painted the walls like that."

Posted by: Glenn I | Jun 3, 2013 6:31:14 PM

10. Congrats Cyndi!!! WE LOVE YOU!!! A true legend and a great friend of out Community!! Much respect for her tireless work for Equality!! YOu are One of a kind Ms Cyn!!!! Kinky Boots ROCKS!

Posted by: Josh | Jun 3, 2013 8:42:45 PM

11. Cyndi Lauper, no one can top her. And what a song, what a song...It never stops rockin. A wonderful tribute by girls having fun - even Katie Couric, am I right? Unfrozen.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 3, 2013 11:27:25 PM