Jonathan Allen | News | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Man Disowned by Parents for Being Gay Blows Roof Off 'America's Got Talent': VIDEO

Jonathan_allen

Jonathan Allen, a singer disowned at 18 by his parents because he was gay, took the stage on America's Got Talent last night and received not only a standing ovation, but acceptance.

Said Howie Mandel:

"Your own family disowned you, but with your talent, this show has become your family, and we'd like to say 'welcome home'. We love you. We accept you. And we're so proud that you came here."

Said Howard Stern:

"I don't know if your parents are watching tonight but I would like to say what a wonderful son you have."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Panel

Comments

1. Lawrenceburg, TN
    Population 10k
    90% White
    Located 15 miles from Pulaski, TN(birthplace of the KKK).

I hope someone gives him a job so he can GTF outta that place.

Posted by: neonzx | Jun 12, 2013 10:45:22 AM

2. Lawrenceburg, TN
    Population 10k
    90% White
    Located 15 miles from Pulaski, TN(birthplace of the KKK).

I hope someone gives him a job so he can GTF outta that place.

Posted by: neonzx | Jun 12, 2013 10:45:23 AM

3. Lawrenceburg, TN
    Population 10k
    90% White
    Located 15 miles from Pulaski, TN(birthplace of the KKK).

I hope someone gives him a job so he can GTF outta that place.

Posted by: neonzx | Jun 12, 2013 10:45:23 AM

4. Lawrenceburg, TN
    Population 10k
    90% White
    Located 15 miles from Pulaski, TN(birthplace of the KKK).

I hope someone gives him a job so he can GTF outta that place.

Posted by: neonzx | Jun 12, 2013 10:45:23 AM

5. Zeta, newsflash - that kid's voice is not made for an indie label. He needs the sort of daytime TV commercial promotion that some of the biggest selling artists get (Josh Groban, Michael Buble) because his music would clearly gear towards the older crowds.

Anyway, what a beautiful thing Howard Stern said. The kid's parents will hopefully feel like dirt.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 12, 2013 10:48:31 AM

6. I hope this guy makes it big, so when his parents come crawling back looking to cash in, he tells them to go **** themselves.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jun 12, 2013 11:50:27 AM

7. Now, let's remember all the kids being thrown out of the house who DON'T have amazing voices, but might be phenomenal psychiatrists, business owners, teachers, doctors, inventors, etc. if given the chance. We have to help our youth succeed and take care of our elders.

Posted by: Ronny | Jun 12, 2013 11:56:11 AM

8. I thought the same thing, Ronny. This is a nice story, and the show's embrace of this young man is wonderful, but the message is a little muddled. Everyone is worthy of love and acceptance even if they can't get standing ovations from singing, or tap dancing or juggling.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 12, 2013 12:28:41 PM

9. I saw Mel B's boobies pop out of her shirt once. Live and in person and only about 10' away.

Posted by: me | Jun 12, 2013 12:32:43 PM

10. I'm glad this guy did well.

However, the back story is killing these shows for me. They started off as talent shows, where what you saw was what you got. Then they started the soap opera stuff. "My dad was killed in Iraq, and my mom is a one armed paper hanger, so I'm doing this for them. Please like me. Please vote for me." Enough.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 12, 2013 12:39:25 PM

11. To those of you saying he can't be an out gay man and be a successful recording act I say you are wrong and point to Adam Lambert who is played on pop radio and has had a #1 Billboard pop album. This is 2013, not 1963. "Same Love" about homophobia by white rapper Macklemore is getting airplay on pop radio which I think would have been unheard of 5 years ago. And plenty of out gay actors are doing quite well for themselves like Neil Patrick Harris and Zachary Quinto.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Jun 12, 2013 12:45:07 PM

12. NBC Universal decided we didn't need to see this.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 12, 2013 12:57:43 PM

13. you can still see it on youtube - sorry i forgot to copy the link, but it comes right up, and you just have to watch :05 seconds of a promo for some NBC show, then you see the whole appearance -
    He's surprisingly good, and seems to have had real operatic training, or else he's just got a fantastic ear for it.
    The comments on NBC's site have a couple people who knew him in high school, and they differ about the full veracity of his story. It sounds like his parents were definitely antagonistic toward him (obviously deeply homophobic) but it's not clear that he was thrown out. Its a distinction that only matters because he's stated on the show that he was thrown out.

Posted by: dw | Jun 12, 2013 1:05:37 PM

14. Here's the link:

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jun 12, 2013 1:21:49 PM

15. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpeAnjyeUUQ

Posted by: sparks | Jun 12, 2013 1:22:22 PM

16. my heart just burst at this. WOW.

@Calibab - I hear ya. It's one of those things that seems even more absurd to me with every passing year; parents who get angry and disown their kid for being LGBT. It makes ZERO sense. It shows a complete inability to be a critical thinker on the part of the parent.

Kid is gay. Kid has always been gay. Kid has always known they've been gay. Kid has had to hide that they're gay. Kid finally tells parents that they're gay. Parents freak out about the kid being gay, blame him, direct anger at him, disown him. And it happens all the freakin' time.

And it literally makes as much sense as disowning your child for being "too tall". Why are you mad at your kid? because he's gay. Why is that his fault?

Because you're an idiot and don't know how else to react, you pathetic excuses for parents.

Kudos to this young man. May he inspire other families to radically reevaluate their bonds.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 12, 2013 1:29:19 PM

17. This is still available at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/12/americas-got-talent-jonathan-allen_n_3428914.html

Posted by: Alan | Jun 12, 2013 2:41:58 PM

18. Record contract? Indie label? C'mon, this guy is made for the Met, he needs training so he can improve and then keep that voice until he's 70—odd, I was expecting him to be a tenor when he was speaking, he's more of a baritone. He plays it right, he'll get all the recording contracts he needs. Touching, I wish him the best. And I have a feeling this is only a beginning…

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jun 12, 2013 2:46:22 PM

19. Seriously, why would NBC pull the clip? I mean, you wouldn't want tens of thousands of people who don't watch the show to see a clip that might motivate them to watch the show. That would be infringing of the copyrightz.

Posted by: shawnthesheep | Jun 12, 2013 3:20:49 PM

20. He is amazing and his gift is a blessing.

Posted by: Gast | Jun 12, 2013 5:44:51 PM

21. Nice voice. Last note needed more spin, though.

Posted by: OperaQueen | Jun 12, 2013 6:53:57 PM

22. @David Hearne brings up an excellent point about how the back stories are getting in the way of competition.

@dw, if the comments really are from people who know him personally and are disputing the severity of what he claims... is it possible that he juiced his story for maximum tearjerking/audience sympathy?

I think it matters, especially with people wishing so much ill towards his parents. There's a major difference between 'we don't approve' versus 'we don't know how to deal with you', versus 'get out of this household and don't come back'.

Hopefully, the truth comes out.

Posted by: Zeta | Jun 13, 2013 1:19:45 AM

23. Bravo....
    I'm in tears now. What an amazing man with such a heartbreaking story. Jonathan, we're your family now. Welcome home... to the home who accepts you.

Posted by: Marc | Jun 13, 2013 6:47:35 AM

24. I'm a classically trained church musician and did church music from the time I was 12 till I was 35. About this kid, all I can say is--ohmygod. OHmyGOD. A voice like that just doesn't happen in 20 year olds--and yet there it is. Miracle. AND - as Howie Stern said--he has an ability to connect with his audience. To me that was just as astonishing as the voice. What a gift to all of us.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jun 13, 2013 7:02:18 AM

25. As for his family--as Jesus said, leave the dead to bury the dead: you've got your own work to do!

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jun 13, 2013 7:03:15 AM