I'm Gay | Mexico | News | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Mexican Soap Star Sebastián Ligarde: I'm Gay, I Say This With Pride

Mexican soap star Sebastián Ligarde has come out in Mexico’s TVyNovelas magazine, the HuffPost reports:

LigardeThe 59-year-old Mexican soap star, and famous villain in the telenovela "Quinceañera," told the magazine: “I'm gay and I say this with pride. No gay person should have to walk down the street with stigma stamped on his forehead. Sexual preference is genetic... and if God and my family knows it, then let the world know it.

Ligarde, who has his own acting school in Miami, added “I believe I’m at an age when I can help new values... and to have the courage to accept myself publicly, as Ricky Martin did. He has been an inspiration for me when it comes to talking about this subject.”

Ligarde told the magazine he has been in a relationship for two decades, and once identified as bisexual because "it doubled (his) chances at getting a date on Saturday night."

Comments

1. He's 59. Wow! Congratulations on coming out papi!!

Posted by: Gigi | Jun 4, 2013 9:03:32 AM

2. Handsome man, inside and out.

Congratulations!

Posted by: Strepsi | Jun 4, 2013 9:05:42 AM

3. Feel it feel it feel it whut
    Feel it feel it feel it whut
    Feel it feel it feel it whut

And that's when I didn't even know! We laughed as we walked along the shore.

Posted by: Nina | Jun 4, 2013 9:20:01 AM

4. 59, are you serious? He's gorgeous! Hope his success continues.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 4, 2013 9:20:24 AM

5. Never too late.

Posted by: simon | Jun 4, 2013 9:23:13 AM

6. That photo was a while back, here's a more recent one:

Posted by: johnny | Jun 4, 2013 9:27:20 AM

7. Wow, six comments into a post that mentions Ricky Martin and not a single person screaming about how Ricky is a traitor with blood on his hands because he didn't come out of the closet in vitro?

Is there a troll convention I don't know about?

Posted by: shawnthesheep | Jun 4, 2013 10:16:07 AM

8. 59? Wow! Good for him. Soap are so important in many Middle and Latin American countries.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 4, 2013 10:34:04 AM

9. Congrats! Never too late to live your life as you see fit and be true to who you are.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 4, 2013 10:53:54 AM

10. I knew their was a reason I liked him in telenovelas.............

Posted by: steve | Jun 4, 2013 11:39:44 AM

11. I'm also gay.

There, I feel better.

Posted by: James | Jun 4, 2013 12:10:31 PM

12. I must laugh at the photo Andy and team decided to use. It has to be 30 years old. Kind of reminds me of guys using pictures from long ago as their profile pics on Facebook, Grindr and OkCupid.

Posted by: Sam | Jun 4, 2013 12:13:33 PM

13. Why do Spanish language soaps always seem like silent movie actors who have been dubbed. Seriously, they are so high drama and over the top. Don't Mexicans find it hokey?

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 4, 2013 12:24:15 PM

14. @ shawnthesheep...thought the same thing. Some people we congratulate and others get vitriolic comments about coming out so late in life. I have never once called out any person for taking their time and coming out later in life (Ricky or this guy, or, yes, even Mehlman), but am happy for anyone that finally comes to understand who they really are. Each person is on their own journey in life, some may make serious mistakes, but that isn't to say they can't learn from them and attempt to correct. Happy for him!

Posted by: Barca | Jun 4, 2013 1:54:22 PM

15. Hubba hubba!

Posted by: Andy | Jun 4, 2013 2:37:27 PM

16. lol, johnny, you break that illusion, girl!

i'm all for it.

that's why i love me some dove 'real beauty' ads, esp. that one from many yrs ago where they pulled the curtain back on all the makeup, lighting, and post-production digital alterations that create 'beautiful' celebrity and advertising photos.

Posted by: redball | Jun 4, 2013 4:51:51 PM

17. Congrats. He also said he's been with his boyfriend for 20 years so congrats again.

Posted by: David | Jun 4, 2013 5:59:39 PM

18. @ Barca--the issue with Mehlman isn't that he took his time about coming out, but that he worked so hard against the interests of gay people while he was on the staff of Bush's campaign. You know where Dante would put him?

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jun 4, 2013 6:07:34 PM

19. Happy for him. Never late than never. More over coming from a country that is still quite homophobic (even among atheist I’ve speaking to), though it is slowing changing.
    Just a thingy: being gay is NOT a choice (sexuality either) and is NOT genetic, never will find any gay gene, that is gonna be troubling in the future if the myth gain strength, because science won’t find anything. We are equals, with different sexuality wired very early on in infancy for reasons we can not determine.

Posted by: SayTheTruth | Jun 4, 2013 7:14:07 PM

20. Good for him, he is a great role model. @ say the truth, Thanks for splitting hairs!

Posted by: ty | Jun 4, 2013 8:07:43 PM

21. He is 59 years old? Wow, he looks great for 39! Oh, papi!

Posted by: millerbeach | Jun 5, 2013 5:37:24 AM

22. That pic is at least 10 years old if not 20.

Posted by: Lee | Jun 11, 2013 9:39:17 AM

23. @David Hearne - Many Latin countries produce soaps that are sometimes dubbed in Portuguese or Spanish.
    People in other parts of the world are more emotionally demonstrative with their communication. Most people find soaps in any language hokey and over the top.

Posted by: parkrunner | Jun 11, 2013 10:24:29 PM

24. Sadly, using old pics is common in obits, and sited like bbrt.com, etc. Good for him, all of us must live OUR lives, it is OUR life.

Posted by: billmiller | Jun 15, 2013 8:38:47 AM