Adrian Peterson | Football (American) | Minnesota | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

NFL MVP Adrian Peterson: I'd Be Uneasy Showering with Gay Teammate But Would Still Pat Him on the Butt

Minnesota Vikings running back and reigning NFL MVP Adrian Peterson, who made headlines last week when he said he's "not with" gay marriage, tells the Oklahoman that he wouldn't mind having a gay teammate, except maybe in the locker room showers:

Peterson“Simple things, as far as showers and things like that, you know, of course, anyone would be uncomfortable,” Peterson said Monday. “But you know, I'm a grown man. There's things that I can deal with. I'm comfortable in my skin. I'll still high-five them. Pat them on the butt when he's doing good, and go on about my business.”

As a reminder, here are Peterson's remarks on same-sex marriage:

"To each his own, (but) I’m not with it. I have relatives that are gay. I’m not biased towards them. I still treat them the same. I love them. But, again, I’m not with that. That’s not something I believe in. But to each his own."

Many players have been voicing their opinion on this topic lately.

LuckIndianapolis Colts QB Andrew Luck told CNN over the weekend that he'd have "no problem" with a gay teammate and "I'd be disappointed if there was a negative reaction among players." Luck said he hoped that a gay player would feel comfortable coming out.

Rookie Steelers QB Landry Jones said as a Christian he doesn't believe in homosexuality but it would not interfere with his game: "I don't think it's right, but it's their life and I'm not going to go up because someone is gay and be mean or hateful and say terrible things to them. I'm going to treat them like a human being."

New York Jets linebacker DeMario Davis said he thinks gays are sinners but he'd welcome one to the team.

And NFL legend Joe Namath said over the weekend that homophobic players should "get over it":

"I have friends that are gay. I've worked in theater, I've been in art, you know, for some time. We work shoulder to shoulder. There's a lot of love from me to them, too. That's life, you know. And if you've got a hangup about it, I hope you can get over it because it's real."

Comments

1. First there is a pat on the butt. Then there is Pat in your butt.

Where does it end? In your butt....

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jun 4, 2013 11:09:01 AM

2. I'd slap Adrian on the butt intentionally just to make him uncomfortable, if I played for the Vikings.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 4, 2013 11:12:50 AM

3. you know, i'm practically the Gayest Gay Who Ever Gayed, and yet I don't, nor have I ever, patted (?) or smacked by buds on the butt. Gay or straight.

Is that what bothers these guys? That they enjoy ass-patting and don't want it to....uh....become..."gay", or something?

it's all very odd.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 4, 2013 11:13:06 AM

4. does this comment show he's even more stupid than his first comment? or does it show progress? when folks are this stupid to begin with it's hard to tell.

Posted by: candide001 | Jun 4, 2013 11:13:27 AM

5. Don't you dare get mad at this man, get mad at the reporters who manufactured this. I am not saying he isn't bigoted, but being bigoted is not the worst thing, it is something that can be overcome by reason.

How hard would it be to find a homophobe and get him to say something bigoted? Is that news?

This guy needs help to overcome his stupidity, I hope in the backlash from his stupid comments helps him there.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 4, 2013 11:19:53 AM

6. LOL...oh, Lord.

Well, it depends on whether you slap the top of the butt, or the bottom of the butt. And also, how long does you hand stay on the butt once you make contact.

Or, does the hand go under the butt toward the balls...that might be problematic, but pleasurable.

All important issues when dealing with guy's butts.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 4, 2013 11:20:37 AM

7. Bless his heart... Physical contact with other men's butts makes him feel like a man...

A man seeing him naked in the shower makes him feel... Like a woman?

Is he really so dense as to think he's never showered with a gay guy? With all the time he spends showering with men, none of them have been gay?

Really?

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Jun 4, 2013 11:21:48 AM

8. dude you aint all that...mmmmmmkayyyyy...and there was a time when WHITE Players didnt want to shower with black players......get with it..and GROW UP

Posted by: disgusted american | Jun 4, 2013 11:24:47 AM

9. Wouldn't the openly gay player be especially careful NOT to be caught looking in the shower room?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 4, 2013 11:32:49 AM

10. if you're a straight man and you're nervous about showering around gay men you'd be well-advised to never set foot in any gym, in any city. ever.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 4, 2013 11:35:12 AM

11. "Pat them on the butt when he's doing good, and go on about my business."

Yeah, there's nothing gay about that at all. -- Then go on about my business? It sounds like he's having a meeting with a CEO in a boardroom.

Posted by: David in the O.C. | Jun 4, 2013 11:37:59 AM

12. Apparently the real reason for homophobia is that straight men think we gays all possess superpowers. I mean, they must, if they think that in a shower full of men (who are presumably--statistically--heterosexual), just one gay man will be able to subdue them all and have his way with any and/or all of them at any given moment.

Either that or they're afraid to catch The Gay. Which, if the prospect of a gay teammate in the shower with you makes you start looking over your shoulder to catch who is staring at your ass...well, surprise, you're already gay!

Posted by: Christopher | Jun 4, 2013 11:39:03 AM

13. The other irony about Adrian is that he's done a number of topless photographs for various muscle and fitness magazines. Who the hell does he thinks looks at those magazine covers? LOL.

Well, he's from Texas. What do you expect? I love ALL my cousins from down South...but well, what do you expect?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 4, 2013 11:40:41 AM

14. No naked showers, but hands on another guys' butts are OK? Why does he have to make a point of telling us this?

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 4, 2013 11:41:13 AM

15. Yes Dastius, which is one of the reasons guys don't come out, in fact.

As Kiwi put it, gay/bi......we work out. Stereotype, yes, but there's truth to it. We keep in shape. We go to the gym. So if you've ever been to the gym and taken a shower, if you've ever changed in a gym, you've changed with a non-heterosexual man present. And they haven't tried to f**k you, because we have standards, and we have decorum, plus we tend to know who the straight boys are and aren't.

Baseless fear and ignorance is just that. His comments aren't cool because what he says has sway considering he's the best player in the NFL. I don't see him getting a ton of backlash; in fact, like with Roy Hibbert, I expect a mixed reaction of criticism and support. There's still a lot of homophobia in the sports world.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 4, 2013 11:46:27 AM

16. Very interesting comment about patting butts. Very.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 4, 2013 12:03:37 PM

17. Adrian just has to learn how to express himself, the way the PC police find acceptable.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 4, 2013 12:20:27 PM

18. Remember when the Olympics tried to butch up swimming and gymnastics with butt patting? It was like watching a gay man spit on the sidewalk.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 4, 2013 12:27:11 PM

19. I guess I'm odd but as a gay man I can understand why having a gay man in the showers might make some straight guys uncomfortable. It would be the same as having a woman in the showers. All sexual innuendo aside, I would find both unacceptable to me. Glad it's an issue I'll never have to face.

Posted by: Alex | Jun 4, 2013 12:32:13 PM

20. NNFL: No one is looking at you in the shower. You are a nasty farm animal society chooses to pay well to play a stupid game.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 4, 2013 12:32:58 PM

21. The comments in this thread just demonstrate why gay men are AT LEAST as responsible for the perpetuation of a homophobic male culture as straight men are.

Earth to Gays: Yes, men can have physical contact with each other as a show of affection without it being sexual in nature, whether it is the ritualized pat on the butt in American sports or men in other countries holding hands with each other.

Because most of you cannot conceive of having positive feelings or any bond with a man that is not sexual in nature, that goes right over your heads.

And BECAUSE you try to define every form of expression of affection between men as "gay", you poison the well and make it more difficult for men to loosen up emotionally with each other, which would accrue to the advantage of all of us.

So you end up being just as big a deterrent to social change as straight men who think one has to "keep one's distance" from other men emotionally and physically, lest they be considered "gay".

Posted by: Rick | Jun 4, 2013 12:44:41 PM

22. He seems like a heterosexual who's trying to "evolve." Let's not forget the closet costs heterosexuals the opportunity to "evolve" or grow up, because it doesn't allow us to give those people a chance.

Posted by: Frank | Jun 4, 2013 12:51:36 PM

23. folks, ignore Rick The Closet Case.

he doesn't have a single gay friend, let alone any straight ones, and will do the world a great big f***ing favour when he finally fellates a shotgun.

don't ask him questions. don't engage him in discussion. if you want to interact with him, ask him to provide a URL to show who he is. it's a surefire way to shut him up.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 4, 2013 12:52:01 PM

24. "And they haven't tried to f**k you, because we have standards, and we have decorum, plus we tend to know who the straight boys are and aren't."

Bullsh!t.

The only way to figure out if a guy in the shower is interested in sex with you is to cruise him.

And no, you don't know who the straight boys are and aren't--do they have a tag around their necks that indicates it? Is there a hard and fast dividing line between "straight" and "gay" in the first place? No.

Is a public shower a great place for a guy who is bi-curious to scope out other guys and perhaps discretely guage his interest? Of course, it is.

Of course, most guys who are not interested will either ignore it when they are cruised or give you a stern look if they notice your cruising and that usually is enough to send the appropriate message.

But you guys are lying through your teeth to claim that gay guys do not cruise all the guys in a public shower. So the issue is a legitimate one, even if it is overblown by many straight men.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 4, 2013 12:54:54 PM

25. Rick - Bite me. I remember you from AOL when you used to post requests for people to tell you erotic tales with a Fraternity background. Someone piped up and told you what really happened, how he was abused and expelled, how he had been humiliated, and what did you do? You waited three days, and then posted the same crap you always did.

Rick, you are a joke. Everyone here knows that men can be affectionate without being sexual. See, we actually have friends. You can't possibly have friends because you are phony. Phony people don't have friends, at most they have companions.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 4, 2013 12:55:19 PM