News | Paula Deen

Paula Deen Releases Two Statements Apologizing for Racist Remarks, Removes One: VIDEO

Deen

Paula Deen released two videos this afternoon apologizing for racist remarks she made in a deposition (transcript) for a discrimination lawsuit brought by her former employee Lisa Jackson in which she admitted to using the N-word, making racist and anti-semitic jokes, and having an interest in hiring black waiters to look like "slaves" for a "southern style plantation wedding." The videos came after a day in which she failed to show up for a segment on the Today show with Matt Lauer.

She has now been dropped by the Food Network.

In the deposition she is asked to explain whether she uses jokes in a mean way:

Lawyer: What about jokes, if somebody is telling a joke that's got --
Deen: It's just what they are, they're jokes.
Lawyer: Okay. Would you consider those to be using the N word in a mean way?

Deen: That's -- that's kind of hard. Most -- most jokes are about Jewish people, rednecks, black folks. Most jokes target -- I don't know. I didn't make up the jokes, I don't know. I can't -- I don't know.
Lawyer: Okay.
Deen: They usually target, though a group. Gays or straights, black, redneck, you know, I just don't know. I can't, myself, determine what offends another person.

P_deenOne of Deen's apology videos was removed from YouTube shortly after being posted, after it reportedly received hundreds of critical comments. It has been mirrored by other sites and reposted.

Says Deen in that video:

"I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I’ve done. I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate and hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable."

In the second, longer video, Deen adds:

”I’ve spent the best part of 24 years to help myself and others. Your color of your skin, your religion, your sexual preference does not matter."

Watch both clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I still love Paula Deen. She was born in the south long before the military services of the United States were integrated. She was born in the south when Plessy v Ferguson was still the law of the land. She was born in the south when a Negro males could be castrated and hung for whistling at a white woman. She grew up in the south when walking down the street she would hear Negro people lived in the flat, or across the tracks, or in Ni--er Town and every town had one. She grew up in the south that was lynching colored men by mobs screaming about ni--ers and when white boys were riding in the backs of trucks and using Ni--er shooters to fire marbles at young black kids walking home from the movies where the colored people sat upstairs in the back of the theater. She grew up in a society in which there were no colored kids in school and colored bathrooms were most often a privy behind a business and no one was going to let those little jigs darken the school house door,or the water fountain, or the restroom. If they were provided any education, it was with the cast off desks and school books from the white schools that had just gotten all new stuff. My father and his Masonic Lodge buddies were still pulling this separate but equal crap in 1962 in the slow down in implementation of Brown v Board of Education of Topeka, 1954 in TX. She would have been a teenager when all the epithets and racial slurs would have been flying from nearly every mouth in the south and hearing all the N-references to a population that had not even attained Black Status at the time. A different time and place and a different society. This woman has been hit broadside with all this hatred and reverse racism because of having grown up in the middle of the Civil Rights movement in the south. She has learned and changed and apologized for being reared in a society which by 1965 had to send in Federal Troops to enforce voting laws and desegregate the schools. It is my belief that her struggle to provide a living for her boys and working with black people and eventually African-Americans and having African-American customers in her restaurant has taught her that there are certain things that one once said that are no longer acceptable. She should not be hung out to dry by her former fans like the Dixie Chicks were because of having grown up in a different time period and a different society. I think that the Food Network has jumped the gun with getting rid of her and the haters are going to do their best to do their worst. Our society can not allow a grandmotherly lady to work on redemption but we will accept bad behavior from basketball rapists, and boxing rapists, and serial adulterers, football players that murder their teammates, but we are going to allow the media and the ignorant to destroy this talented lady for doing nothing more than 50 million other people from Florida to Washington D.C. and Savannah to Central Texas have done without nary a peep. Hell, in Texas there are people still setting gay people on fire. Is that the next thing that someone is going to want to do to this wonderful lady or will society simply settle to ruin her financially, socially, and by drowning her in politically correct outrage for actions taught her for 45 of her 66 years. If I could be assured that I could walk into her restaurant and give her a hug, I would be packing up for a road trip tomorrow. PS, I would get a bowl of peach cobbler and ask for a pat of butter on it while it was still warm and inject an extra 30 units of Novolog.

Posted by: *****overtxbyVann | Jun 22, 2013 6:03:32 AM

2. He (or she) who hasn't used the word, let them cast the first stone. PERIOD. We are all racist to a certain point. It is in how we live our lives that we should be judged. I am a so called "spick" and I have used racist words at other races when I have lashed out in anger. Am I a racist, NO. Have I used words that I should not have, ABSOLUTELY FU389NG YES. This woman was raised in the South when using these words were the norm, and now we expect her to lie in a deposition. I challenge ANYONE to go under oath and say that they have never used a racist word in anger at another person of a different race, creed or color. Everyday in traffic, I probably swear at someone of another ethnicity on their driving habits.
    I dare anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jorge Hernandez | Jun 22, 2013 6:16:09 AM

3. @Jorge Hernandez Ugh. If you can't think of anything to say when you're angry other than to hurl racists slurs, then yes that makes you a racist. Stop trying to justify your issues by calming that everyone does it. No, eveyone doesn't! Really! Stop. It's pathetic.

Posted by: Frank | Jun 22, 2013 7:17:42 AM

4. I have met Paula several times and she is a very nice person. She is a friend of the gays. In fact one of her managers just floats thru the room rather than walking. When planning theme parties you do whatever the customer will buy. This is just the press wanting something to talk about. This is just a sweet ol Southern Belle.

Posted by: Kris | Jun 22, 2013 8:47:05 AM

5. Honestly, I feel sorry for the woman. Of course using the "N-word" is utterly inexcusable - but I'm from the south, I know these people.
    I seriously doubt she harbors any deep anger, hatred or racism against anyone. Having lived in New York and the south both I find southerners, both black and white, much more comfortable with each other as a rule. And yes, familiarity sometimes breeds bad manners and presumption. (Can we not use our own families as examples?) I say cut her some slack - she's hardly satan - lesson learned Paula Deen Zip it girl!

Posted by: Bill | Jun 22, 2013 10:14:24 AM

6. She made a social fart which is excusable, she did not commit a crime.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 22, 2013 10:25:36 AM

7. Where is Oprah? Aren't Paula & Oprah friends? It would be interesting to see/hear what Oprah has to say about the whole issue and would make a stunning interview.

Posted by: JimH | Jun 22, 2013 11:09:00 AM

8. To Dave : Well pin a rose on you.

To Brian : Some people use the nword and live and work around black people. Some people would NEVER! use the nword, and live in "Safe neighborhoods with good schools".

What the hell do you think "safe neighborhood and good schools" means?

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 22, 2013 11:48:29 AM

9. David,

You are really becoming unhinged on this racist stuff. Why is it so important to you (and Jorge and all the other racists) to believe that everyone is a racist? When I'm angry at someone I have a whole bunch of words that spring to mind, but racial epithets never do. When someone cuts you off on the road, or ruins your day in countless different ways, why do you care about their race first and foremost? They're a holes or some variation of fu k etc, all of them regardless of their race. I know you'll say they did it first in your oft repeated story of the blacks and your bike ride. Knowing what a proud racist you are I can´t believe you didn't provoke it, but whatever. In 99 percent of the cases it's just jerks behaving badly and we have plenty of words to address the situation. Put your racist vocabulary to rest. And while you're at it, that racist dictionary you mentioned with photos of various kinds of blacks and their respective racial epithets? That's gotta go too. Baby steps, David...

Posted by: Brian1 | Jun 22, 2013 12:19:18 PM

10. Feeling a little sorry for Paula at this point. While I reject the language that she admits to using, she does seem truly apologetic, and seems to have learned a very hard lesson. She's just a cook and an entertainer, not a saint, and I feel like people ought to get a little bit of slack for occasionally being stupid or thoughtless.

Posted by: Will | Jun 22, 2013 1:25:07 PM

11. Brian1 - Tell me what the most obvious commonality of "safe neighborhood" and " good (public) schools" is.

Tell me where you live and why. When I lived in SF I lived in the majority black neighborhood around Alamo Square. I understand that it has since reverted to being white. The people I most often encounter who claim to never even think racist words are generally much higher up the hill than where I lived, or cloistered in the all white (except for select blacks and high end Asians) neighborhoods.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 22, 2013 2:20:38 PM

12. Why is it so important to you (and Jorge and all the other racists) to believe that everyone is a racist?

Posted by: Brian1

Because they are.

Being racist is not simply determined by the words you use. It's about the things you do; like where you choose to live.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 22, 2013 2:25:50 PM

13. This could save millions from a life of heart disease and diabetes.

Posted by: Rexford | Jun 22, 2013 2:41:49 PM

14. Rexford - Unlike the food you see on every other cooking show which is floating in butter, olive oil, or a sauce? Face it, few healthy foods are also delicious except for avocados, bananas, pineapples, and grapes.

After years of working in restaurants and being asked by people who have never worked in restaurants "What do restaurants do to make the (insert food here) taste so good?" My response is that as a rule they either dip it in oil, rub it with salt, or in the case of a "great steak (which I maintain is a social construct) " both.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 22, 2013 4:22:09 PM

15. David,

I don't know why you're going on about safe schools. I don't have kids, I could give a crap about the neighborhood schools. And I don't know the phrase you keep using "safe neighborhood and good schools" or something. You're trying to use it against me but I have no idea why. You're just arguing with yourself.

Apart from regurgitating that phrase, your point seems to be there are two types of people, those that hate people of color, and those that don't know any. It's such an idiotic stance that it's not worth debating.

Posted by: Brian1 | Jun 22, 2013 5:42:56 PM

16. Appearantly my signal gets blocked -- thank you towleroad

Posted by: ArkArk | Jun 22, 2013 7:26:41 PM

17. Brian1 - "safe neighborhood" and "good (public) schools" are the standard brag for qualifying properties on the market. If you will look at higher priced homes in any given market, the listing agent will brag of "safe neighborhood" and "good schools". These terms may not always be used as code for "few blacks" but they do always correspond to "few blacks".

Moving right along, in reading more about this case, Lisa Jackson is clearly trying to shake down Paula and her Brother and if the judge has ever worked in a restaurant he'll probably literally laugh Jackson out of the court room. Part of the complaint was that Bubba Hier in his role as restaurant owner was obnoxious and over bearing. Funny stuff.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 22, 2013 7:39:15 PM

18. @David,

AFter a scan of the NY Times real estate ads, I can confirm that what you're stating as fact is unsurprisingly not true.

And in an extremely rare case of agreement, the case on the face of it seems pretty weak, irrespective of Paula's racism.

Posted by: Brian1 | Jun 23, 2013 1:16:44 AM

19. "Frank,"

I WAS BORN IN RURAL NORTHERN-MISSISSIPPI (1966). AND, MY MATERNAL GREAT-GRANDMOTHER WAS CAUCASIAN. [She died when I was ten]. SO, "Frank," I UNDERSTAND THE SOCIAL INTERACTIONS BETWEEN SOUTHERN- CAUCASIANS AND NEGROES.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 23, 2013 2:50:30 AM

20. "Brian1," THERE ARE SOME OLD PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT, "netiquette."

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 23, 2013 2:54:37 AM

21. "***** overtxbyVann" - FANTASTIC COMMENTARY!

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 23, 2013 3:01:50 AM

22. "Frank,"

MONTHS AGO, MANY Towleroaders CLAIMED THEY WERE NOT RACISTS; BUT, WHEN I TYPED [sic], "Only white gay kids commit suicide," Towleroaders CALLED ME AN "angry black troll."

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 23, 2013 3:07:47 AM

23. "JimH,"

Oprah Winfrey WOULD NOT TOUCH Paula Deen's situation; CAUCASIANS ARE STILL MAD AT HER FOR THE "Mad Cow-Beef Scandal." Ms. Winfrey IS TRYING TOO HARD TO NOT BE EXPOSED AS, lesbian.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 23, 2013 3:15:02 AM

24. Andy Towle,

I JUST MADE A SUPPORTIVE COMMENT TO "David Hearne," WHICH YOU DELETED. IT SEEMS YOU WANT TO MAKE ME LOOK FOOLISH. SO, FAIR-MINDED Towleroaders, IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MY MIND, READ MY COMMENTARY AT Personal Liberty Digest AND Global Dispatch.

BY-THE-WAY, Mr. Towle, YOU ARE FREE TO DELETE THIS COMMENT.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 23, 2013 3:41:22 AM

25. This could save millions from a life of heart disease and diabetes.

Posted by: Rexford | Jun 22, 2013 2:41:49 PM