ENDA | Florida | Marco Rubio | News

Marco Rubio: It Should Be Legal to Fire Someone for Being Gay: VIDEO

Marco_rubio

Think Progress caught up with Senator Marco Rubio today in an elevator at the opening luncheon of the annual Faith and Freedom Forum and asked him about the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).

Said Rubio:

"I haven’t read the legislation. By and large I think all Americans should be protected but I’m not for any special protections based on orientation."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

It was the second fail on LGBT civil rights for Rubio in 24 hours.

Earlier, he said he's finished with the immigration bill if it includes gay couples:

"If this bill has something in it that gives gay couples immigration rights and so forth, it kills the bill. I'm done," Rubio said Thursday during an interview on the Andrea Tantaros Show. "I'm off it, and I've said that repeatedly. I don't think that's going to happen and it shouldn't happen. This is already a difficult enough issue as it is."

Comments

1. @Nik: Your use of the term "fag" gives bigots the right to call us that while they're bashing us - figuratively or literally.

If we call each other fag and think it's OK, then we can't complain when others call us fag.

IMO, people that bandy about that term most likely think it's OK to call black people n*gger.

Posted by: johnny | Jun 14, 2013 8:45:35 AM

2. Marco Rubio can say now that he has something in common with Fidel Castro and Che Guevara. Yes, homophobic.

Posted by: Malo | Jun 14, 2013 9:19:27 AM

3. @pedro: people bring up Rubio's Cuban heritage because he has the audacity to talk about people getting "special treatment" or getting "special protections" when as a Cuban immigrant (or child of Cuban immigrants) he and his family have received special privileges and treatment provided to NO other immigrant group in America. That makes him a special for of hypocrite.

Personally, I find Rubio to be a liar, a fraud and a reprehensible dolt. He's one of the kings of the pig people that now infest the GOP, a malignancy on the nation's body politic. It is Cubans like Rubio that made Fidel Castro possible.

Rubio is a foolish man. He plays to an ever shrinking audience. He will never be president. He will never be vice president. He is a tool of the white GOP establishment, one of their token "house Latinos" and little more.

I lived and worked in Miami for well over 30 years. I know the conservative Cuban Republican mentality. Politically, they are treacherous and duplicitous people, whether Republican or the rare Democrat (ask Al Gore about Alex Penelas). They also consider themselves as uber-Latinos, a cut above all other Hispanics culturally and socially. A very arrogant people.

Posted by: Bob R | Jun 14, 2013 9:27:01 AM

4. @pedro: people bring up Rubio's Cuban heritage because he has the audacity to talk about people getting "special treatment" or getting "special protections" when as a Cuban immigrant (or child of Cuban immigrants) he and his family have received special privileges and treatment provided to NO other immigrant group in America. That makes him a special for of hypocrite.

Posted by: Bob R | Jun 14, 2013 9:27:01 AM

5. Marco Rubio needs to go f--- himself.

Posted by: Martin Haro | Jun 14, 2013 9:34:10 AM

6. Why the headline isn't "Rubio calls for universal worker protections for all Americans", I don't know. Can you imagine him trying to weasel out of that one. It sounds so socialist!!

Posted by: BobN | Jun 14, 2013 10:02:14 AM

7. Great! I can't wait to fire someone at my design office for being straight. I only want gays in this office!

Posted by: Jay Phillips | Jun 14, 2013 10:11:40 AM

8. Rubio is a snake.
    I saw it on his 2012 Medicare ads and I see it now.

Posted by: Gast | Jun 14, 2013 12:46:49 PM