Joe Namath | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Super Bowl Champ Joe Namath To Homophobes: 'Get Over It'

Joen
Joe Namath appeared on HuffPost Live and told the interviewer that while he says he doesn't know which of his former teammates were gay, he did have a message for those who might be anti-gay:

"I have friends that are gay. I've worked in theater, I've been in art, you know, for some time. We work shoulder to shoulder. There's a lot of love from me to them, too. That's life, you know. And if you've got a hangup about it, I hope you can get over it because it's real."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Good for him!

Posted by: Reality | Jun 2, 2013 7:28:10 PM

2. Isn't he stereotyping us by associating us with the theater profession? I also don't trust Huffington Post. It's a homophobic web site.

Posted by: Brent | Jun 2, 2013 8:47:14 PM

3. I'm sure the homophobes are shaking in their boots. Why doesn't Namath come out? Whatever happened to Joey Heatherton? Weren't they dating? Looks like anyone who's every got a BJ is coming out of the woodwork.

Posted by: Ed | Jun 2, 2013 8:50:30 PM

4. Joe Namath is 70 years old. I was bemused by his Theater and arts comments, but understand the generation he is from. I thank him for his support of equality and it only confirms the regard I have always held him in as a professional athlete.

On a shallower note, Broadway Joe was some hot s%$t back in the day. When he married the headline of the New York Daily news was 4 large words, "Namath Marries Woman Weep"

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Jun 2, 2013 9:03:01 PM

5. He's still hot 'get over it'

Posted by: megamike | Jun 2, 2013 9:19:06 PM

6. He's not stereotyping by saying gays are in theater. He is specifically stating he has worked shoulder to shoulder with gays in theater and has love for them. Good lord are we really going to rip apart every person who doesn't say exactly what we want when we want????

Posted by: robroy | Jun 2, 2013 9:47:54 PM

7. It's not stereotyping if he has gay friends who he met during his time spent working in theater....
    I swear some of you WANT to think everyone secretly hates you. "Get over it."

Posted by: Lance | Jun 2, 2013 9:51:31 PM

8. Yep. I agree. He's still hot.

Posted by: dattexas | Jun 2, 2013 9:53:12 PM

9. I doubt even mannequins are safe on here. Everything is "hot!"

Posted by: Ed | Jun 2, 2013 10:13:39 PM

10. and of course, Joe Namath actually wore panty hose back in the day...

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jun 2, 2013 10:30:39 PM

11. Thanks Joe!
    You're the first Super Bowl winning quarterback to give voice of support for equality. Much appreciated.

If my thinking is correct there are 28 other living Super Bowl winning quarterbacks (Unitas passed 2002). Would be fun to see how many others we can add to this list now that it's started.

Posted by: JONES | Jun 2, 2013 10:34:36 PM

12. Awesome, thanks Joe! Joe did a lot of acting, some theater and a couple movies as well. He also loved the Manhattan nightlife when he was in the NFL. So he's been around gay people much of his life and it isn't an issue for him. Good for Joe! Goes to show how powerful awareness can be to a persons psyche, and that simply existing around people who are gay can and often does lead to acceptance.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 2, 2013 10:51:28 PM

13. I think that he probably met "out" gay folks in his work on TV and Broadway and movies. More so than in Football. I think that was what he meant.

Posted by: jeff | Jun 2, 2013 11:06:31 PM

14. Ditto what Lance wrote,

Posted by: MichaelJ | Jun 2, 2013 11:12:01 PM

15. I have loved Broadway Joe since I was a kid. Sexy as hell. We should welcome all who support us.

Posted by: Rocco | Jun 2, 2013 11:27:50 PM

16. you go broadway joe!

Posted by: alguien | Jun 2, 2013 11:32:28 PM

17. You just gotta love Broadway Joe.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 3, 2013 12:47:20 AM

18. I personally think Joe Namath is also into men.

Posted by: Brent | Jun 3, 2013 1:15:25 AM

19. Well said.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 3, 2013 3:52:29 AM

20. Joe's face is holding on to his skull remarkably well. I'm proud that he hasn't had any work done.

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 3, 2013 6:53:07 AM

21. Joe, I always thought you were a hero, and you are.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Jun 3, 2013 11:45:54 AM

22. Go Joe! I LOVE YOU, JOE!!

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Jun 3, 2013 11:53:10 AM

23. "Broadway Joe" was a handsome hero for kids growing up in New York City back in the day! And he still is... Love you Joe!!
    PS: If you get the chance try to find the clips of Joe N. on the Flip Wilson Show when Joe meets Geraldine! PRICELESS

Posted by: Cubear | Jun 3, 2013 6:54:30 PM

24. "And if you've got a hangup about it, I hope you can get over it because it's real."

Love the way he puts it. Doesn't matter what you believe, people are gay, period. They aren't going to change. You aren't going to eradicate the gay. The responsibility is on YOU to learn how to deal with it. (Well not "you" but homophobes.)

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 3, 2013 7:45:03 PM

25. Some of Joe Namath's old shirtless/pantsless photos on the internet are too hot to be believed. LOVE that he seems like a nice guy on top of it and not a clueless old has-been.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 4, 2013 11:19:27 AM