Minnesota | News | Tom Emmer

Tom Emmer Sets His Sights On Michelle Bachmann's Vacant Seat

With Michelle Bachman announcing her decision to not run for reelection Minnesota Republicans have begun lining up to claim her Sixth District seat, and Tom Emmer is the first to announce his bid, the Star Tribune reports.

EmmerThe 2010 failed gubernatorial candidate said that he has "never felt more compelled in my life to serve,” and cites the IRS scandals and out-of-control spending as reasons to run, asking "Is this the legacy we want to leave to our children?”

During his run for governor in 2010 Tom Emmer's anti-gay views were brought into focus. He donated money to You Can Run But You Cannot Hide ministries, whose band Junkyard Prophets supports executing homosexuals; he authored a consitutional amendment to ban gay marriage and fought against gay couples being given any rights; and fought against gay and lesbian couples being able to use a surrogate to concieve children. In the middle of all of this, Target and Best Buy suffered boycotts and backlash for donating to Emmer's conservative MN Forward PAC.

Presently, no Democrats have announced that they will run against him, but elections are still 18 months away which is plenty of time for a contender to emerge.

Comments

1. Well, now we know who Target can donate to now that their previous favorite Michelle is leaving.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Jun 6, 2013 7:09:04 PM

2. Has anyone noticed that Andy has been relatively low-key on his criticism of the Obama administration regarding its spying on its own citizens?

Posted by: Adam | Jun 6, 2013 7:13:14 PM

3. Jeez, I should run against him. Even I could beat him.

Posted by: tim | Jun 6, 2013 8:18:23 PM

4. Maybe I'm way off, but Emmer's pic looks like Most Likely To Get Caught Seeking Blowies In The Mall Bathroom

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 6, 2013 8:41:08 PM

5. Since losing he has spent a lot of time on conservative talk radio, sharing a time slot with another rabid right winger. His on-air partner thinks that the Newtown victims families should "go to hell" for speaking out against gun violence. Emmer didn't stop his bud or oppose this extreme view.

Posted by: bkmn | Jun 6, 2013 8:42:41 PM

6. This guy's views SHOULD mean he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected. On the other hand, he is running in the state that elected Batsh*t Crazy Bachmann.

Posted by: MajorTom | Jun 6, 2013 9:02:10 PM

7. Yes Caliban...he's like a morph between Ted Haggard and Mark Foley.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jun 6, 2013 9:54:22 PM

8. Actually, Mr Emmer, the real scandal is the Teapublican's obstruction on jobs, tax overhaul, and the environment.

Posted by: David R. | Jun 6, 2013 10:02:42 PM

9. "Teapublicans'"

Posted by: David R. | Jun 6, 2013 10:12:43 PM

10. Off with his head !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 6, 2013 10:23:01 PM

11. Ditto to that.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 7, 2013 12:52:08 AM

12. I still have not darkened the door at a Target in what....three years? As long as their crazy CEO and current board of directors are in place, they won't see any of my dollars. It was a great place to "stock-up" for years...found Costco and will never go back. Sold all my stock in Target at the time. My money probably does not make one iota of a difference but I FEEL good! Trust me, Target may not donate to this guy directly (ot it will be hidden) but all the executives will.

I feel the same about Exxon/Mobile, Marriott, Walmart, Trump...I just avoid them. Never was a Best Buy person. It's hard to always shop with a conscience but I try. The older I get, the better I become!

Posted by: Matt Ford | Jun 7, 2013 1:25:47 AM

13. What IRS scandals? Oh, the one FOX news has been hyping ad nauseum but which really doesn't exist.

What out-of-control spending? Federal spending has dropped to levels not seen since the 1950s.

I don't know. Maybe conservatives really do live in an alternate universe.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 7, 2013 12:34:30 PM