Crime | New York

BigGayDeal.com

Woman Reportedly Raped at Knifepoint Because She is Gay

Greenpoint

The Brooklyn Paper is reporting that a woman was "raped at knifepoint" in the neighbourhood of Greenpoint in Brooklyn last Sunday morning because she is gay.

"A man put a knife to the victim’s face as she was walking along Java Street between Manhattan Avenue and McGuiness Boulevard just after midnight on June 16, the victim told police. He pulled her down onto the sidewalk and raped her. He told her it was because of her sexual orientation."

The man reportedly told the woman "I'm doing this to you because you're gay."

This is just the latest in a string of anti-gay hate crimes in New York City this year.

(Image by Genial23 via Flickr.)

Comments

1. Hmmm. I hope this woman is OK, and gets the help she needs. And I seriously hope this isn't another fake hate crime, because there's way too many of the fake kind going around.

And Julian, it's 'color', not 'colour'...;)

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 20, 2013 7:55:25 AM

2. Hmmm. I hope this woman is OK, and gets the help she needs. And I seriously hope this isn't another fake hate crime, because there's way too many of the fake kind going around.

And Julian, it's 'color', not 'colour'...;)

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 20, 2013 7:55:25 AM

3. Those Canadians and their superfluous u's...you're lucky you're hot.

Posted by: Andrew | Jun 20, 2013 9:39:51 AM

4. This is my neighborhood - I walk down that street to get to Tuesday night bar trivia. Ugh. This feels like Buffy's ep "Prophecy Girl" when vampires murder kids in the AV room at school - and I feel a lot like Willow right now.

My condolences and best hopes for the woman attacked.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 20, 2013 9:45:36 AM

5. Wow, that is really messed up. That is not a desolate street, it is by the water but in that area it is FULL of houses, houses with nosy people even! Shame on everyone who saw that and did nothing, because there had to be a lot of people that saw.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2013/06/woman-reportedly-raped-at-knifepoint-because-she-is-gay.html#ixzz2Wle0Fw1A

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 20, 2013 10:39:23 AM

6. Oh so there is a profanity filter. WTF is wrong with you andy that you would filter harmless profanity but allow the horrible racist bile that flows in these comments.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 20, 2013 10:40:34 AM

7. fenrox, you should withhold judgment before we have all the details of whether or not "a lot of people" had to have witnessed this on an early sunday morning. i once witnessed a couple get mugged on a dark city street who were hustled down a stairwell. if I didn't have my attention turned at time, i would've easily missed it

Posted by: gomez | Jun 20, 2013 11:28:14 AM

8. Need a lot more information. Very skeptical here.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 20, 2013 1:24:01 PM

9. How in the world did this man know she was gay? I do not know this neighborhood...was she coming out of a bar, or something? All the same, I hope she is alright. Rape is a horrible crime, and I hope the man responsible is caught.

Posted by: millerbeach | Jun 21, 2013 4:30:34 AM