BigGayDeal.com

NYC's Ansonia and the Gay Bathhouse That Formed One Chapter in its Life: VIDEO

Baths

Vanity Fair is running a new 8-part mini-doc web series called Eminent Domains about famous New York buildings, and they're starting with The Ansonia, the former hotel at Broadway and 73rd that once housed the Continental Baths, where Bette Midler got her start. That's just one chapter in its colorful history.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Ansonia2

Comments

1. Looks like the building used for exterior shots of 666 Park Avenue in ABC. Loved that show.

Posted by: AriesMatt | Jul 10, 2013 7:45:15 PM

2. like Ashley explained I can't believe that some people can earn $6505 in a few weeks on the internet. have you seen this web site... can99.ℂ­om

Posted by: Julie E. Brady | Jul 10, 2013 7:58:52 PM

3. Let's not glorify in these sleazy bath-houses. They were to blame for the deaths of many gay men.

Posted by: Jason | Jul 10, 2013 8:19:41 PM

4. Yes, let's not glorify these bath houses, where out and proud gay men socialized with each other and engaged in pleasurable activities. I've ever gotten laid in my entire life, and look how happy and proud I am. Oh wait...I'm neither.

Posted by: Jason | Jul 10, 2013 10:27:28 PM

5. We've come a long way but there's something I do miss about those days. The baths were an important social scene for someone like me.

Posted by: Jason | Jul 11, 2013 1:10:51 AM

6. Not just Bette Midler but her piano player: Barry Manilow.

Posted by: andrew | Jul 11, 2013 3:58:36 AM

7. These bath-houses are pathogen-incubators. Like a test tube, they confine promiscuous behavior to a small enclosure, thus increasing the likelihood of STD transmission amongst many people. Shut them all down.

Posted by: Jason Smedley | Jul 11, 2013 4:06:27 AM

8. @Smedley: It's 2013! The Continental Baths closed over 30 years ago. Gay liberation along with the Aids Epidemic has led to the closing, years ago, of most Gay Bath Houses. Most gay men now lead out and healthier lives.

Posted by: andrew | Jul 11, 2013 4:27:38 AM

9. OK enough already with the moralizing. The baths, which by the way I never patronized, were an important part of gay culture back in the day. I say the same thing about that as I do about abortion...if you don't like it don't go. I didn't personally but I have no judgments to pass and I understand the important role they played in history.

Posted by: stanhope | Jul 11, 2013 5:19:50 AM

10. Andrew why don't you do what you said you would and shut down the people who post here under false aliases...to wit the Jason and Rick and Mateom clones?
    Please do this. Start with KIWI who has done it more than anyone.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 11, 2013 5:48:12 AM

11. Andrew why don't you do what you said you would and shut down the people who post here under false aliases...to wit the Jason and Rick and Mateom clones?
    Please do this. Start with KIWI who has done it more than anyone.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 11, 2013 5:48:12 AM

12. Sorry, what was I talking about? I was too busy projecting, as I myself am an alias of ratbastard. But hey...we all make mistakes.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 11, 2013 1:23:29 PM