Denmark | News | Russia

BigGayDeal.com

'Dear Russia: It's Not Okay'

Notok

The recent spate of human rights abuses against LGBT people in Russia has caused great consternation in the LGBT community, sparking debate as to what can be done to stand up for those facing persecution abroad. Amidst disagreement about how best to respond to these abuses, out gay Danish actor Christian Vincent reminds us why the struggle for LGBT rights in Russia and around the world matters in a video entitled, "Dear Russia: It's Not Okay":

"I am privileged enough to be able to say [that I'm gay] openly, even publicly without any consequences. This is not something I need to do or something I have to do but I have the right to do it. The value of this right is not to be underestimated. The value of this right is not to be taken for granted. The absence of this right is lethal. If you are one of those who are, as myself, lucky enough to have this right, I merely ask of you to use it. Our brothers and sisters in Russia among many other places need our voice and our support now more than ever...Awareness has started and awareness is hope. And hope is never silent. So I ask of you once again, tell the world it's not okay."

Check out the video in full AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Who the hell are you talking to? Me? I sure as hell don't need so many dramatic pauses! Sheesh, I remember thinking I was so poignant and dramatic at 26 too.

This issue could be solved by young directors shaming nobody on the internet, but I think it's only going to come to a head with attention and support. We need bigger comedians making jokes about Russia on TV. We need to drag them through the mud. Then when the pro-gay side in Russia starts to gain some traction for change, then we can all jump in and try to make it happen.

Huh, mixed message, im throwing shade on this dude cuz of the way he is speaking to nobody, nobody should put up with someone speaking to them like that.

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 1, 2013 10:01:17 AM

2. Fenrox. You are an idiot, sir.

Posted by: Boris | Aug 1, 2013 10:05:02 AM

3. This is admirable and precisely what we need to be doing: using our privilege to come out and say, "I'm gay and I am not going to stand by and allow other govenments threaten the freedoms and even the lives of my gay brothers and sisters. I'm going to put pressue on government, on the IOC and on the broadcasters and sponsors of the Winter Olympics."

Thank you, Christian, for making this video.

Posted by: Joseph2 | Aug 1, 2013 10:17:00 AM

4. Jesus Fenrox who pissed in your cheerios today?

Posted by: Randyowen | Aug 1, 2013 10:22:34 AM

5. Another Attention queen promoting themselves before others...yawn..

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Aug 1, 2013 10:43:08 AM

6. And you are useless Boris!

@Randy, Who eats cereal?

Also, did you watch this? How can you stand that cadence? It's totally deadpan 3am drunk 20 year old trying to sound dramatic, NON IRONICALLY. I also got to see local news for the first time in years a couple months ago and I was disgusted for the same reason, How can anyone stand someone talking down at them like that?

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 1, 2013 10:47:45 AM

7. "Fenrox" : Another Bottom Who Thinks He's A Top.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 1, 2013 10:51:47 AM

8. Agree with the sentiment but the delivery........oi vey. Russia confuses the hell outta me - i was in Moscow and St Petersburg last year and found it to be an interesting relatively friendly culture. I hope Russians don't feel we all think they're as backwards as that old fart Putin.

Posted by: disco | Aug 1, 2013 11:06:13 AM

9. He's Danish speaking in English, and possibly was a bit nervous. For once, it's not the delivery that's important, it's the message. I commend him.

Posted by: Joseph2 | Aug 1, 2013 11:28:27 AM

10. This young man obviously speaks English as a second language, so his delivery should be given a pass. His message is what is important and I agree wholehearted with Christian.

Posted by: Howard | Aug 1, 2013 11:33:18 AM

11. Lemme guess David, you are over the age of 55. Back when Top and Bottom meant things, these days it's all about being versatile.

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 1, 2013 11:43:09 AM

12. its not delivery in words, its the acting delivery. English is a second language for the Danish (over 85% speak English)
    i do agree with the sentiment but i find the acting delivery so off-putting i find it hard to listen to the message. The intent is pure but the action comes across as patronizing.
    call me shallow......or old......or a bottom......cos thats how these comments sections seem to go?

I am really curious how mens ice skating is gonna work at the Olympics. Since its clearly a promotion of the gay lifestyle (look at the outfits!) do they all get arrested immediately?

Posted by: disco | Aug 1, 2013 12:01:43 PM

13. Awareness does not lead to action....just self promotion...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Aug 1, 2013 12:19:27 PM

14. Fenrox: talk about condescending tone.

For you and your ilk it'll always be style over substance. Not to talk about elevating his English speaking skills and intonation over what he actually had to say.

When do we get to see your perfect intervention on and solution to this issue? And yes. befoire youy start attacking my grammar let it be known that English is not my first language either.

But then what the hell, just let the gays in Russia get beaten up while you whine about someone's speech pattern.

Posted by: Boris | Aug 1, 2013 12:24:57 PM

15. @Boris, I gave you my solution in my first comment. I don't care how much English you use, use it all, go nuts! Also, I like that I have an ilk, an agenda. Sorry buddy, I am just a regular guy, I don't like thing, I do like things. I wish i could be the one dimensional monster you see running around in your mind, I do love validating people's crazy!

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 1, 2013 12:50:05 PM

16. his point is that we all need to start speaking out and sticking up for our brothers and sisters across the world. not that hard to grasp. his delivery was pointed and heartfelt. haters are weaksauce

Posted by: gomez | Aug 1, 2013 12:57:21 PM

17. Fenrox: To quote you (with improved spelling and style) : I am throwing shade on this Fenrox because of the way he is speaking to others. No one should put up with someone speaking to them like that.

Not to talk about the amount of unnecessary drama in your last comment. My comments stand. To paraphrase you: I like some people, I strongly despise other.

Posted by: Boris | Aug 1, 2013 1:08:10 PM

18. Awesome, useless, Boris!

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 1, 2013 1:20:05 PM

19. From these comments queens can be so vicious. Who needs the Russians? Gay verses gay is more damaging.

Posted by: Gareth | Aug 1, 2013 2:26:03 PM

20. Hooray for the Danish guy!

Posted by: barney | Aug 1, 2013 11:43:00 PM

21. WELL DONE!!!

Posted by: andrew | Aug 2, 2013 12:48:08 AM

22. Too self promoting...

Posted by: jack | Aug 2, 2013 6:01:30 AM