Amy Poehler | Andy Cohen | Film and TV | Jane Lynch | Kristin Chenoweth | Rachel Griffiths | Television

Five Summer TV Series Everyone's Talking About

Poehlergamenight

BY BOBBY HANKINSON

Just because many consider summer to be television's "off-season," doesn’t mean there aren’t still plenty of new shows making their debut. Sure, some (much) of it is junk, as many networks burn off series that failed to inspire enough confidence to bow in the fall. Some shows manage to build a following despite the odds -- Seinfeld, Sex & the City and The O.C., to name a few -- but it's too early to tell which of the 2013 summer slate will become the next big hit.

Take a break from catching up on last season and binge-watching established shows on Netflix to check out these new series heating up the summer small screen.

More, AFTER THE JUMP...

Orange Is The New Black (Netflix)

Waiting for Netflix to hit it out of the park with an original series? This is it. A suburban housewife's criminal past lands her in a women's prison. More than her adjustment from riches to rags, we're treated to a thoroughly engrossing (and diverse) ensemble that paints a complex portrait of female sexuality.

Hollywood Game Night (NBC)

We blame Bravo's Andy Cohen for this celebrity game show. It may owe its history to Match GameHollywood Squares and The $10,000 Pyramid, but Cohen's Watch What Happens Live revived our interest in seeing celebs play parlor games. On this new series, two civilians join teams of stars to compete in silly challenges as Jane Lynch MCs. Future guests include Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph and Kristin Chenoweth.

The Bridge (FX)

It's tempting to lump this series in with another Americanized crime thriller with Scandinavian roots, The Killing. However, The Bridge has more in common with Homeland and Bones than AMC's divisive drama. Diane Kruger (Inglourious Basterds) portrays a policewoman working alongside a Mexican detective to crack a case of serial killings along the Texas-Mexico border. Like Homeland's Carrie or the titular Bones, Kruger's Det. Sonya Cross has her own psychological/social issues to contend with.

Under the Dome (CBS)

Based on a Stephen King novel, Under the Dome's buzzy pilot garnered the highest ratings for a summer drama premiere since 1992. The plot follows a sleepy town suddenly trapped inside, well, a dome. Human nature takes over and the residents of Chester's Mill need to overcome the panic and figure out how to get free. It remains to be seen if it will be the next Lost or FlashForward, but ratings have been slipping since the pilot.

Camp (NBC)

No, no, not that kind of camp. Like summer camp. Get nostalgic with this coming-of-age dramedy focusing on a family sleepaway camp and starring Rachel Griffiths (Six Feet Under, Brothers & Sisters). One could even double down on the campfire singalong vibe with the reality competition Summer Camp on USA.

What has been your favorite new show this summer?

Comments

1. The Dome . . . a new series to watch . . . really??????

Posted by: Continuum | Jul 12, 2013 10:50:45 AM

2. Under the Dome is losing me rapidly. Next Monday's episode will decide whether I take it off my DVR schedule or not.

Posted by: Jon | Jul 12, 2013 10:53:20 AM

3. The poster Zeta on this site is a bigot....please pass it on....enough with pandering to religious trolls who pretend to be our friend on this site.

In a recent thread, Zeta stated "gays coming out are drama queens who want to shove their sexuality down people's throats"

In a thread last week, Zeta said:

"which is it? Is marriage about love or about contracts?

If it's about love, then no one should tell someone they can't marry the grove they've bonded with, they take of, they own, or which they are going to pledge to own and take care of.

If it's about contracts, then ditto.

I don't see the problem. Should homosexuals?" while going on and on about how gay marriage can lead to animals and humans marrying.

ZETA IS A TROLL!

Posted by: Mikey | Jul 12, 2013 10:55:30 AM

4. under the dome = SIMPSONS did it

a south park episode had every idea = The SIMPSONS did it

and LOL now its reality

Posted by: Moz's | Jul 12, 2013 10:56:42 AM

5. Agreed about Dome. So much promise, but I'm starting to... zzzzzz...

Posted by: JP | Jul 12, 2013 10:56:50 AM

6. I think Whodunnit? should've been on that list. The death scenes are campier than the show Camp.

Posted by: EJ | Jul 12, 2013 11:06:03 AM

7. I watch Dome for one reason...Mike Vogel. I can sit through one hour of crap just to see that sexy scruffy face.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 12, 2013 11:19:12 AM

8. I'm really enjoying Graceland and LOVED Family Tree, which just ended it's first season run on HBO last week. Rectify also has some Emmy worthy performances and is a unique show concept.

I really liked the first episode of Camp. Lots of cute, fresh faces and bodies and I think the writing and acting is solid, sens a few Aussie (New Zealand) accents slipping out, but otherwise, looking forward to more episodes.

Under the Dome's pilot was amazing and subsequent episodes have lost the magic, but it's still decent enough to see what happens.

Plan on checking out Orange is the New Black (love Taylor Schilling) and may give Hollywood Game Night a shot.

Posted by: AriesMatt | Jul 12, 2013 12:05:02 PM

9. I got suckered into watching Hollywood Game Night because Jimmy Fallon's celebrity games are always so much fun. This show was a train wreck made for idiots. Product placement was the entire reasoning behind "Identify the Junk Food" -- yeah, it's a total funfest watching people try to recognize a bowl of Cheetos -- and mentions of Donald Trump, Kim Kardashian and Justin Bieber set the IQ extremely low. I'm baffled as to who the audience is supposed to be: are there actually really stupid people who like trivia games? I guess it's like fat people watching sports.

Posted by: RomanHans | Jul 12, 2013 12:29:22 PM

10. I second the Whodunnit? love. It's ridiculous and compelling, and just campy enough to be fun while still having interesting twists and reveals. Plus, cat attack!

Posted by: dekkoparsnip | Jul 12, 2013 12:42:09 PM

11. I quit The Dome as soon as I discovered it was a would-be series rather than an adaptation of the novel. Not interested. Might check out The Bridge, except I'm not really looking to get hooked on new TV.

Maybe because it's a cable show, but why no mention of Ray Donovan, easily the best of the new crop? Um, cable is where all the really quality shows are - so if we're going to talk new summer shows, best to include where the good ones are likely to be.

Posted by: Zlick | Jul 12, 2013 12:56:14 PM

12. RAY DONOVAN! I've only seen the first two episodes and found it completely fascinating. I had no expectations and really knew nothing about it and only watched because I was channel surfing for about 30 minutes trying to find something to watch. Decided to give it a shot because Liev Schreiber makes my knees weak and was oh so pleasantly surprised. Highly recommend it! I just hope further episodes prove to be just as entertaining.

Posted by: Gary A/House Music Pusher | Jul 12, 2013 1:01:25 PM

13. Hate how the Networks have to beat everything to death. They get a hit and then they drag it out and destroy it. Under the Dome could have been a good mini-series, but now they're going to torture us with it. If it's a success, why not just adapt another novel of King's?

Posted by: Jesse | Jul 12, 2013 1:06:44 PM

14. Dome is also starting to lose me. If the next episode (about a meningitis outbreak) doesn't punch up the suspense I'll probably drop it too.

Posted by: Rob | Jul 12, 2013 1:15:27 PM

15. The Bridge is a snooze fest. I gave it 45 minutes, then deleted it from my DVR and from ever recording again. FX really messed up in green lighting it.

Graceland is fun. Enjoy it a lot and sorry to not see it on this list.

Ray Donovan is another winner. Again, why not on this list?

Under the Dome is a travesty. Then again 99% of adaptations of Stephen King's books are travesties. Still, with the bar set so low, did it really have to be this bad?

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Jul 12, 2013 1:49:00 PM

16. Watched Camp pilot on Hulu last night. Uninspired, boring and have no desire to see another episode. Would be surprised if it lasts a whole season.

Posted by: RockinRobbie | Jul 12, 2013 2:23:10 PM

17. Moone Boy on Hulu Plus. Gotta check it out. It's a new BBC series that's exclusive to Hulu Plus set in Ireland. Very witty. AND, if you ever saw the BBC series on Netflix called "The IT Crowd," the white IT guy from that is on this new series. The 3rd episode even features a side gay line.

Posted by: Alan E. | Jul 12, 2013 3:10:55 PM

18. Whodunnit is so marvelously bad, I can't give it up. I thought Hannibal was ingenious - the creepiest and most tension-filled show on network. Sometimes I watched from between my fingers.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 12, 2013 4:48:46 PM

19. caught the first 2 eps of orange is the new black last night. It definitely grabs your attention. Even if it is all about the women :)
    Ray Donovan has some possibilities and lots of interesting questions waiting to be answered.

The dome is just yawn - i tried but its just blahhhh

Posted by: alotafun | Jul 12, 2013 5:06:18 PM

20. @Mike I'm with you on the Vogel love.

Posted by: moike | Jul 12, 2013 5:13:01 PM

21. Under the Dome just makes me want to rewatch Jericho every time I watch it.

Posted by: Jekyll | Jul 12, 2013 9:21:44 PM

22. Orange is the New Black hits it out of the park, but is hardly the first Netflix Original Series to do so. Hello House of Cards?!

Posted by: WK | Jul 12, 2013 11:36:38 PM

23. I'm a Graceland guy - love the men on it (Daniel Sunjata, Aaron Tveit, Brandon Jay McLaren, and Manny Montana.)

Posted by: bravo | Jul 13, 2013 11:41:05 AM

24. My partner and I just started watching "Devious Maids,"on Lifetime. It's about Latina maids who work for four different wealthy families, and the families have their own drama and secrets. If you haven't started to watch it yet, the first three episodes are On-Demand, to play catch-up. The very first episode got us hooked immediately. The show has a very fun "Desperate Housewives vibe, and that's a good thing.

Posted by: DavidinChelseaMA | Jul 13, 2013 9:29:52 PM