Gay Marriage | George W. Bush | News

George W. Bush Explains Why He Won't Speak Out Against Gay Marriage: VIDEO

Bush

President George W. Bush refused to comment on whether he supports same-sex marriage in an interview with reporter Jonathan Karl over the weekend. The questioning was inspired by remarks he made in Zambia last week, ABC News reports:

Bush had waded into the revitalized same-sex marriage debate last week - if only barely - in a comment to a reporter in Zambia, who asked whether gay marriage conflicts with Christian values.

In an interview in Tanzania with ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl, the former president explained his comment further.

“I meant it’s very important for people not to be overly critical of someone else until you’ve examined your own heart,” Bush told Karl.

As president, Bush opposed gay marriage, and Republicans pushed ballot measures to ban it at the state level.

Watch the interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. GWBush's PR advisors counseled him to keep his stupid mouth shut if he wants to rehabilitate his legacy. Opening up issues to debate like how we got caught with our pants down on 9/11, how we turned a surplus into a huge deficit, how we invaded the wrong country, how we let Wall Street rape Main Street, how his brother Jeb suppressed the vote in FL to allow an electoral victory to overcome a half-million popular vote loss, etc., etc...
    cannot bode well for his place in history.
    His lack of action on gay rights is the least of his shortcomings.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Jul 8, 2013 1:23:54 PM

2. Or- he only used gay marriage as a wedge I to get his ass elected & really didn't care about social conservatives after all.

Posted by: robroy | Jul 8, 2013 1:37:11 PM

3. “I shouldn’t be taking a speck out of someone else’s eye when I have a log in my own,” Bush said last week.

That's particularly cryptic for W. What does that even mean?

Posted by: anon | Jul 8, 2013 1:43:20 PM

4. I always liked him! I know he had some shortcomings, but he had good intentions. Not too bad in the sexy department either! His biggest failing is that he didnt control immigration. Way too many Mexicans here now.

Don't know why everyone hates on him. I guess they have their own mental issues to deal with. LOL!!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 8, 2013 1:43:52 PM

5. His wife loves gay people. They have gay friends.

Posted by: Jon | Jul 8, 2013 2:07:18 PM

6. The moron who broke America is still afraid of offending the social conservatives by offering an unequivocal endorsement of gay marriage.

Posted by: Richard | Jul 8, 2013 2:08:05 PM

7. Jonathan Karl is no journalist; he is a lick spittle ass kisser for the conservative movement. Karl and Bush both wish to re-write as much American history as possible to make the conservatives the victims.

Posted by: KevinSF | Jul 8, 2013 2:10:33 PM

8. The Bushes had several gay friends during their years in the White House and in their private lives have welcomed gay couples into their home. But he used anti-gay rhetoric to muster up votes, so I would hardly call him any sort of 'ally'.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jul 8, 2013 2:15:56 PM

9. This is the same evil hater who tried to make gays second class citizens forever by re-writting the Constitution.

And who ran his re-election campaign on the premise the gays are evil and deserve no rights! The cynicism is appalling.

Of course given the many many failures of GWB, this is another on a long long list.

As someone who lives in NYC in lower manhattan I saw exactly how great a job he did on 9/11. The greatest failure in Intelligence ever. Not a surprise considering the source, though.

Kiwi are you high or is the heat messing with you! I generally agree with you, but think your history re GWB could use a re-fresher! :)

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Jul 8, 2013 2:19:05 PM

10. The fake Little Kiwi posting anti-immigration and pro GWB sentiments is actually just Jason/Rick posting as Little Kiwi. Our troll has literally nothing better to do with his time than to try and ruin the reputation of others.

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 8, 2013 2:25:52 PM

11. No, MateoM. That's the real Kiwi. Go on his blog and you'll find plenty of stuff there that is consistent with his comment above. I liked him at first, but now it's pretty clear that he has issues.

Posted by: DerrickFromPhilly | Jul 8, 2013 2:54:59 PM

12. His citation of the Bible is applicable to people like Cardinal Dolan who should examine himself first before criticizing others. These are words of a true Christian.

Posted by: simon | Jul 8, 2013 2:57:28 PM

13. Maybe Laura calls it a log....

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 8, 2013 3:02:48 PM

14. "DerrickFromPhilly"

You f.cked up my posting name again...bytch.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 8, 2013 3:02:51 PM

15. I strive to forgive. But President Bush's 2004 election strategy deeply hurt me, and I still hold major resentment towards him.

I don't see him trying hard enough to redeem himself.

Posted by: Rafael | Jul 8, 2013 3:38:32 PM

16. In effect he's saying that gays have a problem, but that he has a bigger problem and that's why he didn't want to sound like a hypocrite. Well, sorry Dumbo, being gay isn't problem; yet you still have a whole forest in your eye and I frankly hope you go down in flames. He's the turd without the blossom.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Jul 8, 2013 3:43:06 PM

17. @Little Kiwi, I've always liked him too. He does seem like a good person. I'm just happy he's out of politics, because I disagreed with a lot of his policies. Go W!

Posted by: Luke | Jul 8, 2013 3:48:11 PM

18. Luke, that wasn't Little Kiwi posting that comment. The real Little Kiwi would spit at George W.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 8, 2013 3:53:23 PM

19. I agree with Little Kiwi. GWB was a heck of a lot better than the boy who is in the WH now. If GWB did one thing for this country, he cut taxes for the people who are actually productive and useful.

Posted by: Wayne | Jul 8, 2013 4:26:58 PM

20. So GWB pushing for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage to help his reelection effort is terrible but Clinton doing the exact same thing by signing DOMA is ok and he is to be forgiven?

Posted by: Paul | Jul 8, 2013 4:33:21 PM

21. "...he cut taxes for the people who are actually productive and useful. "

You mean like Paris Hilton?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 8, 2013 4:38:43 PM

22. Nice to see that Wayne is alive and well and can now allow his unfettered racism out here at trollroad.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jul 8, 2013 5:30:44 PM

23. Wayne is probably a self loathing republican and should not be taken seriously. I'm guessing its just another alias of Rick/Jason, who has also taken to posting under LittleKiwi, Derrick from Philly, and my own usernames, because he thinks by ruining our credibility he'll somehow improve his own.

Pathetic trolls are pathetic.

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 8, 2013 5:36:02 PM

24. @Wayne-

I hear ya brother! For all of his other faults, at least GWB understood that you don't tax the makers in order to give to the takers. My dad worked his way up to be the chief financial officer of a company. He didn't work his butt off to support a bunch of moochers and welfare queens. But he got hit with huuuge taxes cos we were in Canada. Too bad GWB couldn't be our President too!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 8, 2013 5:45:50 PM

25. Wow, fake Little Kiwi. You sound an awful lot like a disgruntled Rick/Jason (as does Wayne). That would be curious if we at Towleroad didn't already know you are all the same person, posting under different names. You're a tragic individual.

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 8, 2013 5:52:10 PM